Building a Computer

Hey MiTB,

I’m building a custom gaming computer, I’ve got a good website to buy from it’s really cheap and they ship to my area.

Can you please answer these questions.

What parts are needed to build a fully functioning (I mean actual things inside of the computer, not keybaords, screens, speakers, mice, etc).

I know you need a Motherboard, Ram, Hard Drive, Graphics Card, Power-Supply, Processor, DVD Drive, what else is needed. Once I know this I can look for my parts I’m going to buy.

Note: Don’t say, if you don’t know what parts don’t build a computer because i’m buying all the parts and taking it to a computer shop for them to assemble it.

Thanks,

Skyro. :slight_smile:

wont get far without a processor or power-supply, a DVD drive would be useful too
dont take it to a computer shop you can put it together yourself it’s simple things will only really go in one way also there are many guides

Thanks, added to the main post. What else is needed?

Not to criticize or anything, but if you don’t even know what parts you need, how are you going to decide what parts you will buy? If you want advice from people here that know a thing or two about gaming rigs, why don’t you just state a budget and let them name a list of parts you’ll need. Deciding what graphics card, and what CPU to buy is a lot harder than figuring out what parts are needed to make a computer work.

I was going to do that but I wanted to know and look at all parts I need so I can get a base price, then post my spending price as I don’t have a budget yet.

Sounds like a good idea. You’ll always learn from it, and it’s obviously more satisfying than buying a ready-built pc from a shop. But be sure to check back here when you are going to decide what to buy.

AFAIK, the things you have listed now are what you need. You’ll also need a case, but that’s obvious.

[quote=“R.I.P RSC, post:6, topic:451565”]Sounds like a good idea. You’ll always learn from it, and it’s obviously more satisfying than buying a ready-built pc from a shop. But be sure to check back here when you are going to decide what to buy.

AFAIK, the things you have listed now are what you need. You’ll also need a case, but that’s obvious.[/quote]
Thanks & I knew that. :slight_smile:

What is better, AMD or Intel i7?

Intel. Both i5 and i7.

What are the best of each of there;

[font=verdana][size=13px]Motherboard, Ram, Hard Drive, Graphics Card, Power-Supply, Processor, DVD Drive.[/size][/font]

[font=verdana][size=13px]Also, what else do I need to have sound working, aswell? I want the whole computer to work. What parts am I missing?[/size][/font]

[quote=“Skyro, post:9, topic:451565”]What are the best of each of there;

[font=verdana][size=13px]Motherboard, Ram, Hard Drive, Graphics Card, Power-Supply, Processor, DVD Drive.[/size][/font]

[font=verdana][size=13px]Also, what else do I need to have sound working, aswell? I want the whole computer to work. What parts am I missing?[/size][/font][/quote]
Almost all motherboards tend to have integrated sound, either 5.1 or 7.1, so you needn’t worry about that.

And what is your budget? We could give you the best in each of those components but it could come to over £3000 and yet it wouldn’t be much faster than a build at £1500. And be realistic…

I’m looking to pay around $1,700, $1,900.

This’ll play any game in the world at max settings with no problem, came to $1624 on newegg.com (minus monitor(s), keyboard, mice, and dvd drive)

[quote=“SilentCJ, post:12, topic:451565”]This’ll play any game in the world at max settings with no problem, came to $1624 on newegg.com (minus monitor(s), keyboard, mice, and dvd drive)

[/quote]

Don’t really like the 5900RPM HDD. Also, he might look into RAM speed (1866Mhz instead of 1333 or 1600).

there’d be no noticeable difference between a 5900 and 7200rpm harddrive nor 1866mhz over 1333/1600

[quote=“Niall, post:14, topic:451565”][quote author=Hash1 link=topic=554448.msg4155861#msg4155861 date=1352679157]
Don’t really like the 5900RPM HDD. Also, he might look into RAM speed (1866Mhz instead of 1333 or 1600).
[/quote]

there’d be no noticeable difference between a 5900 and 7200rpm harddrive nor 1866mhz over 1333/1600[/quote]
Exactly, especially when I only included that drive in there for mass storage, as opposed to storing the OS, that’s what the SSD was there for.

[quote=“Teh Spede, post:15, topic:451565”]http://i.imgur.com/nZn4k.jpg[/quote]I’m sure this is super useful, but the text is wayyyyy too small.

Edit:
The Falcon uploaded this image to