New build, couple of questions

[font=verdana][size=13px]http://www.amazon.co.uk/registry/wishlist/2ZIDZ2W8EHRHJ[/size][/font]

[font=verdana][size=13px]All parts are ordered and on their way:[/size][/font]

• i7 3770k
  • Asus GTX 680 OC
  • Corsair vengeance 16gb RAM (2 x 8gb)
  • Asus sabertooth z77 motherboard
  • Corsair 750w modular psu
  • Sandisk extreme 240gb ssd and WD 2tb
  • Corsair 550d quiet midi case

[font=verdana][size=13px]Comes to just over £1400 iirc.[/size][/font]

[font=verdana][size=13px]1. Is the psu sufficient for the GTX 680?[/size][/font]
[font=verdana][size=13px]2. Would the cooling be fine with stock? Will be playing a few hardcore BF3 sessions.[/size][/font]

Will get pics up within a week give or take, ordering the rest of it 24/09

Why the 3770k and not the 3820?

There is no “stock” cooling with higher end Intel CPUs, all you get is the cpu itself, you have to buy your own block+fans or w/e.

You’ll be able to dual SLI with a 750w psu, possibly even tri.

[quote=“eczema3, post:2, topic:461314”]Why the 3770k and not the 3820?

There is no “stock” cooling with higher end Intel CPUs, all you get is the cpu itself, you have to buy your own block+fans or w/e.

You’ll be able to dual SLI with a 750w psu, possibly even tri.[/quote]
"Miscellaneous:

Included Accessories : Heat sink

Compliant Standards : Lead-Free, halogen-free

Package Type : Intel Boxed
" You lie.

[quote=“eczema3, post:2, topic:461314”]Why the 3770k and not the 3820?

You’ll be able to dual SLI with a 750w psu, possibly even tri.[/quote]
Ah good, cheers. And I believe it does come with a heatsink, however I know the 3820 does not as my friend got it about 6 months ago.
Reasoning for not picking the 3820 would be:

• Not Ivybridge/latest technology
  • Lack of integrated graphics (just in case)
  • Requires quad channel memory, less flexibility in my opinion.
  • Lack of included heatsink and lack of choice of heatsink due to unique socket
  • Motherboard choice is restricted due to the different/uncommon socket

Besides, it’s only 30 quid extra, I think the reasoning above justifies that and the very minor speed gains from the 3820.

The 3820 is a much better cpu than the 3770k :stuck_out_tongue: just sayin’. Ivy bridge only has a dual channel controller, not even triple. And it’s not advisable to just use stock cooling because it’s pretty shitty and your cpu is going to get VERY hot.

The 3820 is designed more around performance, overclocking etc. it’s one of the best CPUs for overclocking on the current market, I’ve got the 3820 with the gigabyte X79-UD5 motherboard however the UD5 is a fair lump more expensive than the motherboard you chose, so I would go for the X79-UD3 which is pretty much an identical motherboard, just with 4 less RAM slots.

Something like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CWCH60-Water-Cooler/dp/B004MYFOE2/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1348403602&sr=1-1 would make a very nice addition to your build, and the money you save going for the 3820 would mean you wouldn’t exactly be spending that much more money.

[quote=“eczema3, post:5, topic:461314”]The 3820 is a much better cpu than the 3770k :stuck_out_tongue: just sayin’. Ivy bridge only has a dual channel controller, not even triple. And it’s not advisable to just use stock cooling because it’s pretty shitty and your cpu is going to get VERY hot.

The 3820 is designed more around performance, overclocking etc. it’s one of the best CPUs for overclocking on the current market, I’ve got the 3820 with the gigabyte X79-UD5 motherboard however the UD5 is a fair lump more expensive than the motherboard you chose, so I would go for the X79-UD3 which is pretty much an identical motherboard, just with 4 less RAM slots.

Something like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CWCH60-Water-Cooler/dp/B004MYFOE2/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1348403602&sr=1-1 would make a very nice addition to your build, and the money you save going for the 3820 would mean you wouldn’t exactly be spending that much more money.[/quote]
Pretty motherboard, I’m loving the ‘armour’ plate on the Asus motherboard though, it’s got really great reviews too :stuck_out_tongue:

Are the performance benefits that huge though? I think I’ll look up some benchmarks and possibly reconsider.

Edit: http://www.anandtech.com/show/5771/the-intel-ivy-bridge-core-i7-3770k-review/6
That’s odd, 3770k beats it in every single category according to that source…

if you’re going to get a heatsink get a coolermaster h212, the stock will do fine but the h212 is better and there’s no other reason to get a better heatsink unless you’re pushing your cpu to the absolute upper limit through overclocking and extreme cpu intensive tasks

ps retail cpus come with a heatsink, oem ones do not, for future reference

[quote=“Niall, post:7, topic:461314”]if you’re going to get a heatsink get a coolermaster h212, the stock will do fine but the h212 is better and there’s no other reason to get a better heatsink unless you’re pushing your cpu to the absolute upper limit through overclocking and extreme cpu intensive tasks

ps retail cpus come with a heatsink, oem ones do not, for future reference[/quote]
Awesome, will probably end up getting an aftermarket heatsink once it all arrives in 2 or 3 days, after all, I did get a silent case, which of course comes at a cost of cooling performance :o

EDIT: all arrived last night, turns out it was a faulty motherboard, sending it back on tuesday, so pissed right now

Maybe women very excited to finally get a their favorite leggings, but now it has a problem for most women , how to reasonable collocation the leggings and other clothing is a very important thing. Improper collocation not only can’t highlights the sexy figure and nor good to health. women who has these things trouble can go to BBS many see related articles.
http://www.ms-leggings.com