The continual decline of activity felt throughout the forum, what do you do?

Okay here’s a longer post I promised Tom.

Moparscape is decreasing in membership. That is because a lot of older members have moved on, but that’s given. However I think it’s important to note that Rune-Server has a stronger showing than here. That could be a mixture of factors.

One of the things that frustrates me about this community is the lack of interesting content for me to review!

That’s why I tend to visit Rune-Server more. Also, Rune-Server has a collection of posts that are important research for me to read, and when I search about various topics usually I am directed to Rune-Server. When I post projects on Rune-Server most of the traffic to my project pages (nearly 1000 views, 100+ sessions according to analytics) come from there. About 15% of my repository traffic comes from Moparscape. I get more feedback on my projects from Rune-Server. I highly enjoy peer review but here I am one of the bigger fishes in some regards so I rarely see confirmation or criticism, maybe because people are scared to try and correct me or are intimidated on posting to my topics. I would really enjoy for someone to at least say ‘Wow this is cool! I never knew this’. Its a bit disheartening releasing research and not seeing any sort of feedback. I’m not greedy in sharing what I know but I at least would like to see some intelligent discussion, I get more of that on Rune-Server.

However, I have some positives of this community. I love the game projects I see coming from here eg: Blakewake, Lin’s Game, Taharok’s game. That is what I love looking forward to seeing updates on because frankly I think some of these projects have a lot of potential and I want to see them succeed. This community isn’t AS elitist as Rune-Server and the circle jerk is pretty minimal. You may know the circle jerk I’m speaking of. The mods as well are hospitable and human.

Moparscape needs some SEO, because if I were to see research topics posted on here I’d visit here more so than I already do and I can guess some other members would as well.

[quote=“Ambokile, post:17, topic:551680”]There doesn’t seem to be much innovation on the MoparScape forums in terms of private server development. We have a large number of people working on projects that are the same as all the others but we don’t have anyone doing crazy things with their clients or servers like Harry over on R-S with his RuneScape FPS. This was something that I hoped could be addressed by releasing my refactored client, by making it easier for people with less knowledge of the RuneScape client to make their own modifications to it but sadly it just didn’t have the effect that I expected.

I think the way to get more activity on MoparScape is first to release more informative threads. We need to be the place to go for snippets, tutorials and code releases. The other approach would be to encourage innovation with the RuneScape clients and servers - to make us less about RuneScape emulation and more about RuneScape modification.[/quote]

Uhm, this is exactly what you’re describing. However I agree with you on your other points. There’s nearly 500 views on my thread, not really any engaging posts though. I hit on that though.

The official server has the ability to bring in more members. However I, David, and David and I can’t do it alone. We both get frustrated with all the work and there hasn’t been enough movement for either of us to be convinced any of you are going to assist us. If you need help getting to the point TO help then just ask. I can instruct you on git or get your development environment setup. I usually see 1-2 new IRC members pop up on #mopardev and ask how they play. So hey, I think that’d be a decent way to grow the community.

Runescape is in decline, however anymore I don’t feel that is enough of an excuse to say that is why the community is declining. I see a lot of new members on #moparscape, #mopardev asking about servers all the time! If they have the desire to get on IRC and ask these questions we should be ready to at least help them. You’d be surprised how much just a little hello, or starting a conversation with these people gives them the desire to stick around. We should probably be a little more welcoming.

I would love to publish some articles to the wiki, but I hate the current wiki format. I’d prefer if it was markdown honestly but. I think the wiki also needs to be the top entry when you search ‘rsps wiki’. It’s not even on the search results…

Edit: Should make some of the veteran research topics public. Also reading franks posts is fucking hilarious.

Honestly, there is a lack of engagement throughout the forum. Post count, avatars, and signatures allow the user to express themselves. By adding restrictions to those profile components, you are effectively deterring users from doing so. Now I’m not condoning the use of 1600x1200 signatures and mind melting gifs but some more flexibility would surely create a more welcoming community.

That alone will motivate them to post more frequently (in a positive manner) just to recreate that same feeling. No one likes getting trashed on countless threads but instead of punishing those who do the trashing, allow the community to reward those who contribute constructively.

Treat the forums like a game and feed the self esteem of the users.

