Beginning Front-end

No, no it’s not. And if you’re referring to Rails, even plebs can’t handle the ease and power of Rails.

[quote=“my-swagger, post:20, topic:555041”]Ruby is a framework targeted for most users though.

I’d recommend the Spring framework if that’s the case.[/quote]
I think the Ruby being a framework thing is a typo not you actually thinking that.

But why would you recommend Spring, it’s not overly scale-able and it really doesn’t match up to the power and usability of the Ruby frameworks, so why would you recommend someone uses Spring over Sinatra?

I’m not trying to be a dick about this but I’m trying to get my point over that there’s a right tool for every job on a website, whether that be using CSS preprocessors or using an entire framework for your backend web development it’s not as simple as “one size fits all”, it takes a layered approach. This then brings it on to over-bloating etc but that’s a whole different conversation. I’m not saying that Ruby is the answer to all of your problems but those are the best examples that most people know about, we can do this with Expressjs, Nodejs, Django, Flask etc.

Every framework has its positives and its negatives, you need to prioritize what is key to your project and go from there.

The ruby thing was a typo :stuck_out_tongue:

I only recommend spring because we use it at work, it is highly scalable and we use it for pretty much everything. It’s very employable too (this bit might depend on where you’re based as I’ve seen many Spring related jobs and some others).

I’ve read each of your replies and I’m, as a beginner, trying to grasp on what all of it could be used for. Typically speaking, in an everyday life for one of you (as a web developer), what tools would you use on creating websites for clients. I’m looking to get everything I need, or could use, on a PC and learn how I should use each of them after I’ve got them. If that makes any sense.

So first and foremost, website development and website design are two totally different things so you’ll need to clear up which you’re looking to pursue.

Second of all, because we’re probably all at different stages of our careers and have different preferences there will be different opinions that come out. For example, I’ve been a website designer and developer since around the mid-late 00’s so I may have a different view and I know I’ve found something that works for me and my style in that time.

If you let me know what it is you’re trying to pursue and your current skills/experiences and goals then I’ll try and point you in the right direction :slight_smile:

[quote=“Ruby, post:25, topic:555041”][quote author=Adobe link=topic=673963.msg4506389#msg4506389 date=1459367728]
I’ve read each of your replies and I’m, as a beginner, trying to grasp on what all of it could be used for. Typically speaking, in an everyday life for one of you (as a web developer), what tools would you use on creating websites for clients. I’m looking to get everything I need, or could use, on a PC and learn how I should use each of them after I’ve got them. If that makes any sense.
[/quote]

So first and foremost, website development and website design are two totally different things so you’ll need to clear up which you’re looking to pursue.

Second of all, because we’re probably all at different stages of our careers and have different preferences there will be different opinions that come out. For example, I’ve been a website designer and developer since around the mid-late 00’s so I may have a different view and I know I’ve found something that works for me and my style in that time.

If you let me know what it is you’re trying to pursue and your current skills/experiences and goals then I’ll try and point you in the right direction :)[/quote]

Thank you! I know they are two different things. I am interested in development, not as much design. Front end is what I enjoy, but I’m going to college for web development, so I might as well try to learn back end as well.

I’m a senior in high school, planning to go to college this year. Some examples of the classes I’ll have are webpage design(goes over basic html, css, js, etc) then advanced webpage development(responsive web pages, html5, css3, etc) and after college I am interested in working for a company, not sure on where yet, but I’d like to have either a full stack development job or a front end position. (I’d like to know both, just incase that’s what I may have to do in the end). As well as while I have that company or industry job, I’d like to freelance on the side possibly. I’m really just in need to know of what all programs and tools I need to do all of this, and not have to worry “can I do this with what I use?” I want everything installed, placed in correct places, downloaded, a sense on how to use them, and when I should use the variety of them. I’m asking somewhat for you developers what do you do in your everyday life and how so. Thanks, I do appreciate replies as this is an important time in my life.

Edit: current skills are: html, getting a grasp on html5 elements, css, somewhat css3, and that’s about it honestly.

I’ve used bootstrap on a website I practiced on for a pet shop in town, it’s located at janimalhouse.comlu.com but I would like to know if there’s something better I should be using because all bootstrap websites tend to look the same and in doing so I didn’t really know how everything was working, just that it was working because of certain class names at the time.

[quote=“Adobe, post:26, topic:555041”][quote author=Ruby link=topic=673963.msg4506393#msg4506393 date=1459375175]

If you let me know what it is you’re trying to pursue and your current skills/experiences and goals then I’ll try and point you in the right direction :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Thank you! I know they are two different things. I am interested in development, not as much design. Front end is what I enjoy, but I’m going to college for web development, so I might as well try to learn back end as well.

