IRC Joining Tutorial! [INCLUDES THE FORUMS, mIRC, and XCHAT!]

[center][size=36pt]MoparScape IRC![/size]

So lets get started… You may be asking yourself, “What is this “IRC” you speak of?” Well let me explain. Basically IRC is a chat where you can chat with many users of the Moparscape.org/smf forums, as well as get server help and advice!

IRC stands for Internet Relay Chat, here’s some more info.

Internet Relay Chat (IRC) is a form of real-time Internet chat or synchronous conferencing. It is mainly designed for group (many-to-many) communication in discussion forums called channels, but also allows one-to-one communication via private message and data transfers via Direct Client-to-Client.

So you probably didn’t understand anything mentioned above, but thats okay! IRC is in no way difficult to use!

Lets get started on how to join and start chatting with other forum users! The first part of this will cater to users who already have experience with IRC, but fear not, a newbie tutorial will follow!

[shadow=green,left]EXPIRENCED USER TUTORIAL[/shadow]

IRC Servers as of March 9, 2013:
irc.moparisthebest.com
irc.moparisthebest.xxx

Official MoparScape channel:
#Moparscape

Our IRC network has the same commands as any other network would, so if you use SwiftIRC, Rizon, Freenode, ETC…you’ll be fine with commands.

[shadow=blue,left]NEW USER TUTORIAL[/shadow]

So you want to join in on the fun discussion and action that takes part on our IRC. Well first you’ll have to make your big choice of what client you want to use. The two most popular IRC clients are XCHAT and MIRC, or if you don’t wish to download a client you can use the handy IRC Chat option on the Moparscape forums!

mIRC—>FREE
XCHAT—> 30 DAY EVALUATION. If you like XCHAT, then try XCHAT2 for free
Browser based chat—>Free & easy…No download required!

[shadow=yellow,left]mIRC[/shadow]
So if you’ve chosen mIRC to be your client, here is a full tutorial on how to get you familiar with it!

After downloading and installing it, you will come to a screen like this:

At that screen, you should input all the information requested. When putting in your full name and email, you do not need to use your real information. For nickname, chose your chosen nickname, and the alternative is just a back up name in case your name is taken.

Press ok, than close out of that screen. Your should now see your full mIRC client. Now all you need to do is add the server and click connect(The lightning button at the top left)

After doing so, type /join #Moparscape and have fun chatting. More commands for you to use will be listed at the end of this topic.

[shadow=orange,left]XCHAT[/shadow]

So if you’ve chosen XCHAT to be your client, here is a full tutorial on how to get you familiar with it!

After downloading and installing it, you will come to a screen like this:

All you need to do is add your usernames, and add a network. Click Add and add “IRC.Moparisthebest.com” You can favorite channels that you wish to join. In this case, it would be #Moparscape. Click connect and welcome to the Moparscape Channel!

[shadow=Purple,left]Browser based forum chat[/shadow]

So, not interested in all the hassle of downloading clients? No problem! Here’s the easiest way to get on IRC!

First, scroll up to the top of the site. Click “IRC Chat” as highlighted in the picture below:

You will be brought to the Moparisthebest IRC network and should be brought into #Moparscape. Now you are free to chat with other Moparscape users!

[shadow=brown,left]Commands, What you can expect, Rules, and Channel OPS[/shadow]

Registering your nickname:

/msg nickserv register YourPassword YourEmail

Identifying your nickname after registering it:

/msg nickserv identify YourPassword

Join other channels:

/join #channelName

Leaving a channel:

/part #ChannelName

======================= What you can expect==========================
Not all IRC users are friendly. Realize some people are there to help you, while some are there to troll and flame. If you find yourself being flamed or insulted, don’t instigate an argument. Just leave and try again later.

Occasionally you will feel left out, but don’t feel bad. Most of us on IRC have been together for years, so a mutual friendship is shown. Respect must be earned, so it might take sometime to be “accepted”

=======================RULES========================

1. No excess flooding of the channel, please type reasonably and don’t put one word per line. If you “sing” and it disrupts the channel it constitutes as flooding.
  2. No excessive trolling, the IRC is a relaxed environment where we can all get along while this isn’t going to be strictly enforced if you become a tall flower (a detrimental issue) then you will be removed from the channel.
  3. No advertising - You’re not going to get any traffic here, and people don’t come here to find runescape servers or your new life changing website. Use the appropriate functions to attract appropriate people. For example: If you want to advertise your runescape server use our server status page at http://www.moparisthebest.com/serverstatus.php
  4. Realize that nobody has to help you - We have a server help section and alternate IRC channels like #help if nobody helps you now then try again later or try somewhere else. Do not flood the channel and be a fool.

Any updated rules can be found in the channel topic.

==========Channel OPS============
These are people in charge of maintaining order on the channel. They are represented by colors on XCHAT and a symbol on mIRC.

1. Tom
  2. Moparisthebest
  3. tL
  4. Fat_Cookies
  5. Si Force
  6. Davidi2
  7. Evil

I went ahead and unlocked this topic so if users happen to have any questions they can post them here.

It was brought to my attention to include a web-based client that is more user-friendly then our IRC tab. I’ve added it as the web-based link, or you can join by clicking: https://irc.moparisthebest.xxx:9090/

I’ve also added the rules since Tom decided anarchy wasn’t the best method. Make sure you read them to avoid any problems.

What about Hexchat as an alternative with xchat2?

Sure, you could use any alternative client. I just choose to use the 3 basic ones for user-simplicity.

hexchat is just a fork of xchat iirc

HexChat is better than XChat. The development of XChat is more or less dead; as of this post there have been no releases since 2010, and I don’t think the developers are planning anything soon. At the moment I’m not able to access the SVN repo site but I think it’s probably dead as well.

a++ good tut will use

[quote=“Whackatre, post:7, topic:350153”][quote author=t4 link=topic=446520.msg4395553#msg4395553 date=1388998552]
hexchat is just a fork of xchat iirc
[/quote]

HexChat is better than XChat. The development of XChat is more or less dead; as of this post there have been no releases since 2010, and I don’t think the developers are planning anything soon. At the moment I’m not able to access the SVN repo site but I think it’s probably dead as well.[/quote]
forks can be different :stuck_out_tongue:

And free lol

Might be about time to update this. Xchat2 is no longer maintained. Hexchat is the big boy now. Also the link used for the web applet is now out dated since moving to kiwi irc. We should also update the staff list so it includes both a #moparscape and #mopar list or just add zuppers to the list. :stuck_out_tongue: You may also want to change #help to just #moparscape since no one ever even uses the help channel.

The best thing about IRC is the fun people I get to talk to on a daily basis! I have made some life long friends here and learnt a whole host of new skills that are applicable in the real world!

See people!

#mopar isn’t full of heartless jerks who do nothing but put you down!

erm. :expressionless:

don’t be a retard and you won’t be put down

painfully

I cannot connect in any IRC client or browser based clients…

Are you using irc.moparisthebest.com/6697 and SSL?

[quote=“Archer, post:17, topic:350153”]I cannot connect in any IRC client or browser based clients…[/quote]rep++

Yes.