Mopar Weekly (#6)

I know a website where StarBlaster is still active and has answered a PM I sent to him in the past. How cool would it be to get him to answer some interview questions, or Ikilikki for that matter.

Anyways this was an awesome read, Taharok is definitely one of the most ‘storied’ members on the site. He’s pretty much seen it all :slight_smile:

[quote=“Newty, post:21, topic:552362”]I know a website where StarBlaster is still active and has answered a PM I sent to him in the past. How cool would it be to get him to answer some interview questions, or Ikilikki for that matter.

Anyways this was an awesome read, Taharok is definitely one of the most ‘storied’ members on the site. He’s pretty much seen it all :)[/quote]I would like to do both, if you could arrange starblaster that would be interesting.

[quote=“Pure_, post:22, topic:552362”][quote author=Newty link=topic=671281.msg4489192#msg4489192 date=1436368761]
I know a website where StarBlaster is still active and has answered a PM I sent to him in the past. How cool would it be to get him to answer some interview questions, or Ikilikki for that matter.

Anyways this was an awesome read, Taharok is definitely one of the most ‘storied’ members on the site. He’s pretty much seen it all :slight_smile:
[/quote]I would like to do both, if you could arrange starblaster that would be interesting.[/quote]

I just realized that the message I sent him was 4 years ago. What. The. Fuck. Time flies… Here’s what he said to me:

Hey buddy,

How’s it going? Nice to hear from an old school cheater :slight_smile:

There were a few reasons I decided to leave, but without going into all the drama (lets face it, interent drama is pretty childish, right?), there were two main reason:
I simply bacame too busy - Around the time I decided to leave, I had started Uni, was enjoying myself quite a lot, and picked up a lot of new responsibilities. Although I checked in once in a while, I just became out of touch with the whole scene over time.
Cheating on RuneScape became very Java based; All of the java bots started to boom, and even SCAR bought in Java to help combat the new cheat detection systems. I was simply not interested in Java at all.

That’s pretty much it! I’ve now got a great job as a Web Developer, and have little time for anything else. I barely have any time to browse this forum now, let alone help manage about 5 all at once!

I’m pretty sure no one really minded me leaving anyways.

Good to hear from you, and nice to know you used my scripts. I really enjoyed making them back in the day :slight_smile:

Star

And as for the reason he’s never came back:

I actually changed all of my passwords on all the forums I was on so as to stop myself from being tempted back onto any sites. I'm not really sure me posting an update is of too much interest to anyone anyway even if I did post one, and I'm sure the cheating scene has advanced tenfold since I decided to concentrate on other things!

It’d be nice to read the replies though, so if you could post a few here, that’d be awesome (If there are any)

Thanks

I could try sending him a message but his last activity on that site was November of 2014.

[quote=“sini, post:10, topic:552362”][quote author=t4 link=topic=671281.msg4489116#msg4489116 date=1436310995]

Put it on a resume and I’ll laugh
[/quote]

Why would you? The skills could spur your own project though.[/quote]
violating copyright law over emulating a kids game coupled with the amount of bullshit code in the scene doesn’t make your case as an impressive candidate. a private (or in a repo w/o a community) bot on the other hand is a different story :wink:

I somewhat disagree. Even the worst server we see (assuming they’re not just copy pasted obviously) is more ‘proper’ development than the majority of graduates have seen in their lives. You have to bear in mind whoever is hiring you doesn’t know our community, and in the current climate when code samples are everything, a scalable real-time networked game server is an impressive resume item… I wouldn’t leave it off.

Nobody really cares about the copyright issue. I had an interview where bots were discussed once and they didn’t even bring up legality - and this was for a company in the gaming space (although not a game company) so they were very aware of the legal issues. Companies care about legal problems when they reflect on you as a person (so, they don’t like black hats for example) but I don’t really foresee any problems with botting/private server stuff, especially if you’re not running a big money making operation like Soulsplit or something.

That’s more what I was hinting at with the copyright stuff

i still remember taharok banning me on rs2cc for spamming 9 years ago :wink:

ps tom do u like my ip I’m in south america !!

Surprised at how many Mopar Weeklys I have been listed on :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“Newty, post:23, topic:552362”][quote author=Pure_ link=topic=671281.msg4489196#msg4489196 date=1436370386]

I just realized that the message I sent him was 4 years ago. What. The. fudge. Time flies… Here’s what he said to me:

[quote]Hey buddy,

How’s it going? Nice to hear from an old school cheater :slight_smile:

There were a few reasons I decided to leave, but without going into all the drama (lets face it, interent drama is pretty childish, right?), there were two main reason:
I simply bacame too busy - Around the time I decided to leave, I had started Uni, was enjoying myself quite a lot, and picked up a lot of new responsibilities. Although I checked in once in a while, I just became out of touch with the whole scene over time.
Cheating on RuneScape became very Java based; All of the java bots started to boom, and even SCAR bought in Java to help combat the new cheat detection systems. I was simply not interested in Java at all.

