Raspberry Pi

So I ordered 10 of these today, not sure if I’ll get them sooner or later but I’m not too worried. The plan is to mount them on a board with a powered USB hub and switch and play with my own little cluster.

Hah cool idea. It’s going to be interesting to see what everyone does with these with them being so cheap.

At work we might be getting a few of these in to play with for our next project.

I just need to find a decent touch screen for use with it.

i also fell in love with this wonderful product

I’ll buy one soon, use it as a media player for my TV downstairs.

I’ve never even heard of them, so they are supposed to be powerful enough to decode and display H264 video @1080p? Also, this looks like good hardware to run a diskless Linux install on, do they come with firmware or an OS already installed? Or are they meant to run Linux?

edit:
Looks like more specs/explanation can be found here:
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/generalDisplay.html?id=raspberrypi&cm_mmc=UK-PPC-0212--02_Raspberry_PI--Raspberry_PI-_-Raspberry_Pi
So it boots Fedora Linux from an SD card right now, if I get one I’d probably boot debian from an NFS share on my server.

Sucks that the ethernet port is only 100BaseT and not 1000BaseT… :frowning:

edit2:
How did you order them? I only see links to ‘register my interest’.

all of my want at the moment

How did you order them? I only see links to 'register my interest'.

I ordered mine from Farnell.

Just got an email anyway, theyre only allowed to sell one per customer so I’m getting one delivered for now and the rest delivered at a later day. Oh well, that’ll give me time to get a preconfigure script setup for auto install of debian.

After much searching I found these links to order them:

from usa:
http://www.newark.com/raspberry-pi/raspbrry-pcba/dp/83T1943?Ntt=RASPBRRY-PCBA

from canada:
http://canada.newark.com/raspberry-pi/raspbrry-pcba/dp/83T1943

@eXemplar, how much did shipping/handling cost you? I’m all the way to the confirm order screen but it says shipping and handling is not included yet and they will let me know via email how much it is. I’m hesitant to give them a green flag to just charge me whatever they want though. One guy on the forum said it was $20, which seems ridiculous.

Anyone know how much it is?

edit:
I went ahead and placed an order, got an email saying the total was $35, 0 shipping and 0 handling, that doesn’t sound right, but I guess we will see. :slight_smile:

It recently cost me £15 to send something to the Republic of Ireland, which is right next to the UK! I wouldn’t be surprised if it cost you more than $20 - that seems pretty cheap for international shipping :confused:

theyre not shipping from the uk, farnell/rs have international distribution

Ah I see.

They are back-ordered like crazy anyway Moparisthebest, dont expect to get your hands on one till April. If they would have made one with two gigabit ports this would have made for the perfect little router!

Still no shipping cost yet, but the expected shipping date is may 15th :frowning:

Also you don’t need 2 gbit ports for a router, 100mbit is far faster than your internet connection I’m sure. You could hook up a usb ethernet card to make this a router though.

It could be nice as a wireless AP for my room, since the wifi signal here doesn’t even reach the attic!

Was going to order a couple but couldnt find the order link from farnells site on their finnish website. They also ran out l0l. Been wanting ones with vortex for a long time.

[quote=“Moparisthebest, post:13, topic:434650”]Still no shipping cost yet, but the expected shipping date is may 15th :frowning:

Also you don’t need 2 gbit ports for a router, 100mbit is far faster than your internet connection I’m sure. You could hook up a usb ethernet card to make this a router though.[/quote]
unless of course you’re moving heavy amounts of data though your local network

[quote=“t4, post:16, topic:434650”][quote author=Moparisthebest link=topic=537367.msg3930231#msg3930231 date=1330614625]
Still no shipping cost yet, but the expected shipping date is may 15th :frowning:

Also you don’t need 2 gbit ports for a router, 100mbit is far faster than your internet connection I’m sure. You could hook up a usb ethernet card to make this a router though.
[/quote]
unless of course you’re moving heavy amounts of data though your local network[/quote]
I guess you could hook up a 1000mbps USB ethernet card, though USB 2.0 would probably be the bottleneck. It also has an I2C expansion port, I wonder what the bandwidth on that thing is.

It doesn’t come with USB 3.0 ports? :frowning:

It’s $35 ?

Meh, I’d pay the extra for the 3.0 ports.