2006 RuneScape Website Remake - Open Source - RuneLight

[SIZE=3]Introduction[/SIZE]

RuneLight is an open-source project I decided to start ( on July 27th ) with the hope of getting more people into Java Servlet and FreeMarker based website development. In addition to this, SASS was also added to help improve the framework’s CSS.

Some CSS3 used in this application will not work in anything below IE11. But you should already know how much IE sucks right?

[HR]

[SIZE=3]What is FreeMarker?[/SIZE]

tl;dr: FreeMarker is a strong alternative to JSP. It forces you to keep code out of the view, and thus more strongly enforce MVC conventions. (And much more than that, but… This is a tl;dr, after all…)

FreeMarker website: FreeMarker Java Template Engine

[HR]

[SIZE=3]Why the 2006 RuneScape site? It looks like shit![/SIZE]

Indeed it does! That said, it’s always been my favorite version of the site, probably because it’s the first one I saw. I haven’t played around in the RSPS community in a few years, and decided I’d like to try to contribute something halfway decent for once, instead of just the few small things here and there… Even if the website it’s based on looks like crap! :smiley:

This will not be a 1:1 pixel-by-pixel match for the old site… As I won’t be using Jagex’s CSS and markup (due to obvious legal reasons). I’ll be doing my own markup and HTML, and won’t be 100% replicating the old thing… Closer to, say, 90-95%. If I find a good spot that really looks like it needs to be tweaked a slight bit, I’ll go ahead and do it. Other than that, I’ll try to get it as close as I possibly can, but won’t be super-duper nitpicky about it.

More-over, I suck with graphics. So any graphics made by me, will generally suck. I won’t be using the Jagex-made ones… Again, for obvious reasons. If you’d like to help out in this area, please shoot me a message. <3

[HR]

[SIZE=3]Jagex Copyright[/SIZE]

Since all of the Jagex-made HTML/CSS/images belong to them… I’ll be making my own for this project. They are, like everything else in the project, open-source and free to use in your projects (you don’t even have to use them with this framework!).

While I am good with CSS and general markup, be warned that my graphic abilities do suck quite hard. Feel free to make your own images to replace my crappy ones, and even donate them to the project if you so desire! :slight_smile:

[HR]

[SIZE=3]About[/SIZE]

RuneLight isn’t really anything to write home about yet. At present it’s just a bare-bones framework that’s about ready for content to be added, with the addition of a few (equally bare-bones) content pages.

The project uses Maven to compile into a WAR format.

And last but not least… This project is a learning experience for me. I’ve always been far more advanced with frontend development as opposed to backend development, so I’ll be putting most of my focus into improving the backend… Especially considering the old RS website doesn’t have much in the way of frontend to begin with…

Development on this may be slow, or forgotten, at times. I do have a full time job and a company that I run on the side. So… Life first, fun second. :slight_smile:

[HR]

[SIZE=3]GitHub[/SIZE]

RuneLight Repo:
https://github.com/Giselle-Gewelle/runelight

Development Branch (may be potentially broken and/or have unfinished code):
https://github.com/Giselle-Gewelle/runelight/tree/development

[HR]

[size=3]Active Branch[/size]

Currently working on the monumental task that is the ticketing system. Monumental because… It ties into literally almost everything. Forums, offenses, moderator offers, admin<->user messaging, blah blah blah. Also because I have to make the appropriate staff/admin panel sections for admins to be able to message users.

Branch:
ticketing

Just finished re-creating all of the images (pain in the ASS), and will now be working on the main ticketing section that is viewable by users - starting with the database portion.

[HR]

[SIZE=3]Releases[/SIZE]

v0.1: https://github.com/Giselle-Gewelle/runelight/releases/tag/v0.1
v0.2: https://github.com/Giselle-Gewelle/runelight/releases/tag/v0.2

[HR]

[SIZE=3]Media[/SIZE]

[spoiler]

(yes, that news header image IS hand-made)

[/spoiler]

[HR]

Cool.

Latest Update:

Working on the admin panel, and just finished up the user account list.

You can search all accounts by username and/or IP address (current AND created IPs). View full user details will most likely come next.

Branch: admin-panel (GitHub)

[hr]

Update 2:

Finishing up the (currently very basic) user details page:

Eventually you’ll be able to perform actions on users, view ALL of their password changes, logins, etc… But for now, it’s just a simple view.

Anyways, likely moving onto the news posting/editing/deleting section of the staff/admin panel next…

Cool. We done it in the past with PHP about 2 years ago, it’ll be nice to compare :slight_smile:

Keep it up.

[quote=“Ruby, post:4, topic:552766”]Cool. We done it in the past with PHP about 2 years ago, it’ll be nice to compare :slight_smile:

Keep it up.[/quote]

Thanks for the feedback!

Might you have the link to the PHP one? I’d love to see it. :o

[quote=“Giselle, post:5, topic:552766”][quote author=Ruby link=topic=671681.msg4492141#msg4492141 date=1438798035]
Cool. We done it in the past with PHP about 2 years ago, it’ll be nice to compare :slight_smile:

Keep it up.
[/quote]

Thanks for the feedback!

