Travis

all the name changes have been massive gay and fails lately,
Thug_life > tl
bootnecklad > bnl
zachera > z

[quote=“lawl_temp, post:21, topic:441323”]all the name changes have been massive gay and fails lately,
Thug_life > tl
bootnecklad > bnl
zachera > z[/quote]I should totally change my nick to ts and cause confusion!

t4
ts
tl

[quote=“lawl_temp, post:21, topic:441323”]all the name changes have been massive gay and fails lately,
Thug_life > tl
bootnecklad > bnl
zachera > z[/quote]at least we’re conserving bandwidth usage

I’d have had “niall” on kaitnieks but it was taken

that’s the problem with the web right now, you have to pick a display name and it has to be unique :confused:

It was an underground conspiracy to gradually shorten all of our names till they completely disappeared.

Assign one of the 26 letters to each of the 26 active members and be done with it.

What happened with mutex_?

he realized it’s a homo name

[quote=“t4, post:29, topic:441323”][quote author=Rix_ link=topic=544014.msg3988906#msg3988906 date=1336304478]
What happened with mutex_?
[/quote]
he realized it’s a homo name[/quote]yep. i was trying to be cool

[quote=“zachera, post:12, topic:441323”][quote author=Moparisthebest link=topic=544014.msg3988040#msg3988040 date=1336192144]
Why does everyone always want their name changed? All it does is make everything very confusing.
[/quote]Because you disabled the ability to change the display name…[/quote]
Because it’s super confusing, you can never tell who is who.

[quote=“Moparisthebest, post:31, topic:441323”][quote author=zachera link=topic=544014.msg3988048#msg3988048 date=1336193206]

Because it’s super confusing, you can never tell who is who.[/quote]
I believe steam conquered this issue by having ‘last known as’.

You could detach the username and display name. So my username would be the original username I used to sign up, R.I.P RSC, and my display name would be anything I’d want. Add a feature where when you mouseover the display name, you see the username, and the confusion is gone!

the username and display name are already detached on the backend in SMF - the issue is a social/confusion one, not a technical one

see my post for a great solution

[quote=“t4, post:35, topic:441323”][quote author=Mopman link=topic=544014.msg3989871#msg3989871 date=1336430168]
the username and display name are already detached on the backend in SMF - the issue is a social/confusion one, not a technical one
[/quote]
see my post for a great solution[/quote]Last Known As is great. On top of that, require at least seven days between username changes, so that way people can’t just go crazy and change it indefinitely.

[quote=“t4, post:35, topic:441323”][quote author=Mopman link=topic=544014.msg3989871#msg3989871 date=1336430168]
[/quote]
see my post for a great solution[/quote]
And we keep a backlog of how many?

For an example of why you can’t change your display names, anyone besides me remember what happened when people discovered you could? They would change them to ‘rnoparisthebest’, or ‘M0paristhebest’, or ‘admin’, or ‘kaitneiks’, or ‘mopman_sucks’, etc etc. It was a nightmare.

Only people with an established rank in the community should have access to name changes (CM+, probably MSCP Vets too). And they would be limited to one name change every few months. If they can’t be trusted to not have names like that, they shouldn’t have these ranks…

It was mostly the CM’s in the first place that made these childish name changes. I think it was aftermath or cheese_police who did rnoparisthebest, and silabsoft changed hers to something similar as well. :slight_smile:

Actually Aftermath made the radical change from Aftermath_96 to Aftermath.