Why do we care if the forum dies?

Cause some of us aren’t cynical?

I’ve pushed for the official server, even out of my own pocket. I’m not skilled enough to develop it, and I’ve tried to get the best for those who are. Unfortunately if the current situation isn’t suffice for those involved it’s unlikely to go forward. I can say safely the situation is out of my hands, if anyone has alternatives or wishes to suggest something they think they can do, or they think I can do please tell me.

Yeah, I do think the forum needs more SEO, there is one SMF modification I was looking at which makes links more friendly to users and search engines and obviously there’s a few other things we can try and do. I’ll speak to Moparisthebest about the SEO side of things and see what he has to say.

[quote=“Sessy Pk3r, post:22, topic:551680”]Honestly, there is a lack of engagement throughout the forum. Post count, avatars, and signatures allow the user to express themselves. By adding restrictions to those profile components, you are effectively deterring users from doing so. Now I’m not condoning the use of 1600x1200 signatures and mind melting gifs but some more flexibility would surely create a more welcoming community.

That alone will motivate them to post more frequently (in a positive manner) just to recreate that same feeling. No one likes getting trashed on countless threads but instead of punishing those who do the trashing, allow the community to reward those who contribute constructively.

Treat the forums like a game and feed the self esteem of the users.[/quote]

I am a fan of more personalised profiles, and as I’ve said in another topic recently, a reward system. Though the huge debate is what reward system? Avatars have been enabled, signature space was increased a while back, and a more lenient approach to name changes was adopted. What else do you think needs changing? What kind of reward system would you go for?

[quote=“Soulcist, post:11, topic:551680”]It MIGHT help to bring in a new look. I’m not saying it’s going to bring in like… 100 members, probably won’t even bring in 50 but the fact that this forum has had the same look since it’s creation is mind boggling. As I said, a fresh, sleek new look all the while bringing in a new theme (which shouldn’t have even taken this long to come up with the idea of what to bring on the forum).

I personally have never had much experience with bringing people to a forum so I can’t help too much with this but I do think a nice, neat new look would help a little - IMO.[/quote]

Any suggestions for a fresh new look? I don’t disagree it’s just that SMF isn’t the greatest for front end design. Moparisthebest did want to change the forum software, but that was even worse for front end design so thank goodness he didn’t! :slight_smile:

Can I get a name change to sini ;3?

i’ve been dying to change my name for years but i think taharok told me i couldn’t

Official server wise I say we gauge interest, let the pleebs pick what they want to do.

If you have any personal requests, like name changes, forward them to myself via PM please.

Jagex is destroying oldschool and there are many oldschool fans who would prefer a 508 era game, the best hope for the forum is for the official server to make further progress

Start there. Anything server related won’t make it. For servers to be popular runescape has to be popular, which is hardly is nowadays.

The biggest issue I’ve found with the official server, for me at least, is a base thread or something that states: what needs to be added, what the vision for it is, bugs and such, and how to contribute. For me, I’ve never had any issue adapting Git repositories or anything like that, that’s for those who never use Git. However, I struggle with “what now?” after I get it setup. I apologize if there is a place like this, and I’ve overlooked it in my search, but these suggestions would help me greatly, and hopefully others.

Lies. All lies. That bold text is lies.
I asked like 3 times for signature changes and you guys shot them down. Including “just an increase in the text limit”.

Proof: https://www.moparisthebest.com/smf/index.php/topic,656650.msg4393569.html#msg4393569

“a while back”

bruh if you mean like 5 years…

[quote=“sk8rdude461, post:32, topic:551680”][quote author=Tom link=topic=670595.msg4484165#msg4484165 date=1432768124]
I am a fan of more personalised profiles, and as I’ve said in another topic recently, a reward system. Though the huge debate is what reward system? Avatars have been enabled, signature space was increased a while back, and a more lenient approach to name changes was adopted. What else do you think needs changing? What kind of reward system would you go for?
[/quote]
I asked like 3 times for signature changes and you guys shot them down. Including “just an increase in the text limit”.

Proof: https://www.moparisthebest.com/smf/index.php/topic,656650.msg4393569.html#msg4393569[/quote]

All lies, then just the bold text? :stuck_out_tongue: I thought I recalled the signature limit being increased a little while before that topic was posted, perhaps not but I’ll check properly sortly. I wouldn’t say it was shot down either, especially considering MITBs response, a simple increase after that wouldn’t have been much to push.

