Jagex is always watching, and demanding

Most of you guys are usually interested in what Jagex watches/cares about, and don’t generally visit moparisthebest.com, so I figured I’d post a link here:

Interesting, right? :slight_smile:

Not really interesting. Those people get paid to BS. Shrugs

[quote=“Moparisthebest, post:26, topic:336757”]Sorry for the bump, but I think this warrants it, I just realized I received an email about this specific thread on May 24th, 2010, I never saw it before…

So since the internet content police says I need to remove this thread, of course I will![/quote]
For the lazies.

But it really does work.

It’s a pretty shitty thing to promote, though. I’m kinda torn between thinking you should delete it because it’s a horrible thing to do, and thinking you should leave it up because of the cheek that they think they can control posts on someone else’s website. Though, they did ask nicely. Much more nicely than usual, right?

Not like it would make a difference anyway, every other site in the world has that info. on.

[quote=“Mopman, post:5, topic:411546”]It’s a pretty shitty thing to promote, though. I’m kinda torn between thinking you should delete it because it’s a horrible thing to do, and thinking you should leave it up because of the cheek that they think they can control posts on someone else’s website. Though, they did ask nicely. Much more nicely than usual, right?

Not like it would make a difference anyway, every other site in the world has that info. on.[/quote]
Well in the defense of this/that site, Budda was not being serious?

That e-mail is better written than their automated responses, which gives me the idea that they know what we talk about here (they actually watch us), but they are kind enough to not try and shut us down. If they even can, legally, though? It seems like Jagex goes along with their game, and they let the private server community evolve in a (possible) sense of curiosity.

We know they keep an eye on us. :slight_smile:

And what do they give to local authorities? An IP address?

So the police turn up to house to discuss the fact that a resident may be sucidal, when they realise there isn’t one they leave having wasted their time. They can’t blame anyone at the IP address, as we all know courts/judges wont accept evidence based purely on an IP address (for numerous reasons, at least in the UK). (It might not even be the same home using that IP anymore)

So logically the person to blame for wasting the police’s time is Jagex - As they called them, not the individual who sent the ban appeal. Basically what I’m saying is, is that this must be complete bullshit as Jagex would be majorly pissing off the police by wasting their time.

Only exception I can think of P2P where you may actually provide a billing address, but this still isn’t a home address…

“It might not even be the same home using that IP anymore”

Not sure if agree…

Also, they have way more than an IP. They have your account details. They have definitely called the police for this in the past, because I remember the news story about it.

[quote=“Mopman, post:10, topic:411546”]“It might not even be the same home using that IP anymore”

Not sure if agree…

Also, they have way more than an IP. They have your account details. They have definitely called the police for this in the past, because I remember the news story about it.[/quote]

People could switch ISP, move home or anything. Appeals are submitted and can then be waited on for weeks and even months.

I wont come out and say I think it’s never happened, but think about it and it can’t happen often, or at least not without a solid address, name etc. Which in most cases they don’t have.

What account details exactly? All I remember them requiring is username / password + if most kids use SMS pins they don’t even have a billing address.

The police found Brolapse over a post on 4chan in a few days. Also, switching ISP and moving home, there will still be records of who had that IP address at the specific time it was used for the message to Jagex, and previous home owners and such.

Well I don’t know about the post on 4chan but we’re not here to discuss how easily someone can be tracked, I’m quite aware they could find them if they tried.

My point was would they bother wasting police time/resources to hunt down another fake suicide. Which can only be blamed on Jagex for reporting it, and if weeks/months have passed then the police can’t do anything because suicidal depression can come go in hours if you’re already depressed.

But they don’t know it’s fake. That’s sort of the point. What if it turned out to be real and it came out that Jagex knew of the threats and did nothing?

Jagex aren’t the Samaritans, nor are they the police. What makes you think they have to report it, or that anyone would notice if they didn’t? (No-one sees appeals except Jagex…)

what do you think would happen to jagex if it became public knowledge that some kid claimed and then carried out suicidal intentions mentioned in a ban appeal

itt stop pretending to be experts

[quote=“frank_, post:16, topic:411546”]what do you think would happen to jagex if it became public knowledge that some kid claimed and then carried out suicidal intentions mentioned in a ban appeal

itt stop pretending to be experts[/quote]

[me=Greeny]see’s no claims of expertise anywhere.[/me]

All I see is speculation. How can you even be an expert in something like that. Daft comment.

People have been talking suicide appeals for at least 5 years, so we can safely assume thousands of people send them in. What do you think if Jagex receive hundreds of appeals a day from all over the world and have to report each one to the local law enforcement of that area. ITT stop being dumb.

I think jagex has more than just that, though. Perhaps they use evidence of what the players have said in game that might correlate to suicidal tendencies. I agree with frank_, that jagex has to do it, if not for humanitarian reasons then to keep up the image of humanitarianism, however sorting out real from false would be difficult. If jagex is watching us now, perhaps they could enlighten us, for curiosity’s sake? :slight_smile: (although i doubt that’ll happen)

Also, what happened with brolapse and the police?

Jagex will, [u][b]under certain circumstances[/b][/u], escalate claims of suicide or personal harm to the local authorities in the player’s region.

For those who still can’t read and still think they send every “suicide” appeal to the police…

Im curious what they would do if they found our actual rs account names