Why is it?

I’ve been lurking the rsc forums and I haven’t found any rsc server with some good quality banners and client bgs, now there shouldn’t be an excuse for the banners, but, the client bgs. Why are the client bgs such poor quality, is that because the client itself can’t support anything of a higher quality or?

When you put a high-quality image in the client cache, it’ll be pixelized anyway. Think that’s the main reason they’re such poor quality.

Me myself, I don’t even bother touching the client backgrounds, the original one fits best imo

[quote=“Mikeyzzz, post:1, topic:547322”]I’ve been lurking the rsc forums and I haven’t found any rsc server with some good quality banners and client bgs, now there shouldn’t be an excuse for the banners, but, the client bgs. Why are the client bgs such poor quality, is that because the client itself can’t support anything of a higher quality or?[/quote]No. It’s just because nobody in the RSC scene is artistically talented or, if they are, just haven’t bothered to make something decent. Most of the new servers popping up are ran by amateurs (no negative connotation intended) so the quality of the project in general appears poor.

[quote=“RSCShadow, post:3, topic:547322”][quote author=Mikeyzzz link=topic=666229.msg4454135#msg4454135 date=1413613457]
I’ve been lurking the rsc forums and I haven’t found any rsc server with some good quality banners and client bgs, now there shouldn’t be an excuse for the banners, but, the client bgs. Why are the client bgs such poor quality, is that because the client itself can’t support anything of a higher quality or?
[/quote]No. It’s just because nobody in the RSC scene is artistically talented or, if they are, just haven’t bothered to make something decent. Most of the new servers popping up are ran by amateurs (no negative connotation intended) so the quality of the project in general appears poor.[/quote]Imma let you finish but ClassicKBD has the best banner of all time.

Thanks for the replies guys, really informative (no sarcasm intended).

The issue with graphics is that old school feeling to it. If you update the graphics to something of todays ‘nature’ like league of legends, starcraft II, RS3, etc etc you lose the original 1990s-early 00s feeling and that feeling is really hard to replicate for anybody.

I have done a lot of programming with the old warcraft II tides of darkness and even in that community it’s extremely difficult to find people who can replicate that 90’s-early 00’s content but create their own innovation.

Even with the notes, I can use any ‘template’ I want but even we have a hard time figuring out how we want to achieve it. I know a few people who can make some awesome newer stuff but you give them the old school gaming feeling and it’s really difficult for them to replicate it.

[quote=“imthenull, post:4, topic:547322”][quote author=RSCShadow link=topic=666229.msg4454201#msg4454201 date=1413659816]

[quote author=Mikeyzzz link=topic=666229.msg4454135#msg4454135 date=1413613457]
[/quote]No. It’s just because nobody in the RSC scene is artistically talented or, if they are, just haven’t bothered to make something decent. Most of the new servers popping up are ran by amateurs (no negative connotation intended) so the quality of the project in general appears poor.
[/quote]Imma let you finish but ClassicKBD has the best banner of all time.

[quote author=brwn link=topic=567730.msg4123734#msg4123734 date=1350118964]

[/quote][/quote]

This guys knows whats up!

[quote=“Rodgerwilco, post:6, topic:547322”]The issue with graphics is that old school feeling to it. If you update the graphics to something of todays ‘nature’ like league of legends, starcraft II, RS3, etc etc you lose the original 1990s-early 00s feeling and that feeling is really hard to replicate for anybody.

I have done a lot of programming with the old warcraft II tides of darkness and even in that community it’s extremely difficult to find people who can replicate that 90’s-early 00’s content but create their own innovation.

Even with the notes, I can use any ‘template’ I want but even we have a hard time figuring out how we want to achieve it. I know a few people who can make some awesome newer stuff but you give them the old school gaming feeling and it’s really difficult for them to replicate it.[/quote]I think it’s hard to find the right places to look. There’s still a huge, thriving community of sprite artists that replicate 8-bit, 16-bit, etc. feels with their art and game sprites. Maybe check http://opengameart.org/ for some talented people to contract?

EDIT: And sometimes we can make do with slightly different ideas. Who said RSC has to have notes? Maybe they scribed their intentions on stone tablets.

Well I was thinking of using the certificates and just making them vertical but who knows what is best. Scrolls are pretty old school in terms of history and relate to a time when civilizations started trading.