Might you have the link to the PHP one? I’d love to see it. :o[/quote]
Justin done most of the core development on it, I just cleaned up a few things and added a few features later on in development.

[quote=“Ruby, post:6, topic:552766”][quote author=Giselle link=topic=671681.msg4492142#msg4492142 date=1438798209]

Thanks for the feedback!

Might you have the link to the PHP one? I’d love to see it. :o
[/quote]
Justin done most of the core development on it, I just cleaned up a few things and added a few features later on in development.

Looks alright so far, though I’ve not looked too far into it. Glad to see people making use of OO and PDO in PHP, even if I mostly dropped PHP awhile ago. Pretty nostalgic stuff! :smiley:

Might I ask if you know more technologies (for web-based things) than Ruby and PHP? :o I’ve been meaning to get into Ruby on Rails, but I just love the Servlet/Freemarker combination so damn much. xD

[quote=“Giselle, post:7, topic:552766”][quote author=Ruby link=topic=671681.msg4492151#msg4492151 date=1438802928]

[/quote]

Looks alright so far, though I’ve not looked too far into it. Glad to see people making use of OO and PDO in PHP, even if I mostly dropped PHP awhile ago. Pretty nostalgic stuff! :smiley:

Might I ask if you know more technologies (for web-based things) than Ruby and PHP? :o I’ve been meaning to get into Ruby on Rails, but I just love the Servlet/Freemarker combination so damn much. xD[/quote]
I stopped writing PHP at the end of that project (2 and a half years ago-ish?) and moved to rails/sinatra. I’ve personally not written a line of code in over a year, I was too busy with my real life work and training etc to be programming! If you’re looking into further development options you should go on the irc and speak to a guy named misterhat, he’ll answer anything you need to know on alternative methods especially sinatra/ruby/express/node etc!

If you can’t find him, speak to justaguy/anthony (can’t remember what he called himself on here) and he should be able to help you, very knowledgeable guy with a lot to give in terms of programming.

[quote=“Ruby, post:8, topic:552766”][quote author=Giselle link=topic=671681.msg4492153#msg4492153 date=1438805173]

Might I ask if you know more technologies (for web-based things) than Ruby and PHP? :o I’ve been meaning to get into Ruby on Rails, but I just love the Servlet/Freemarker combination so damn much. xD
[/quote]
I stopped writing PHP at the end of that project (2 and a half years ago-ish?) and moved to rails/sinatra. I’ve personally not written a line of code in over a year, I was too busy with my real life work and training etc to be programming! If you’re looking into further development options you should go on the irc and speak to a guy named misterhat, he’ll answer anything you need to know on alternative methods especially sinatra/ruby/express/node etc!

If you can’t find him, speak to justaguy/anthony (can’t remember what he called himself on here) and he should be able to help you, very knowledgeable guy with a lot to give in terms of programming.[/quote]

Will do! Thanks for the tips. :slight_smile:

[HR]

Update

Working on this thing here:

You should do a 2004 version as well :slight_smile:
This looks awesome

Fix your github links. They are broken

[quote=“Rodgerwilco, post:10, topic:552766”]You should do a 2004 version as well :slight_smile:
This looks awesome

Fix your github links. They are broken[/quote]

Why 2004, might I ask? I do like the site from back then, so I’m just curious. :slight_smile: Now, do you mean 2004, or early 2005? Early 2005 being the one with the updated home page. I only ask because the 2005 home page makes things a lot easier to access. :stuck_out_tongue:

And thanks for pointing that out! Should be fixed now. :smiley:

Anywho, I’d be working more on news uploading, but I just installed a new SSD into my desktop and am in the process of reinstalling Windows. After which I’ll be setting up my development environment again, blegh. Oh well, shiny new SSD! :3

[quote=“Giselle, post:11, topic:552766”][quote author=Rodgerwilco link=topic=671681.msg4492356#msg4492356 date=1438974129]
You should do a 2004 version as well :slight_smile:
This looks awesome

Fix your github links. They are broken
[/quote]

Why 2004, might I ask?[/quote]

He’s one of our resident RSC fags, anything from that era will probably give him a solid hard on for about 10-15 minutes at a time.

I cannot wait to see the finished product, looking through the repo… Mind blowing.

:smiley:

Great job, I’ll let you know if I find any problems in the code (But beware, I’m not a web dev… )

Thanks for open sourcing it as well!

[quote=“Ruby, post:12, topic:552766”][quote author=Giselle link=topic=671681.msg4492380#msg4492380 date=1438984904]

Why 2004, might I ask?
[/quote]

He’s one of our resident RSC fags, anything from that era will probably give him a solid hard on for about 10-15 minutes at a time.[/quote]

Ruby is just intimidated that someone is posting legitimate content in the Web development section. He once roamed this land but is no longer relevant.

