Brace yourself as I divide by 0

[quote=“Roar337, post:20, topic:554441”]Lmfao you guys are so dumb it’s painful you can’t even comprehend the concept of a “Original Idea” the argument is legit and well explained just because something hasn’t been said before or just because you fail to understand does not mean that it’s wrong.

And I have no desire to read about numbers because I understand them much better then most people do even if my math skills aren’t very advanced besides that wasn’t math it was theory at best.

You should be quiet now before I smack you with a tuna everybody knows if you get smacked by a tuna you turn purple.

[Quote=eyeownyew]
Are you serious? Yes, I can solve a lot of problems with math. That’s the entire damn point of it. There is no other point to it, it was created for interpreting and analyzing the real world.
[/Quote]

Really? Well congratulations seeing as how you’ve done nothing and hundreds of thousands or more people have died while you kicked your feet up because apparently you are capable of solving world hunger and curing cancer because those are problems and they can be solved.[/quote]

*an *than

Give a proper argument and we’ll crush it.

stop this im cringing

But you haven’t actually divided by 0 - all you’ve done is write “q/0” and claimed you have. In mathematics everything boils down to the axioms, which are rules that you are assuming to be true, such as a = a (as is equal to itself), and when people say “you can’t divide by 0”, they really mean “under the system of mathematics that we typically use, division by 0 is an undefined operation”. You can define a value all you like, but you are going to violate an axiom. Here’s a not exactly rigorous proof of that:

Division is defined as: if ac = b, a = b/c.

Now assume we can divide by 0 - which really means, we can divide any real number by 0 (a real number is either an integer or a number with a decimal point, like 0 or 2 or 0.9 or π).

This means that for every possible real number (here we’ll call any individual value b), there exists a real number a such that a = b/0.

From this follows that:

a * 0 = b

Which leads to:

0 = b

So according to this, the only real number is 0. Which is obviously false, so our initial assumption was wrong, and therefore we cannot divide by 0.

paste into url bar

javascript:alert(1/0);

#rekt i won the debate

i can kind of see what youre trying to get at but the problem is it looks like youre trying to connect two things that dont go together
for example the cant destroy or create anything, i dont think that really works.

but the fact that things are not simply created from nothing or destroyed into nothing.
but the thing is youre not destroying or creating anything, because 0 is the absence of something, thats the hole in this

not sure how to explain it exactly, but the thing is about math is that a lot of it is theoretical, and it just doesn’t occur in nature. Like the lowest temperature possible being -273 celsius? Thats probably never been reached anywhere, it just doesnt happen, but thats irrelevant. 0 itself doesn’t really occur in nature afaik, no matter how big or small, whatever it is, its still there, if that even makes any sense.

q/0 = The existence of whatever q represents. Because its not like you can throw a bottle of water out your window and it will poof out of existence because nobody possesses it anymore.
Well yeah the water bottle doesnt disappear, but the thing is you said
My understanding of division is that it is a quantity separated evenly and assigned to groups 10 pizza's(Quantity)/2 Dorm's(Party) = 5 each.
here you have an actual amount to divide by, unlike in the final solution where again, youre splitting it between nothing, divide it by 0 and ??? where does it go?

PS nice meme

if i have 1 pizza and divide it 0 times im happy as fuk cause i didnt have to share my pizza

tbh the mods have proven to me that what was left of this community is a joke, could’ve at least moved it to the spam section. but nope

Better share or ur gonna be fat. With me. Duh

the only reason this forum is still up is because its a giant archive of emulation knowledge. Runescape is hardly in its prime anymore so this forum isn’t either

Think you meant 0 kelvin.

[quote=“Paavo123, post:31, topic:554441”][quote author=drubrkletern link=topic=673365.msg4502777#msg4502777 date=1453191784]
Like the lowest temperature possible being -273 kelvin?
[/quote]

Think you meant 0 kelvin.[/quote]i meant to put celsius, but i guess i decided to type kelvin instead

u can divide the fucks i give by 0

i love you guys

This is not an example of division, this is subtraction. And anything divided by 0 does not equal 0, it has no value, so the water bottle would simply hit the ground out of your window.

I didn’t read much else, but no you can’t divide by 0. It complicates our current understanding of maths too much, and kind of breaks some things (as majorr pointed out).

If I divide 10 by 5, i get 2. 2 times 5 would then be 10, simple.

This is saying that
x / y = z
And
z * y = x

If I multiply 10 by 0, I get 0. Now, what do I put over 0 to give me back 10? Nothing, because every number that is x would also result in z being zero (if y was 0), and that causes a bunch of problems.

If I explained something wrong, it’s because I’m a pleb.

Edit:

You’re right that 0 isn’t “nothing”. However, 0 is the concept of the nothing.

Yes, just because you don’t own something doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. However, saying you have q * 0 is saying that you have q groups of 0 items, meaning you have 0 items.

Math isn’t always physical. It can be used to represent physical things, and often is, but math itself is purely conceptual.

Yeah, the issue with the argument is that you are assuming that the object is physical and that it exists.

When you say:
5 * 0

It doesn’t mean you have five physical objects and you are then going to change those physical objects based on the math. With your logic any part of math to deal with infinity, limits, etc, wouldn’t work. It’s incorrect and an uneducated argument, this isn’t even a debate.

First off 0 is not nothing the argument is as 1 followed by nothing is 1 and 1 followed by 0 is 10.

What does “followed by” mean? If you just mean “tacked on to the end” then I’d say that 1 followed by nothing would be 1nothing and not 1 :S

Infinity is a broken concept.

It’s not broken, it’s just that people don’t know what it is.

[quote=“Bowser jr, post:39, topic:554441”]It’s not broken, it’s just that people don’t know that it is.[/quote]It would take forever to figure out what infinity is.