Intelligent conversation

i’m bored, lets have an intelligent conversation

How is babby formed?

On a serious note, is there any particular reason Java doesn’t support unsigned data types? It’s pretty annoying.

Quick, do something productive for the community!

See: https://www.moparisthebest.com/smf/index.php/topic,479828.0.html

I can not compute with this level of intelligence.

[quote=“m.dog311, post:2, topic:410034”]How is babby formed?

On a serious note, is there any particular reason Java doesn’t support unsigned data types? It’s pretty annoying.[/quote]

Java doesn’t /need/ unsigned data-types.

Gosling: For me as a language designer, which I don't really count myself as these days, what "simple" really ended up meaning was could I expect J. Random Developer to hold the spec in his head. That definition says that, for instance, Java isn't -- and in fact a lot of these languages end up with a lot of corner cases, things that nobody really understands. Quiz any C developer about unsigned, and pretty soon you discover that almost no C developers actually understand what goes on with unsigned, what unsigned arithmetic is. Things like that made C complex. The language part of Java is, I think, pretty simple. The libraries you have to look up.

[quote=“slavemaster, post:5, topic:410034”][quote author=m.dog311 link=topic=511300.msg3710376#msg3710376 date=1313305491]
How is babby formed?

On a serious note, is there any particular reason Java doesn’t support unsigned data types? It’s pretty annoying.
[/quote]

Java doesn’t /need/ unsigned data-types.

Well it does have BigInteger :stuck_out_tongue:

Java isn't -- and in fact a lot of these languages end up with a lot of corner cases, things that nobody really understands. Quiz any C developer about unsigned, and pretty soon you discover that almost no C developers actually understand what goes on with unsigned, what unsigned arithmetic is

That’s weird, I’d have said the same thing, but with Java and C reversed.

Really? How? I can’t think of anything in Java that surprises me or isn’t fairly self-explanatory. I can think of all sorts of examples in C++.

Why would you not have unsigned integers? It makes more sense to have them.

[quote=“T4_, post:9, topic:410034”][quote author=Moparisthebest link=topic=511300.msg3710947#msg3710947 date=1313349824]
Really? How? I can’t think of anything in Java that surprises me or isn’t fairly self-explanatory. I can think of all sorts of examples in C++.
[/quote]
Why would you not have unsigned integers? It makes more sense to have them.[/quote]
Why would you? Then you have to worry about assigning an unsigned integer to a signed one or vice-versa, and there isn’t anything you can do with unsigned integers that you can’t with signed integers.

It’s always better to follow the KISS principle: Keep It Simple Stupid.

Both he and I said C, nothing about C++. I agree with the sentiment for C++.

[quote=“Moparisthebest, post:10, topic:410034”][quote author=T4_ link=topic=511300.msg3710955#msg3710955 date=1313350014]

Why would you not have unsigned integers? It makes more sense to have them.
[/quote]
Why would you? Then you have to worry about assigning an unsigned integer to a signed one or vice-versa, and there isn’t anything you can do with unsigned integers that you can’t with signed integers.

It’s always better to follow the KISS principle: Keep It Simple Stupid.[/quote]
Well isn’t that the programmer’s fault? You’d just have to watch yourself – after all you’d CHOOSE to use unsigned integers.

I’be got balls of steel

Nothing strange in C? I suppose you’ve never used the comma operator :stuck_out_tongue:

C has a colon operator? Only uses I can think of for colons are the ternary if and labels…

Apologies, a mental slip-up!

Ah, heh yeah, ok. I thought you were trying a trick question like the one I saw on stackoverflow a long time ago that I can’t seem to find.

Something like “what is the meaning of the => operator in C, it seems to mean ‘up to’”

As in while(i => 5)…

Fair enough, C does seem to be less completely full of hidden pitfalls than C++.

[quote=“T4_, post:12, topic:410034”][quote author=Moparisthebest link=topic=511300.msg3710993#msg3710993 date=1313350969]

It’s always better to follow the KISS principle: Keep It Simple Stupid.
[/quote]
Well isn’t that the programmer’s fault? You’d just have to watch yourself – after all you’d CHOOSE to use unsigned integers.[/quote]
But again, there is no reason to choose to use them, so why offer the choice? Then there is also the fact that many times you aren’t working on 100% your own code, you are using other’s code or 3rd party libraries, and figuring out what they are doing and converting back and forth with how you need to do it becomes a bit of a nightmare, that could have been altogether avoided.

I can’t think of any pitfalls in C once you get your head around memory scope. It really is a simple language with a very small feature-set.

I don’t really think java needs unsigned types, given that unsigned is merely a different interpretation of a bitfield.

[quote=“Moparisthebest, post:18, topic:410034”][quote author=Mopman link=topic=511300.msg3711014#msg3711014 date=1313351759]
Both he and I said C, nothing about C++. I agree with the sentiment for C++.
[/quote]
Fair enough, C does seem to be less completely full of hidden pitfalls than C++.

But again, there is no reason to choose to use them, so why offer the choice? Then there is also the fact that many times you aren’t working on 100% your own code, you are using other’s code or 3rd party libraries, and figuring out what they are doing and converting back and forth with how you need to do it becomes a bit of a nightmare, that could have been altogether avoided.[/quote]
example: RuneScape is forced to use signed integers for item amount value - unsigned integers would allow a larger stack of items and disallow them from ever becoming negative.