I’m a senior in high school, planning to go to college this year. Some examples of the classes I’ll have are webpage design(goes over basic html, css, js, etc) then advanced webpage development(responsive web pages, html5, css3, etc) and after college I am interested in working for a company, not sure on where yet, but I’d like to have either a full stack development job or a front end position. (I’d like to know both, just incase that’s what I may have to do in the end). As well as while I have that company or industry job, I’d like to freelance on the side possibly. I’m really just in need to know of what all programs and tools I need to do all of this, and not have to worry “can I do this with what I use?” I want everything installed, placed in correct places, downloaded, a sense on how to use them, and when I should use the variety of them. I’m asking somewhat for you developers what do you do in your everyday life and how so. Thanks, I do appreciate replies as this is an important time in my life.

Edit: current skills are: html, getting a grasp on html5 elements, css, somewhat css3, and that’s about it honestly.

I’ve used bootstrap on a website I practiced on for a pet shop in town, it’s located at janimalhouse.comlu.com but I would like to know if there’s something better I should be using because all bootstrap websites tend to look the same and in doing so I didn’t really know how everything was working, just that it was working because of certain class names at the time.[/quote]

Okay, so my day to day tasks and environments I would ALWAYS use as a developer do change quite regularly. That’s the one thing about a career as a website developer is that the chances of you doing the same thing twice are very very very slim, people always want variations and differences that mean you’ll rarely do something twice, which is a good thing. However, that also means the tasks and trials change.

As for what I use for actually writing etc the programs are:
Sublime Text is my text editor.
Fling by NCH is my FTP software.
WAMP for my local web server for testing etc.
Asana for project management.

With my daily tasks etc, they change project to project. Because I run the company I’m regarded as one of the more senior developers (when I have to do work, I generally try and avoid working on the sites and stick to the sales side) so I just fill in when I have to so whether we’re working on a huge education website for a massive college or working on a 3 pager for a dog walking summer job it totally depends on what the clients requirements are. This is key to note because this will change depending on what business you go into, if you go in as an in-house website developer for a large firm you’ll probably be tasked with similar projects. If you come into the end-user side of the business you’ll be tasked with whatever the client wants and that’s where the real creativity happens because, as I said, no one wants the same thing done twice.

You already obviously know the languages you have to use so I’d focus on perfecting those before you go anywhere else, then move on and get a general understanding of where else you want to go. If you’re looking to work for a company you can’t really pull off the “I can do everything” approach so you’d be better finding an area of development you love with a language you enjoy writing in and leading with “I’m an expert in writing and perfecting secure payment systems using the popular python framework, Django. However, I also know this this and this and can fluently use this this and this to achieve this outcome.”

Before you really look at becoming a website developer you need to understand the design aspect and why it is what it is, so keep your focus on the HTML5, CSS3 and JavaScript base right now and once you can write that at the speed you can type a letter at I’d then move to looking at more of the back-end areas.

In regards to Bootstrap, every site looks the same with it because everyone uses their base templates. That’s not what it’s supposed to be used for, it’s for fast, read-to-go “one size fits all” responsive development. Once you get a better understanding of the CSS side of things, you’ll see the real power of Bootstrap and how it can be used ALONGSIDE your skill rather than to SUBSTITUTE for it (something most RSPS community members and beginner website designers don’t understand). I myself prefer to use Foundation, but there are alternatives such as Purecss.io by Yahoo and Skeleton. It’s totally down to what you like to use and what fits your style.

If that didn’t clear it up for you let me know, there’s a lot of info in there.

If you’ve got any other questions keep them coming.

First and foremost, thank you for all you’ve told me so far. I want you to know the stuff you’re advising is being written down as notes, and not being forgotten as I post afterwards.

Yes, your reply did help in many ways. I have a tad bit more to ask. You mention that I should work on perfecting the languages used, how do you, or where do you, suggest I do so? Then you mention using foundation preferably. Do you use frameworks such as this on every project, or just a few quick ones?

[quote=“Adobe, post:28, topic:555041”]First and foremost, thank you for all you’ve told me so far. I want you to know the stuff you’re advising is being written down as notes, and not being forgotten as I post afterwards.

Yes, your reply did help in many ways. I have a tad bit more to ask. You mention that I should work on perfecting the languages used, how do you, or where do you, suggest I do so? Then you mention using foundation preferably. Do you use frameworks such as this on every project, or just a few quick ones?[/quote]

No problem at all, I like helping people who genuinely want to learn.

