10 Years on - what are people up to nowadays ? :)

Just like dongatello

I work at a large television company, you might not have heard of it if you are not from the UK but it is called Sky. I am working on their Sky Sports mobile platform.

I have also previously worked and brought you apps such as Moonpig, Photobox and Betfred Lotto.

I would say we were all quite lucky to have been exposed to programming at a young age, I think I would have preferred to be a bit more knowledgeable back when I was creating things for Runescape. hindsight is a wonderful thing.

[quote=“Ollie, post:25, topic:554672”]I work at a large television company, you might not have heard of it if you are not from the UK but it is called Sky. I am working on their Sky Sports mobile platform.

I have also previously worked and brought you apps such as Moonpig, Photobox and Betfred Lotto.

I would say we were all quite lucky to have been exposed to programming at a young age, I think I would have preferred to be a bit more knowledgeable back when I was creating things for Runescape. hindsight is a wonderful thing.[/quote]

You work at sky? Right on. I don’t but do know of it. I agree it has been a great learning experience.

Studied mechanical engineering and now am IT consultant :S

I’m studying for a computer science degree and working for a small business as an IT Support tech and software developer

se/consultant on the side

fashion

*noob: How do I solve this?

*Us vets: Back in my day…uh. Piss off im on irc.

get back to your pleasure dungeon!

Physics PhD student. Would honestly prefer a job like all your career people though.

I still code every day. Even work on open source stuff sometimes.

[quote=“yakman, post:33, topic:554672”]Physics PhD student. Would honestly prefer a job like all your career people though.

I still code every day. Even work on open source stuff sometimes.[/quote]whats your thesis about?

Were you responsible for the massive shared authentication token vulnerability? :slight_smile:

:>

Feeling nostalgic as fuck. Haven’t logged in here for a while and seeing names of people I spoke with 7+ years ago is mental.

Graduated with a bachelors in CS in 2013, now working in sales and about to go travelling for 6-12 months towards the end of the year!

[quote=“Mr.Chris, post:37, topic:554672”]Feeling nostalgic as fudge. Haven’t logged in here for a while and seeing names of people I spoke with 7+ years ago is mental.

Graduated with a bachelors in CS in 2013, now working in sales and about to go travelling for 6-12 months towards the end of the year![/quote]

Haven’t seen u in a while :slight_smile:

I’m an electrical engineer now.

UNFORTUNATELY THE ONLY WORK IVE DONE IS C PROGRAMMING THO :<

[quote=“Yz85Racer, post:39, topic:554672”]I’m an electrical engineer now.

UNFORTUNATELY THE ONLY WORK IVE DONE IS C PROGRAMMING THO :<[/quote]I have a friend who works in the Valley who’s basically in the same situation: he graduated with an EE degree and is now working full-time doing mainly C/C++ programming, but barely any physical hardware work.

[quote=“Yz85Racer, post:39, topic:554672”]I’m an electrical engineer now.

UNFORTUNATELY THE ONLY WORK IVE DONE IS C PROGRAMMING THO :<[/quote]
You almost certainly want to get used to that if you’re planning on staying in Australia. :frowning:

i got married when i was 19, things have been going well in that regard. i traded off high academia for an “alright” school i could breeze through so i could support myself independent of my parents, and established myself at a large automotive supplier. i interned as a hardware engineer even though i majored in CS (not sure how I convinced them, I didn’t even know what they were talking about at the interview, but it worked out), now i am full time making too much money writing awful c code for bluetooth low energy communications and cybersecurity (flip of the hat color, i feel gross)… after this project i may go into their r&d department as they know this doesn’t scratch my bleeding edge itch even though it’s our most advanced project thus far. i’ve considered SV a few times but i am rooted here for now, maybe in the future
I’ve also gotten very interested in marijuana and psychedelics, which have helped me get better / find some direction

So anyone got any updates? :slight_smile:

I’m in the situation where my corporate job is kinda boring at the moment.

We get to use a lot of the latest tools and so on. We’ve also got a lot of great things in place, like continuous integration and one-click build/deployment for a lot of our software.

On the other hand, we’ve recently indulged in so-called ‘pure scrum’ which is tedious. The worst part is the fortnightly 4 to 5 hour meeting block (a series of scrum meetings that are back-to-back).

I look at job ads and they’re all stuck using far older stuff. I kinda feel like anywhere I go from here is going to be a step backwards technology-wise. Does anyone have experience with this? Does it even matter in terms of fulfillment in the role?