2 cubby invites

http://cubby.com

who wants

what is it

so its like dropbox, but…

named differently?

i guess

Splash page looks more awesome than dropbox.

[quote=“Pwnd, post:5, topic:442563”]Splash page looks more awesome than dropbox.[/quote]true

yeah ill try it, my dropbox is shafted

[quote=“Davidi2, post:3, topic:442563”]so its like dropbox, but…

named differently?[/quote]

No.

It has P2P file synchronisation. You can choose to synchronise any folder you want, regardless of size and it doesn’t have to upload any of it to anyones servers, it’ll stay on your own machines.

You can have stuff be uploaded, but I use it mainly for the P2P stuff.

Why do that? What’s the advantage of that over uploading it to the cloud? If you keep it on your own computers you’re limited to your own up limits and speeds (especially in places like Australia), each time you want to download to a new location (unless of course it’s within your own LAN, but Dropbox has a sort of P2P from within your own LAN as well)

I would have thought the advantages were obvious:

1. Synchronise huge folders without any cost. You cannot synchronise terabytes of data with Dropbox or anything of the sort for anything close to free.
  2. Security. Your data doesn’t leave your own computers and is encrypted during transmission. Also, you will be able to choose your own custom encryption keys soon.
If you keep it on your own computers you're limited to your own up limits and speeds

That’s exactly the same with Dropbox and other similar services. You still have to upload the data to Dropbox then download it again from then. Though I would expect the large majority of synchronisation of a large folder to be done at home, so there is no internet usage for that.

If you use dropbox, you only need to upload once. If you use your own connection you need to upload every time you download somewhere else as well. That was my point :stuck_out_tongue:

I didn’t think about huge folders though, probably because I never have any. That’s the main advantage I see. Security is meh. If they can gain access to your dropbox chances are you’re not very secure anyways (barring certain circumstances). But honestly if I’m transferring secure data I’d prefer to just use my own network or some other standard transmission protocol over an external programs protocol

[quote=“tL, post:10, topic:442563”]Though I would expect the large majority of synchronisation of a large folder to be done at home, so there is no internet usage for that.[/quote]Like I said, dropbox also uses P2P for LAN file transmission. I’m not 100% sure as to the conditions, but I know it does :stuck_out_tongue:

@tL: Sure, those arguments apply in cases where you either need to synchronize large or confidential files. But for your average school work you want to be able to upload it to a place where you can download it when you want, even if your computer at home is turned off.

[quote=“R.I.P RSC, post:12, topic:442563”]@tL: Sure, those arguments apply in cases where you either need to synchronize large or confidential files. But for your average school work you want to be able to upload it to a place where you can download it when you want, even if your computer at home is turned off.[/quote]Cubby still has this feature, I simply said it was dropbox because that’s what it’s going to be mainly used for

Like Davidi2 said, Cubby still has that feature. Besides, I’m not sure what your point was - I was responding to “so its like dropbox, but… named differently?” I showed it was not as it offers some more features on top of that too. Dropbox offers nothing like that.

[quote=“Davidi2, post:11, topic:442563”]If you use dropbox, you only need to upload once. If you use your own connection you need to upload every time you download somewhere else as well. That was my point :stuck_out_tongue:

I didn’t think about huge folders though, probably because I never have any. That’s the main advantage I see. Security is meh. If they can gain access to your dropbox chances are you’re not very secure anyways (barring certain circumstances). But honestly if I’m transferring secure data I’d prefer to just use my own network or some other standard transmission protocol over an external programs protocol

[quote author=tL link=topic=545249.msg3997280#msg3997280 date=1337452672]
Though I would expect the large majority of synchronisation of a large folder to be done at home, so there is no internet usage for that.
[/quote]Like I said, dropbox also uses P2P for LAN file transmission. I’m not 100% sure as to the conditions, but I know it does :P[/quote]

I think you guys are trying to limit these services down to your own usages, like a small backup service for your school work. People use this stuff for much more than this, and Dropbox is massively limited in doing anything but small backup and synchronisation without paying huge prices for storage.

Cubby provides the small back up and synchronisation AND it provides secure, pure P2P folder synchronisation. Your own limited usages of these services doesn’t make these extra features as insignificant as you guys are implying.

RE: Dropbox LAN sync, but that is just to save time and data usage. It doesn’t provide any advantages space wise, like, I can synchronise a folder hundreds of gigabytes, or terabytes for free. Then if it is a small folder, just check ‘Sync to cloud’ too if I want it backed up and accessible online via the web interface.

[quote=“sanga282, post:7, topic:442563”]yeah ill try it, my dropbox is shafted[/quote]email address? you can send it to my inbox or over IRC (to z)