E-book reader?

I’m looking for an e-book reader for my wife, she just wants to read books on it, nothing else so we don’t want a full tablet or anything. I have a lot of non-drm .epub files, so I also want to be able to use those without re-purchasing them on some other stupid market.

It would be a huge plus if it ran some version of Linux that I can customize (they just about all run Linux, not many provide software and support), ideally all the software on it would be open source, though I know that’s a bit of a pipe dream.

Besides that, I know next to nothing about e-book readers, can anyone lend a helping hand?

for $100-200 more you can get an iPad and jailbreak it. Jailbroken iPod/Phone/Pads use aptitude as the package manager, allow installation of gnu tools, sshd and other nice trinkets… are you not interested because of the price of a ‘full blown tablet’?

Brand new from apple:
iPad with Wi-Fi 16GB - Black (3rd generation)
$499.00

edit:
first gen iPad runs around $200…

An alternative:
$265 Spark Linux-based tablet
http://liliputing.com/2012/02/265-spark-linux-based-tablet-shipping-in-may-pre-order-in-feb.html

Either way, it’s still going to cost you $300-500 or so - personally, I’d go with the iPad due to support, potential of jailbreak (which has massive repositories and uses aptitude) and excellent display.

(I did a quick google search to find out about epub support for each of these tablets)

I personally have and enjoy a Kindle. It doesn’t have to be those new fancy Kindle Fires, maybe just one of the originals. I think you can transfer your epub files using a program like this, you just have to look.
There’s also the Nook from B&N (read up on how to transfer epub files here)

The original Kindle is only $79. All it can do is read (it does have a web browser, but that’s shitty at best). The screen isn’t backlit. I’d recommend that.

I own a Sony PRS-650, and it’s the only e-reader I ever handled so I can’t really give you more than my experiences with this e-reader. For what it is, it’s great. E-paper reads great without getting sore eyes, and there isn’t any reflection so you can read in the sun aswell. The screen is smaller than the average book, but e-pub files adjust to the screen size, so there’s no problem there either.

Recently I put some pdf files on it. PDF files are a bit tricky, because they aren’t that adjustable as e-pub files are. Luckily, you can put it on landscape mode. This way, the page is cut in half and you are able to read everything without having to stare.

The PRS-650 is outdated already, but I guess the newer Sony e-readers are good too. You can’t customize them, but I don’t see a reason why you would want to do that.

@t4, I don’t want a tablet because they aren’t the best at just reading books, which is all it will be used for.

@mlp311, so which one of the kindles would you recommend? It looks like they make a LOT of different kinds of them, even with just the standard e-ink screen.

@RSC, that doesn’t sound bad, how do you transfer e-pub’s to it?

Also, I’m curious if they make readers without an LCD screen that are also backlit?

Have you looked at the new nook with “GlowLight”? http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/nook-simple-touch-with-glowlight-barnes-noble/1108046469?ean=9781400501717

Or for a little bit more you could get the Nexus 7 and enjoy all forms of entertainment, Google just started selling magazines as well.

maybe i don’t know anything about ebook readers, but wouldn’t a tablet be just as good provided it has software and a decent display? … or am i missing something?

I just wanted something small to carry around in my purse so I could read in my spare time. Plus, I hate using a book light when I read at night.

nook simpletouch with glowlight all the way

i own a nook 2e/simpletouch without glowlight - it runs android 2.1, which i’ve rooted and can therefore sideload any book i desire/use any android ebook reader plus other things (but you’ve already said you don’t want that)

it fits in your hand well, looks nice, light weight, tons of cases for it, great battery life, easy to read eink screen, glowlight allows you to read at night without disturbing others (in bed with mopar and he’s asleep? from the reviews i’ve read it’s low enough to not disturb him yet bright enough to allow you to read comfortably)

if you pair it with calibre it’s a hell of a machine/book replacement, i currently have a 32gb microsd card in mine with 4,445 books on it… my goal is to read them all before i die :stuck_out_tongue:

The LCD screen definitely isn’t the same as e-ink.

Yea go with the new nook that has a back light… Supports ePub, PDF, and the popular image formats

I use Calibre (http://calibre-ebook.com/). You just import the books you want, and click ‘Send to device’. It can also download RSS feeds, and turn it into a newspaper like file.

There are small led travel lights available, which you can clip on paper books. You probably can clip it on an e-reader aswell. They won’t cost you more than $10.

I use a Kobo.

These are the only e-readers I’ve ever handled though. They are really good, and they’re only just for reading books.

Specifications:
Has WiFi so you can download a book somewhere with an internet connection straight to the reader, rather than connecting it to your computer.
Weighs 185g
1GB memory
6" E Ink display
Holds up to 2 weeks of charge at a time.
Supports EPUB and PDF files.

It’s also relatively cheap, I paid £80 for mines brand new, which I think is something in the area of $150.

He bought me the new Sony reader. I love it! It came with a little attached light so I can read at night.

Good choice, I was going to say either that or the Kindle (I have a Kindle 3) - no need for a full tablet just for book reading, the ebook readers are light and the battery lasts forevvvvveerrr.

if you are talking really small, I’ve seen this 3.5inch android tablet here in china for ~180rmb runs android 2.2 2gb storage 256mb ram.

So this Sony e-book reader mentions Android nowhere, but so obviously runs a sonyized version of Android. Where can I find the source code for this? Bastards.

Assuming you have the PRS-T1 (I guess you have, as far as I can see it’s currently the only model sold by Sony), you can turn it into an ‘Android smartphone without phoning capabilities’.

Use Google Translate on this page, if that won’t work I’ll be happy to translate it for you http://www.ereaders.nl/het_kraken_van_de_prs-t1

http://www.sony.net/Products/Linux/common/search.html