[quote=“Tom, post:34, topic:551680”][quote author=sk8rdude461 link=topic=670595.msg4484208#msg4484208 date=1432789743]

Proof: https://www.moparisthebest.com/smf/index.php/topic,656650.msg4393569.html#msg4393569
[/quote]

All lies, then just the bold text? :stuck_out_tongue: I thought I recalled the signature limit being increased a little while before that topic was posted, perhaps not but I’ll check properly sortly. I wouldn’t say it was shot down either, especially considering MITBs response,[/quote]
Except I didn’t (and still don’t) have the knowledge on how to write such a plugin/mod/whatever you want to call it.
And that doesn’t change how the text limit didn’t change.

a simple increase after that wouldn't have been much to push.
You're exactly right, a simple increase isn't much to change. SMF has the text limit value in the admin control panel. So why can't it be done?

Nobody in the topic refused to increase the limit, if that’s what the community wants then the limit can be increased, My point was nobody shot down your ideas that you’re claiming to have requested so many times, or said the addition would be difficult.If anything people just presented other alternatives so nothing went forward in the end, the last reply was by an administrator. If you want to continue the discussion and get support for your idea then go ah

Your suggestion had no clear community backing, just others presenting different ideas or removing support entirely, therefore with the conservative views the forum is naturally accustomed to it doesn’t go forward.

signatures are for faggots and won’t save the community. They should be removed completely noone uses them for anything other than davidi bashing anyway.

[quote=“Tom, post:36, topic:551680”]Nobody in the topic refused to increase the limit, if that’s what the community wants then the limit can be increased, My point was nobody shot down your ideas that you’re claiming to have requested so many times, or said the addition would be difficult.If anything people just presented other alternatives so nothing went forward in the end, the last reply was by an administrator. If you want to continue the discussion and get support for your idea then go ah

Your suggestion had no clear community backing, just others presenting different ideas or removing support entirely, therefore with the conservative views the forum is naturally accustomed to it doesn’t go forward.[/quote]
There was 2 people on that topic (Unless I’m missing something because replies got deleted) that were against the increase. The rest were either A) Trolling/Joking around B) Supporting the idea of at least getting double the text length C) Me bumping the post.

And you are right, MITB essentially said that if someone created the mod that it would be added. But the point was, like you said, nothing happened with it. And if you’d like to talk community backing, we can open up a discussion on the rep system everyone wants but nobody can agree on.

Sure, but that doesn’t change how almost nothing gets done on the forums at times…

Just to clarify this will most likely be my last response to the subject matter in this topic, sk8r. We can discuss it on the other topic or through PM if you want, I just don’t want this topic being diverted too much.

Another way of putting that is: There were 2 people who supported the idea (including yourself), 2 who didn’t, and the rest were trolling/joking around. You’re right in saying a lot of suggestions get passed to the back room, most likely due to lack of compatibility in plugins or other technical constraints, but this is hardly an extenuating example of the forum administration blatantly ignoring the communities ruling and not doing anything. Your suggestion isn’t nearly as clear cut as you’re selling it as, therefore I think it’s fair play that it hasn’t been added, that’s not to say it never will though.

[quote=“Tom, post:39, topic:551680”]Just to clarify this will most likely be my last response to the subject matter in this topic, sk8r. We can discuss it on the other topic or through PM if you want, I just don’t want this topic being diverted too much.

Another way of putting that is: There were 2 people who supported the idea (including yourself), 2 who didn’t, and the rest were trolling/joking around. You’re right in saying a lot of suggestions get passed to the back room, most likely due to lack of compatibility in plugins or other technical constraints, but this is hardly an extenuating example of the forum administration blatantly ignoring the communities ruling and not doing anything. Your suggestion isn’t nearly as clear cut as you’re selling it as, therefore I think it’s fair play that it hasn’t been added, that’s not to say it never will though.[/quote]
I uh… I don’t get what’s so shady or whatever about asking for 250 more characters in a text box… But okay. We’ll continue discussion in PM (If I even feel the need to continue talking about it)