[quote=“Rodgerwilco, post:14, topic:552766”][quote author=Ruby link=topic=671681.msg4492385#msg4492385 date=1438986611]

He’s one of our resident RSC fags, anything from that era will probably give him a solid hard on for about 10-15 minutes at a time.
[/quote]

Ruby is just intimidated that someone is posting legitimate content in the Web development section. He once roamed this land but is no longer relevant.[/quote]

Hahahaha dude I’m stoked people are posting in here now. I’ve got like 1k of the posts in this board, it’s good to see other people using it other than me just rambling on.

[quote=“Supaz, post:13, topic:552766”]I cannot wait to see the finished product, looking through the repo… Mind blowing.

:smiley:

Great job, I’ll let you know if I find any problems in the code (But beware, I’m not a web dev… )

Thanks for open sourcing it as well![/quote]

Thanks so much! I’m putting a lot of effort into this project, so I really hope it turns out well. :slight_smile:

Working on getting my development environment set back up now that I’ve installed my shiny new internal SSD, so hopefully I’ll be up and running again within a few hours! Should I write some more detailed install instructions for the project, or do you guys think that the shitty ones on the README are good enough?

Last time I was around (different acc, 2-3 years ago [?]), there were tons of people posting. Bit sad to see if diminished so much.

Anywho, posted this on R-S originally, then remembered why I always hated R-S… Not a fun place.

Thanks for all the support, I’ve never shown any of my work with servlets to people before, so I’m happy to see feedback. :slight_smile:

[HR]

Update:

Back up and running! :smiley:

[HR]

Update 2:

Finished up news article posting AND editing (finally)!

[spoiler]

“test” being a newly created article, and “Test title 5” being an edited article (new icon).

[/spoiler]

These changes are on both the admin-panel branch and the development branch.

[HR]

Update 3:

Got news article deletion done and pushed to admin-panel AND development! Also pushed the contents of development up to master.

I’m super drunk right now, and was also very drunk when writing the code for this. May be buggy? Dunno, drunk. Enjoy! Will be working on password changing (again), next.

[HR]

Update 4:

Did this password change thing. Pushed to development and master.

Should I maybe put up a demo site sometime in the near future?

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

[HR]

Update 5:

Pushed out a v0.1 release to GitHub, which can be found here: https://github.com/Giselle-Gewelle/runelight/releases/tag/v0.1

Release includes:

• A ZIP archive containing a pre-built WAR file for the application, a sample properties file, the README from GitHub, the license, and the SQL files needed for anything up to the eventual release of v1.0.
  • The source code (derp)

Let me know what ya think if anyone decides to set her up. Doesn’t take much, but give me a shout or something if I need to write up some actual (better) install instructions than the crap I put into the README. :slight_smile:

[HR]

Update 6:

Starting on this ticketing/message center thing. Images (including the header) are all hand made and free-to-rip:

Trying to remember all of the behaviors that I researched for it a few years back… Hard to remember them all. The message center requires IE11+, because of some CSS3 shit I did.

Also running out of room here… <.>

post for you to post more

Keep up the good work bruthaaa

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Tryin’! Anywho, here’s the point I got to earlier today, message viewing:

Messages will be marked as read when they are read (by the receiver), and the icon (on the right) will change to reflect that, as with the old message centre. The reply link will only appear if the ‘canReply’ flag (in the DB) is set to true AND if you’re not the last person to send a message in that thread.

Message that can not be replied to, and has not been read (by the receiver of the message):

Message that CAN be replied to, and HAS been read by the receiver:

Anywho, this is all on the ticketing branch. All of the images are hand-made (much like the rest of the website). The images are will a WIP, as you can see from the slightly cutoff shadows on the stamps.

Be aware that the branch may be buggy and/or constantly updated over the next few days. :3

[HR]

Update:

Beware that release v0.1 has test data in the DML files. Silly me forgot to remove it.

The ticketing branch now has far more detailed installation instructions on the README. Currently they’re only for a local environment, and only for Tomcat, but I do plan the make the project more flexible and not constrained to Tomcat in the future. I also plan to add production installation instructions in the future.

On top of all that, tickets now conform more to the old RS behaviors when attempting to view them. When you’re trying to view a ticket that does not belong to you, it will now tell you that you are not authorized, as opposed to saying that the ticket does not exist.

(Note that it says authorized instead of authorised. I’m using the US spelling for everything on the site, since I live in the US. :3)

[HR]

Update 2:

Finishing up the main sections of the ticketing system. The behavior shown in the images is the behavior I’ve seen based on various images of the old ticketing system.

Player replying to staff:

View thread with replies:

[HR]

Update 3:

Working on staff center things for this:

[HR]

Update 4:

Message sent from the Staff Center:

[HR]

Update 5:

And now I’m here, user-submitted Support queries:

Will be working on the Staff Center portion of this next.

[HR]

New post pls? :o

well this is coming a long great, send me your To Do and i’ll contrib a bit, My skype (if you want it) is LoganGar

~ Supaz