The best way I learned was just practice practice and more practice. I done a lot of similar projects like yourself, local businesses that were too small to really afford a properly done website, I used to go and speak to them and let them know my plans and what I wanted to be, I’d then tell them I’d give them a free website to their needs, all they had to do was visualise what they wanted and to not let me stop until they were 100% satisfied with it.

It doesn’t make you any money, but you’re passing on value and learning which is genuinely the greatest thing you can do for a business. If they grow into a more successful business with greater revenue, the first person they’re coming to for rebranding, SEO, maintenance etc is gonna be you.

By doing this it helps you learn and come on leaps and bounds, you have to treat them as though they’re a real client. For a few reasons, actually:

1. Learning to develop and write a website is half the battle, doing it to a specific need and timescale is the other half.
  2. It gives you real-world experiences of what website development is like, this way you know if it’s something you’re going to enjoy.
  3. It brings you experience upon experience with building different websites and dealing with different “clients”.
  4. It enhances your portfolio 10 fold, if you add in the basic functionality to track clicks and other marketing techniques you can use this in your pitch to new prospects.

Other than that, look at websites that inspire you. Ones that made you want to be able to create the same things, ones that are innovative and impressive. Then open up their source code and see how they’re doing certain things, figure out what you’re reading and figure out the guts of it and that will add further knowledge.

And always remember; applied knowledge is power. It’s all good and well KNOWING these things but you have to push it and apply it to your work.

As for the questions surrounding frameworks: I almost always use Skeleton for the grid template, grids make the development process much quicker and make achieving responsive websites fundamentally easy. I don’t need everything that Foundation or Bootstrap or Purecss offer, but I could always use a process for speeding up the development and that’s what Skeleton allows. It’s lightweight, well documented and easy to understand.

Anything else, fire away :slight_smile:

First and foreskin, great posts ruby. Very informative

Thanks!

It’s rare to find someone who actually wants to learn so I thought I’d make the effort :o

Honestly I don’t think I could think of another question that you haven’t already answered. I’ve been practicing and will continue doing so. Your posts have been inspiring and very beneficial to myself and probably others that read them wondering the same things. Thanks, Ruby. I’ll be back with more questions as I go I’m sure, hope you stick around for those times!

Perfect, no problem at all I’m happy to help!

If you post some of your code/designs here I’ll tell you where you could improve etc too and hopefully that will pick up on any early mistakes made!

I’ve been here for many many years and I’ll be here for many more :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“Ruby, post:27, topic:555041”]As for what I use for actually writing etc the programs are:
Asana for project management.[/quote]

gross

I recommend you learn js and try node out once you feel comfortable with it

it will save you from ever having to use something gross like php or xampp

[quote=“Death Style, post:35, topic:555041”]I recommend you learn js and try node out once you feel comfortable with it

it will save you from ever having to use something gross like php or xampp[/quote]js is gross. Use Ruby

In other words, you can use Ruby (Opal), compile to js, and just run js without having to use shitty syntax of javascript

[quote=“Pwnd, post:36, topic:555041”][quote author=Death Style link=topic=673963.msg4506623#msg4506623 date=1459823849]
I recommend you learn js and try node out once you feel comfortable with it

it will save you from ever having to use something gross like php or xampp
[/quote]js is gross. Use Ruby

In other words, you can use Ruby (Opal), compile to js, and just run js without having to use shitty syntax of javascript[/quote]

How’s it feel using a language that has no use except for Rails?

[size=6pt]tbh I know Ruby too so I know the feels[/size]

[quote=“Ecko, post:34, topic:555041”][quote author=Ruby link=topic=673963.msg4506410#msg4506410 date=1459411372]
As for what I use for actually writing etc the programs are:
Asana for project management.
[/quote]

gross[/quote]
is not

[quote=“justaguy, post:37, topic:555041”][quote author=Pwnd link=topic=673963.msg4506626#msg4506626 date=1459827569]

[size=6pt]tbh I know Ruby too so I know the feels[/size][/quote]What…

[quote=“Pwnd, post:39, topic:555041”][quote author=justaguy link=topic=673963.msg4506627#msg4506627 date=1459828054]

[quote author=Pwnd link=topic=673963.msg4506626#msg4506626 date=1459827569]

[size=6pt]tbh I know Ruby too so I know the feels[/size]
[/quote]What…[/quote]

You know it’s true… name one other thing Ruby is known for outside of Rails.