Networking anomaly

My ISP has recently stopped my service, and I’m no longer able to access the internet via devices including my computer and Xbox One; however, there is an exception. The ONLY way I can gain access to the internet is by using Tor.

I was wondering if anyone had any theory to why TorBrowser is the only way I access the internet. A further example would be using Google Chrome; every time I attempt to access the internet I am greeted with a default page designed by my ISP, which basically says that my service has been interrupted. Any ideas?

ALSO, this isn’t directly related to programming in the sense of my question, but I’m hoping that someone can provide me with technical reasoning of how this is happening.

Better not be using Tor for cheeky things ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I’d guess they’re intercepting http traffic to give you the “banned” message but haven’t bothered blocking all the other ports and protocols. So that’s not really a block at all lol

Yep seems like a retarded half ass block from your ISP

Also why do you have Tor, huh??? Sneaky sneaky

Are you still paying your ISP if they stopped the service? If you’re not and Tor works, just enjoy free internet.

just tether your smartphone if you have mobile data and use that for the laptop and xbox.

Wouldn’t that apply for Tor too though?

I’ll read up on this, but seeing as how I don’t have unlimited data that doesn’t seem too reasonable. Or maybe I just don’t understand how it works.

[quote=“Tutorial, post:7, topic:555182”][quote author=Justin Bieber link=topic=674109.msg4506997#msg4506997 date=1460634093]
I’d guess they’re intercepting http traffic to give you the “banned” message but haven’t bothered blocking all the other ports and protocols. So that’s not really a block at all lol
[/quote]
Wouldn’t that apply for Tor too though?[/quote]
nop because I imagine tor works in a similar way to a vpn - the traffic is sent encrypted over a different port & protocol and is only decrypted at the remote server that actually makes the request (tor is nodes and onions and shit but I imagine it’s the same principle)

[quote=“Tutorial, post:7, topic:555182”][quote author=Justin Bieber link=topic=674109.msg4506997#msg4506997 date=1460634093]
[/quote]

I’ll read up on this, but seeing as how I don’t have unlimited data that doesn’t seem too reasonable. Or maybe I just don’t understand how it works.[/quote]

Tethering is just using your phone as a internet modem instead of your router. Or WiFi hotspot I think it’s called on some phones. Yeah best not to if you don’t have unlimited data but if you wanna try it find tethering on your phone then you just go into WiFi connection on the laptop and find the name of your phone.

[quote=“Justin Bieber, post:8, topic:555182”][quote author=Tutorial link=topic=674109.msg4507018#msg4507018 date=1460667368]

[/quote]
nop because I imagine tor works in a similar way to a vpn - the traffic is sent encrypted over a different port & protocol and is only decrypted at the remote server that actually makes the request (tor is nodes and onions and shit but I imagine it’s the same principle)[/quote]
So in theory I should be able to run a VPN, therefore being able to connect basically any device to that connection.

Try changing your DNS settings to google’s or opendns and see what happens, they could just be hijacking DNS queries.

It did seem to make the connection stronger while using Tor, but there was no luck other than that.