iTunes DRM (Music & Movies) Removal Tool

Personally, I’d never buy any music from iTunes - but I found that the movie/TV catalog to be quite nice. Recently, I wanted to download the Metal Evolution documentary series, but not many torrent/linking sites had it as it was a newer series. I also didn’t want crap quality of a TV rip - so I caved and bought the episodes I wanted on iTunes for $2.99 each - they came in 720p so it was even more an incentive. Long story short, iTunes DRMs their video content and currently there’s no public/available utilities to counteract this measure and after some long searching I came across the utility I’ve attached. It’s apparently written in Java & C.

I’ve just finished stripping 4 movies of DRM and I can verify it works.

Link (windows executable & source): http://www.mediafire.com/?3a8t2ct22srj91l

Archive password: moparisthebest_

[quote=“t4”]Be warned: this tool does not remove the proprietary tagging that iTunes stores in your files (which is personally identifiable information).

To remove this, I recommend: http://sourceforge.net/projects/atomicparsley/

The project also documents their format - a nice read.[/quote]

I thought iTunes quit using DRM a few years ago? What happened to that?

That could have been limited to music.

In May 2007, EMI tracks became available in iTunes Plus format at a higher price point. These tracks were higher quality (256 kbps) and DRM free. In October 2007, the cost of iTunes Plus tracks was lowered to US$0.99.[21] In April 2009, all iTunes music became available completely DRM free. (Videos sold and rented through iTunes, as well as iOS Apps, however, were to continue using Apple’s FairPlay DRM.)

Be warned: this tool does not remove the proprietary tagging that iTunes stores in your files (which is personally identifiable information).

To remove this, I recommend: http://sourceforge.net/projects/atomicparsley/

The project also documents their format - a nice read.

Yeah, they managed to convince the the music studios to get rid of the DRM. The movie & TV show producers weren’t as desperate at the time.

Well that’s alright, because it looks like someone has made their choice for them. :smiley:

[quote=“Lothy, post:7, topic:431949”]Well that’s alright, because it looks like someone has made their choice for them. :D[/quote]Yeah, fuck the man! Who needs to gain partnerships to make money from their systems anyway?

You know, I don’t care if you post stuff like this in the public either, I did:

The whole DRM system is just awful and useless.

[quote=“Speljohan, post:8, topic:431949”][quote author=Lothy link=topic=534656.msg3909470#msg3909470 date=1328566662]
Well that’s alright, because it looks like someone has made their choice for them. :smiley:
[/quote]Yeah, fuck the man! Who needs to gain partnerships to make money from their systems anyway?[/quote]
They are most welcome to use their systems to sell untainted files.

[quote=“Lothy, post:10, topic:431949”][quote author=Speljohan link=topic=534656.msg3909472#msg3909472 date=1328566800]

They are most welcome to use their systems to sell untainted files.[/quote]They are most welcome to whatever they well damn please. If you disagree, don’t use the service (which i’m sure you aren’t anyway).

[quote=“Moparisthebest, post:9, topic:431949”]You know, I don’t care if you post stuff like this in the public either, I did:

The whole DRM system is just awful and useless.[/quote]
The original site of this utility was issued a forced take down, I figured you wouldn’t want to go through that.

[quote=“t4, post:12, topic:431949”][quote author=Moparisthebest link=topic=534656.msg3910566#msg3910566 date=1328677097]
You know, I don’t care if you post stuff like this in the public either, I did:

The whole DRM system is just awful and useless.
[/quote]
The original site of this utility was issued a forced take down, I figured you wouldn’t want to go through that.[/quote]
Is it open source code and such? If so, I couldn’t care less, let them send me a takedown and I can decide what I want to do at that point.

[quote=“Moparisthebest, post:13, topic:431949”][quote author=t4 link=topic=534656.msg3910751#msg3910751 date=1328712402]

The original site of this utility was issued a forced take down, I figured you wouldn’t want to go through that.
[/quote]
Is it open source code and such? If so, I couldn’t care less, let them send me a takedown and I can decide what I want to do at that point.[/quote]
I don’t think it’s GPL’d, etc - I think the creator just put it out there so people could continue the project.

[quote=“Speljohan, post:11, topic:431949”][quote author=Lothy link=topic=534656.msg3910663#msg3910663 date=1328692181]

[quote author=Speljohan link=topic=534656.msg3909472#msg3909472 date=1328566800]

They are most welcome to use their systems to sell untainted files.
[/quote]They are most welcome to whatever they well damn please. If you disagree, don’t use the service (which i’m sure you aren’t anyway).[/quote]
You’re right, I don’t. I’m linux.