Galaxy S2 or iPhone 4

So… I have an iPhone 4 and a Galaxy S2. What one do you guys prefer? I’m aware of the fact that the Galaxy S2 outstats the iPhone 4, but I am after your personal opinions.

I like the Galaxy S2, Just because of the way the Android OS is built

Any advantages to it though? I have no idea about the Android OS, I’ve only ever used Apple.

The S2 has a better CPU than the iPhone 4 but the GPU is quite a lot better on the iPhone.

This essentially comes down to your preference between iOS and Android. I prefer the app ecosystem on iOS, and probably wouldn’t buy an Android phone that wasn’t properly supported by Google themselves (ie only the Nexus line at the moment) with the latest OS.

I quite like ICS (4.0), the interface improvements are rather nice. The integration with Google’s services is as good as always, obviously, but the application ecosystem isn’t as well curated or developed as iOS. Given the much larger amount of money earned on the iOS app store, Android seems to get stuff second most of the time.

A year or two ago it was a definite vote for iOS from me, but as the core experience on iOS has stagnated a little (lets hope Apple’s conference on monday makes a decent change) whilst Android has improved quite a bit (albeit from further behind, imo, so there was more to improve on).

But, if I were picking between those two phones. I’d go with the iPhone 4. Like I have said, I don’t think I’d want to buy a non-nexus Android phone.

If you want advantages for each (from my perspective):

Android:

• It is much more ‘open’ (At least as much as the networks allow). There aren’t as many restrictions on third party applications and customisation of the OS without needing to go too deep.
  • Much more hardware variation. Anyone can make an Android phone without any license fees (other than patent fees paid to Microsoft), so more competition and variation in the hardware available for Android.
  • Cheaper development. No OSX machine required, cheaper marketplace registration.

iOS:

• ‘Controlled’ cohesive and consistent due to the restrictions and curation. Apple try to keep the quality high and place restrictions on developers to avoid ‘bad’ experiences. They can go too far and don’t always make sense, but overall, I think it is an advantage from a user perspective (to a point, it needs updating soon).
  • Integrated ecosystem, Apple aren’t interested in providing services to everyone like Google are, but the services they do provide for their own platforms are smooth, quick and usually just as free (provided you have at least one of their products to use them).
  • Good support. Apple will provide update support for a good few years for your phone, you will get them on the same day as everyone else (whereas Android update support is pretty poor), same with hardware support, most issues they will just swap the phone out there and then in the store for no extra cost if you are in warranty within 10 minutes or so.

I could always sell both of them and get the Nexus. But yeah I get what you mean by the iOS’ software compared to Android.

Also, what’s the best current smart phone. I need a new one.

probably the new galaxy S III

The Galaxy Nexus (Pentile screen (bleh) but stock ICS (yay!)) or HTC One X (great screen, ICS with Sense (bleh), nice hardware).

Or obviously the iPhone 4S if you prefer iOS.

Any android phone over any apple product.

personally, from a hardware perspective, i prefer the s2
i recently got my hands on one for myself, although i’ve repaired and played around with many
i like the samoled+ screen much better than the iphones retina display - and the screen size doesn’t hurt, either
although i do agree that you (generally) will get a smoother, cleaner, more polished experience on iOS vs android, the ability to easily customize and repair an android phone makes me quite biased towards that (free repair on android phones through my networks insurance, vs. not having anything beyond applecare for an iphone? no contest)… plus i’ve had some strange iphone issues to troubleshoot that would’ve been easy fixes on android, and the washers were a bitch the last time i repaired one :stuck_out_tongue:
in addition, i’ve found that i can do everything i need to on a phone with android, and using the s2 is dreamy… so fast, smooth, clear… i’m excited for the s3, but i think this will definitely be more than enough to tide me over till LTE is rolled out in my area

SO I’m going to go with the Google Nexus. What’s the most recent one/better version?

Is the Galaxy SIII not available where you are? If so it would be the better option really.

It is, but it seems so much more expensive lul

I love the Iphone because I like it lol. I love listening to music in the car on youtube and playing a bunch of fun games. :3

shiiiiiit, the Nexus has gone down loads just checked on amazon. Or were you planning on contract?

apple has never let me down, ever.

If you are patient, wait for November. Google are releasing 5 Nexus phones.

[quote=“SilentCJ, post:14, topic:444549”][quote author=Yz85Racer link=topic=547234.msg4018226#msg4018226 date=1339804870]
It is, but it seems so much more expensive lul
[/quote]
shiiiiiit, the Nexus has gone down loads just checked on amazon. Or were you planning on contract?[/quote]
Exactly why I wanted to get one.

Do not buy quad-core, that is all.

Any particular reason why?

The battery gets drained faster.