Home Theater / Smart House Project - Progress Log - Picture Heavy

Well I figure this will keep me motivated to work on this project and also to keep track of how much I am spending as now everything is just a bunch of ebay and amazon invoices. I will post pictures whenever I do some more work. I will add more details but basically I just got done putting the speakers in which took me over 30 hours of work because there was a stud in the ceiling where I wanted the speaker so I had to cut part of it out using a dremel multimax…this became a pain in the ass. I might start doing time-lapses of me working to because I usually work all day Saturday on this project.

This thread will be structured better and more detailed, had to throw this together and start on my class work

Front Speakers

Back Speakers

Speaker up Close

Wall cut out to run wiring. There will be 10 Cat6A drops, 4 RG6 Quad lines, and the 4 lines I just put in for the speakers

Here is where the speaker posts went and this will be where the cable box and modem connect to, hdmi will run through a access port plate also

This is the wiring in the utility closet in the basement. This has to be redone because its horrible and the signal loss coming the 1-8 splitters needs to be addressed

You have too much money for your own good.

Where does the ‘smart house’ come in? I’d really like to wire my house up like that so I can have the lights turn themselves on and off and be able to control everything from a central location.

Well I:

a) don’t spend money frivolously
b) have been saving money for this project for about a year

So I think its fair

Probably going to go with Insteon products if I decide to do something like this. I guess I used the smarthouse term kinda freely but its mainly the ip cameras and cat6a network which I think is “smart”. My televisions can also be controlled over the network along with the pioneer audio receiver im buying

u need 2 give more of tat 2 the poor if u hav enuf food and sheltr u do not need lukcherries.

Looks pretty good, keep us updated. I love this sort of stuff.

You spend too much time on moparisthebest.com

My face upon reading this.

[quote=“mwiebelhaus, post:4, topic:432184”][quote author=Moparisthebest link=topic=534895.msg3910912#msg3910912 date=1328733718]
Where does the ‘smart house’ come in? I’d really like to wire my house up like that so I can have the lights turn themselves on and off and be able to control everything from a central location.
[/quote]

Probably going to go with Insteon products if I decide to do something like this. I guess I used the smarthouse term kinda freely but its mainly the ip cameras and cat6a network which I think is “smart”. My televisions can also be controlled over the network along with the pioneer audio receiver im buying[/quote]

Where were you planning on buying them? When I priced this stuff a few months ago it looked like X10-based products had the best prices and availability.

Ive done a shitload of stuff but I didnt take alot of pictures. I ran 5 new coax lines and 4 cat6a lines, I found a cat5e line running to the basement theater when they remodeled the basement that they accidentally wired with the security lines so I cut that out and used a junction box to connect it to a cat6a run. Here is a picture of the coax wired correctly once I redid it and labeled (a picture in the main post is the wiring before).

[quote=“mwiebelhaus, post:9, topic:432184”]http://i39.tinypic.com/2diq90x.jpg

Ive done a shitload of stuff but I didnt take alot of pictures. I ran 5 new coax lines and 4 cat6a lines, I found a cat5e line running to the basement theater when they remodeled the basement that they accidentally wired with the security lines so I cut that out and used a junction box to connect it to a cat6a run. Here is a picture of the coax wired correctly once I redid it and labeled (a picture in the main post is the wiring before).[/quote]Why the coax if you are planning on streaming TV via LAN?

[quote=“Teh Spede, post:10, topic:432184”][quote author=mwiebelhaus link=topic=534895.msg3934379#msg3934379 date=1330943014]

Ive done a shitload of stuff but I didnt take alot of pictures. I ran 5 new coax lines and 4 cat6a lines, I found a cat5e line running to the basement theater when they remodeled the basement that they accidentally wired with the security lines so I cut that out and used a junction box to connect it to a cat6a run. Here is a picture of the coax wired correctly once I redid it and labeled (a picture in the main post is the wiring before).
[/quote]Why the coax if you are planning on streaming TV via LAN?[/quote]

The TV streaming via LAN is more for me being able to watch live TV at my desk or laptop and to stream shows over the internet to my myself or to my parents when they want to watch a sports game when its not available in their viewing area. Its also not practical for me to have a computer everywhere I have a TV because some of the TV’s I have are smaller TV’s that hardly get used been need to work when people are visiting and using the guest room. Plus most of the coax was already there and I needed it to be setup correctly to get a good signal to my tuner and to my cable modem.

How are you planning on streaming from the computer to the TV in the first place? I asked how it could be done here, and got no good answers. Right now I have the computer running to a $10 RF convertor which is piped all around the house, but I have to change it to a lower resolution to be visible on those TVs, and of course it is just standard definition.

The only option I saw for distributing HD content over coax in the house was the link at the bottom of that thread, and it only cost 1500 euros! :eek:

why not go wireless!!

Grrr hate having to remove my old post to post new pictures, gay. Anyway heres some pictures over the span of about 2 months. I am getting the corner cabinet made and the TV we are buying isnt coming out until the the 13th. Also the guy hired to patch the the drywall was a complete dumbass you can see the where the old drywall goes to the new drywall because he used a different thickness and didnt even it out well, but the cabinet and the TV will cover it up making it unnoticeable.

PICTURES:

Can you update this please. I want to see what kind of progress you’ve made.

Great cable management. Looks awesome, what all do you use it for?

Impressive - when I get a place of my own I want to do something like this.