Best Android Phone for AT&T or T-Mobile?

Title says it all, what is one that’s affordable, yet not too obsolete? If it supports ICS I would love it more…

We need to know your definition of affordable. It varies between people who have different budgets.

I’m going for anything less than $300.

With a new contract you could get any new phone, they usually hit the market at $299 and decrease as they become outdated. Without a contract you’d be better off looking for something slightly used, straight from the carrier/manufacturer will run $400-500ish unless you get one of the cheaper phones.

Galaxy S2 is $99 new from AT&T with the contract, $449 without.
Galaxy S3 and HTC One X are $199 new $549 without,

I will be going with a prepaid plan, so no contract, www.cowboom.com is an excellent place to get used phones, I just need one that is under $300, yet modern.

May I ask why you specifically ask for a phone for AT&T or T-Mobile? If you don’t go for a contract, it won’t matter what phone you buy. Most of the phones are either sim-lock free, or unlockable.

It matters in the US, because there are 4 main cell phone providers, AT&T and T-Mobile are GSM (meaning they have SIM-cards) and are pretty much compatible I think, and Verizon and Sprint who are both CDMA, and aren’t really compatible except for some phones which require a firmware re-flash to switch networks.

[quote=“Moparisthebest, post:7, topic:447616”][quote author=R.I.P RSC link=topic=550516.msg4035317#msg4035317 date=1341156501]
May I ask why you specifically ask for a phone for AT&T or T-Mobile? If you don’t go for a contract, it won’t matter what phone you buy. Most of the phones are either sim-lock free, or unlockable.
[/quote]

It matters in the US, because there are 4 main cell phone providers, AT&T and T-Mobile are GSM (meaning they have SIM-cards) and are pretty much compatible I think, and Verizon and Sprint who are both CDMA, and aren’t really compatible except for some phones which require a firmware re-flash to switch networks.[/quote]
Exactly, according to the site of the prepaid service I’m getting, no blackberrys are supported, so I guess they aren’t GSM. I love the Droid Razr, but its only supported with Verizon, I might just await the arrival of Jelly Bean, then switch.

[quote=“HcoJustin, post:4, topic:447616”][quote author=tyb97 link=topic=550516.msg4035210#msg4035210 date=1341146188]
I’m going for anything less than $300.
[/quote]

With a new contract you could get any new phone, they usually hit the market at $299 and decrease as they become outdated. Without a contract you’d be better off looking for something slightly used, straight from the carrier/manufacturer will run $400-500ish unless you get one of the cheaper phones.

Galaxy S2 is $99 new from AT&T with the contract, $449 without.
Galaxy S3 and HTC One X are $199 new $549 without,[/quote]
The Samsung Galaxy S3 is a great phone, my sister got it the other day.
http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/samsung/galaxy-s-iii-pebble-blue.html#fbid=4J2jyPyJ72p

[quote="`SJ_, post:9, topic:447616"]The Samsung Galaxy S3 is a great phone, my sister got it the other day.
http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/samsung/galaxy-s-iii-pebble-blue.html#fbid=4J2jyPyJ72p[/quote]
I like this phone alot, only issue is the price tag.

[quote=“tyb97, post:10, topic:447616”][quote author=`SJ_ link=topic=550516.msg4035543#msg4035543 date=1341171690]
The Samsung Galaxy S3 is a great phone, my sister got it the other day.
http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/samsung/galaxy-s-iii-pebble-blue.html#fbid=4J2jyPyJ72p
[/quote]
I like this phone alot, only issue is the price tag.[/quote]

The two year contract isn’t entirely bad.

Not looking for a contract, I’ve said this.