Mojang sold to MS for 2.3B

So what do you guys think about this? Notch sold the Minecraft franchise entirely to Microsoft for 2.3Billion.

Personally I feel he let me down a bit out of anybody he could have sold to. Microsoft will and always will be a bad company for this. Through history with any other games they own it was a Windows/Xbox exclusive. I’m wondering how Microsoft will handle this since its already released on iOS, Android, Mac, Linux, and PC.

Been discussing it with a cousin of myn and he feels MS will try to add in DLC content instead of making this all free updates for the life of the game.

I wasn’t too surprised at this, notch has been shying away from the game for a long time now. I’m not too worried tho, Microsoft did pretty well with acquiring Bungie.

Microsoft didn’t buy it for the game, they bought it for the brand and all of the licensing opportunities it provides. They won’t do anything crazy (like DLC) with the current game, they would be stupid to ruin it.

You can be sure that Windows Phone will be getting MCPE, Realms will be getting a much needed helping hand from the Azure platform, and hopefully we will see feature parity between the console versions and the PC.

[quote=“HcoJustin, post:3, topic:546869”]Microsoft didn’t buy it for the game, they bought it for the brand and all of the licensing opportunities it provides. They won’t do anything crazy (like DLC) with the current game, they would be stupid to ruin it.

You can be sure that Windows Phone will be getting MCPE, Realms will be getting a much needed helping hand from the Azure platform, and hopefully we will see feature parity between the console versions and the PC.[/quote]
Honestly the entire issue the console versions have with getting some of the PC things are the save size limit. IIRC the Xbox 360 has a 10MB save limit, and the Xbox One have 20MB, I’m not sure about the restraints on the PS3 and PS4. So map size is an issue there. Otherwise, horses, rabbits. Things like this I don’t see why they never did get added.

[quote=“CoonHunter, post:4, topic:546869”][quote author=HcoJustin link=topic=665767.msg4450820#msg4450820 date=1411197854]
Microsoft didn’t buy it for the game, they bought it for the brand and all of the licensing opportunities it provides. They won’t do anything crazy (like DLC) with the current game, they would be stupid to ruin it.

You can be sure that Windows Phone will be getting MCPE, Realms will be getting a much needed helping hand from the Azure platform, and hopefully we will see feature parity between the console versions and the PC.
[/quote]
Honestly the entire issue the console versions have with getting some of the PC things are the save size limit. IIRC the Xbox 360 has a 10MB save limit, and the Xbox One have 20MB, I’m not sure about the restraints on the PS3 and PS4. So map size is an issue there. Otherwise, horses, rabbits. Things like this I don’t see why they never did get added.[/quote]
The One and PS4 support world sizes somewhere around 30 times larger than the 360 and PS3. While not infinite, the next gen is still substantially larger. We are still missing out on a lot of things though.

The Halloween update (1.4) that added the Wither and beacons, the redstone update (1.5) that added hoppers and comparators, horses (1.6), the new fishing and world gen (1.7), and the new enchanting system in 1.8

Honestly I have been gone for way to long and have not even begun to catch batch up with all of the new gadgets and objects. I’m having to re-learn so much about minecraft because so much has changed. Just got a Acer C720 chromebook I have been playing on.

I have a feeling Microsoft will be very smart about this, they’ve already stated they wont be doing anything to effect the YouTube community. I think they’d be stupid to do anything drastic to Minecraft.

Hopefully they can make some clarity on the whole EULA problem though.

We’re lucky Microsoft bought it, not EA.

[quote=“zuppers, post:2, topic:546869”]I wasn’t too surprised at this, notch has been shying away from the game for a long time now. I’m not too worried tho, Microsoft did pretty well with acquiring Bungie.[/quote]Microsoft doesn’t own Bungie yo, they were the developers that made halo, but were contracted by Microsoft. They owned the Halo name and everything with it, which is why 343 is around now… and they suck.

[quote=“RiiPiiNFtW, post:10, topic:546869”][quote author=zuppers link=topic=665767.msg4450818#msg4450818 date=1411196963]
I wasn’t too surprised at this, notch has been shying away from the game for a long time now. I’m not too worried tho, Microsoft did pretty well with acquiring Bungie.
[/quote]Microsoft doesn’t own Bungie yo, they were the developers that made halo, but were contracted by Microsoft. They owned the Halo name and everything with it, which is why 343 is around now… and they suck.[/quote]

Microsoft acquired Bungie in 2000; the project it was working on was repurposed into a launch title for Microsoft’s Xbox console, called Halo: Combat Evolved. Halo became the Xbox’s “killer application”, selling millions of copies and spawning a billion dollar franchise. On October 5, 2007, Bungie announced that it had split from Microsoft and become a privately held independent company, Bungie LLC (Microsoft retained ownership of the Halo franchise IP).

Anyway I didn’t say Microsoft owns Bungie.

I'm not too worried tho, Microsoft did pretty well with [b]acquiring[/b] Bungie.

Which they did.

I haven’t been keeping up with MC. How has it been in terms of updates since they took over?

Well not as much, but seeing MS’s influience and coding capability and above all manpower, in comparison to Mojang.
And knowing they are not likely to screw it up, because, well people will just start to mod the shit out of 1.8, and release un-official patches.
So as far as i’m concerned, i’m looking forward to it.

Amen to that…