College Courses

I am a senior in HS about to go to college. I would like to end up being a web developer, preferably front end or full stack. I was wondering on how these courses look, should I be studying these classes for my particular career choice, and I do plan to do this and achieve my bachelors in CS.

Instead of typing all of the courses, their descriptions, etc. (because I’m on an iPhone)

http://catalog.indstate.edu/preview_program.php?catoid=24&poid=4152&returnto=619

For Smart Phones- I have a bit of a maze for each of you that will take time to look for me.

You’ll start off by going to this link: m.catalog.indstate.edu/#home

And then go to the undergrad section, then programs, and go into the Computer Science Major section.

On the part where it says “pick a concentration” I’d go with the information science concentration considering it is going more towards web programming.

Thanks to those that choose to look them over!

I don’t know what your question is but if you’re looking for electives geared toward web development it would seem CS 170, 479, and 457 are “ideal”. Although the course descriptions don’t sound very good because: you’ll probably never use VBScript (seriously, in web dev literally never), I don’t know why you get taught Perl/CGI, and you’ll most likely never use ASP (or maybe even JSP but I’m not sure how much it’s used these days).

You’ll get more out of learning modern web frameworks than taking those courses.

I had to use jsp at my uni anyway

If you could also,

There’s another college I was looking at, although it’s a two year college.
http://catalog.vinu.edu/content.php?catoid=25&navoid=2051

At the bottom there are three web development related courses offered there.
Would I be better off going to that uni?

[quote=“Adobe, post:4, topic:555162”]If you could also,

There’s another college I was looking at, although it’s a two year college.
http://catalog.vinu.edu/content.php?catoid=25&navoid=2051

At the bottom there are three web development related courses offered there.
Would I be better off going to that uni?[/quote]

They don’t seem to differ by much at first glance.

The three subjects offered by the two year college don’t differ much? I agree, but that is because it is a two year college. There won’t be as much to learn.

I’m just wondering if it would be better to go to the two year school and learn the information that they offer or the four year school for what they have. I seem to believe the two year school has more information going straight towards what I want to do after college, web development. More feedback would be appreciated

if you’re going to college for cs then you should get a BS or at least plan to transfer to get one and make sure the courses you take are transferable

jsp is almost exclusive to enterprise. Huge corporations use it for their inter/intranets

Having done these types of modules before they’re a complete waste of time and just teach you ancient/weird ways of building websites. Easy credits tho!

And ultimately nobody is going to care about what modules you did at university as long as it’s clear you’re a good web developer.

yeah I wouldn’t take them with the expectation of gaining relevant knowledge

unless you’re working somewhere with php and xamp in 2016

This is a bit of an “Update” to this topic.

I have completed my High School Finals and will graduate on the 28th of this month.

I start College at Indiana State (the college with these classes: http://catalog.indstate.edu/preview_program.php?catoid=24&poid=4152&returnto=619 ) In August this year.

I would like to know from each of you that have gone and done this, of any tips or advice I could use. Or for instance, what you recommend I learn before I go into this if I haven’t already. Thanks!

I recommend you learn good study habits if you don’t have them already. Trust me, it’s good to have.

As I have heard, which is why I am enrolled for a three week course over the summer before school starts to enhance and develop good study habits.