RUST language?

A friend and I were discussing various browsers and how they work. We ran across Servo which is a co-project by Firefox and Samsung. I was wondering if anyone here currently knows Rust and if they can give any basic description of Rust to assist in learning the programming language.

My friend and I plan to start learning immediately for something fun to learn and just wanted to gather further insight from other web developers who may know more about the language than we already do. It is built on C so im guessing its like lua

Rust is not very comparable to Lua. In fact, it’s more like C++ but with memory-safety (among many others – but this is probably the most obvious). You might be thinking: “but Lua has memory-safety!” which it does, and achieves this using a garbage collector; which Rust does not have nor need. So how does Rust maintain memory-safety? Through a concept called ownership. This is arguably Rust’s greatest feature, because you can have the raw power of C, the high-level programming constructs of C++, but without the memory un-safety which is a source of many many bugs and security holes. I think it’s also worth noting that Lua code is compiled to a bytecode and then interpreted by its virtual machine, and Rust is compiled to the native architecture. Other than the points above: Rust is also extremely fast, has a great type system, has language-level traits, and easily binds to languages such as C both ways (using FFI).

Since you were mentioning web dev in Rust: http://arewewebyet.com/.

I remember looking into Rust when it was in early development stage. Didn’t really hit my tastebuds but if it’s still being developed, I wouldn’t waste time learning it yet if you really want to use it.

just read up on RUST ownership, very interesting but sounds like a bit of a learning curve to get used to

Rust is now stable.

It is, but the advantage is that you don’t need to manually manage memory manually anymore.

Thanks for the advice guys this is starting to really peak my interest I am starting today on looking into it further and such. Maybe I will have a web project or something to help show my progress? Not 100% sure yet.

Thanks again

-L&P