That’s pretty much it! I’ve now got a great job as a Web Developer, and have little time for anything else. I barely have any time to browse this forum now, let alone help manage about 5 all at once!

I’m pretty sure no one really minded me leaving anyways.

Good to hear from you, and nice to know you used my scripts. I really enjoyed making them back in the day :slight_smile:

Star[/quote]

And as for the reason he’s never came back:

[quote]I actually changed all of my passwords on all the forums I was on so as to stop myself from being tempted back onto any sites. I’m not really sure me posting an update is of too much interest to anyone anyway even if I did post one, and I’m sure the cheating scene has advanced tenfold since I decided to concentrate on other things!

It’d be nice to read the replies though, so if you could post a few here, that’d be awesome (If there are any)

Thanks[/quote]

I could try sending him a message but his last activity on that site was November of 2014.[/quote]

Yes. I haven’t talked to him since like 2007. It’d be cool to touch base again; no real reason to stay away from these sites anyway. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“t4, post:9, topic:552362”][quote author=sini link=topic=671281.msg4489111#msg4489111 date=1436309971]
I disagree Taharok, RSPS programming is interesting and useful but you have to take it to that level.
[/quote]
Put it on a resume and I’ll laugh[/quote]
Funnily enough I actually mentioned RSPS in an interview when I was asked about my Java experience. Literally the only experience I have. If you know how to bullshit, you can make it sound impressive (resume maybe tougher). In any case, I got the job.

[quote=“iKilem, post:30, topic:552362”][quote author=t4 link=topic=671281.msg4489116#msg4489116 date=1436310995]

[/quote]
Funnily enough I actually mentioned RSPS in an interview when I was asked about my Java experience. Literally the only experience I have. If you know how to bullshit, you can make it sound impressive (resume maybe tougher). In any case, I got the job.[/quote]I think it can be very impressive depending on what you have done with it (obviously changing server name doesn’t count in this band of people).

[quote=“iKilem, post:30, topic:552362”][quote author=t4 link=topic=671281.msg4489116#msg4489116 date=1436310995]

[/quote]
Funnily enough I actually mentioned RSPS in an interview when I was asked about my Java experience. Literally the only experience I have. If you know how to bullshit, you can make it sound impressive (resume maybe tougher). In any case, I got the job.[/quote]
I’ve gotten a few side gigs (nothing professional or contracted, just NOT rsps stuff) because of my work with RSPS.
It wasn’t like “look at the work I did to this server”. It was more like “Yeah I’ve got a few years experience working on some private servers”.
Bullshitting your experience to make it sound better than it is (But not unbelievable) is really the best way to get hired for any profession though.

This was an interesting read, good job. :slight_smile:

[/quote]
Funnily enough I actually mentioned RSPS in an interview when I was asked about my Java experience. Literally the only experience I have. If you know how to bullshit, you can make it sound impressive (resume maybe tougher). In any case, I got the job.[/quote]Yea, I don’t really get the snide comment from t4 here. You don’t always have to be exactly specific on a resume, nothing wrong with listing rsps development as programming experience. If you have/had a successful server you can even list that as community management experience and if they ask for details you just be pretty vague about how you managed a game community and what that entails. I wouldn’t even consider it bullshitting, it’s still a learning experience you are just spinning the words to be more resume appropriate. Obviously if you try to make it sound a lot more grand than what you actually know and have experience doing you might run into issues, but otherwise I don’t see the problem.

[quote=“Davidi2, post:34, topic:552362”][quote author=iKilem link=topic=671281.msg4489425#msg4489425 date=1436570809]

Funnily enough I actually mentioned RSPS in an interview when I was asked about my Java experience. Literally the only experience I have. If you know how to bullshit, you can make it sound impressive (resume maybe tougher). In any case, I got the job.
[/quote]Yea, I don’t really get the snide comment from t4 here. You don’t always have to be exactly specific on a resume, nothing wrong with listing rsps development as programming experience. If you have/had a successful server you can even list that as community management experience and if they ask for details you just be pretty vague about how you managed a game community and what that entails. I wouldn’t even consider it bullshitting, it’s still a learning experience you are just spinning the words to be more resume appropriate. Obviously if you try to make it sound a lot more grand than what you actually know and have experience doing you might run into issues, but otherwise I don’t see the problem.[/quote]
I don’t know, unless you’re a university freshman looking for a summer internship with nothing else to show it’s pretty silly. At the end of a day the core of an RSPS is some pretty basic design patterns and (a)sychronous I/O. You could get fancy and embed a language, but most of that suff is done for you by high level features including the networking (yeah, yeah you need to expose the backend to the script but whatever). The real bulk of the time comes implementing all of the gameplay features it took Jagex years to roll out. I still find reverse engineering the client infinitely more impressive since you’re given a black box and have to bend it to your needs and learn about its internal state.

It’s about how far you take it/what skills you learn from it.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrr