[RESOLVED - ACCEPTED] Removal of 20,000 character limit in some cases

Well for basically ANY tutorial that I post, they all have too much code to be posted with code tags. So I end up always needing to use pastebin. It’s not a real problem, I just don’t see a reason to have the limit, in the tutorial section at least.

Examples:

And those are just the ones I remember needing to use pastebin for.

I wouldn’t be opposed to completely removing it, because I honestly don’t see the point. But if we can just remove it for sections which require a pretty big amount of text EG(Server tutorials, Server development, Server Help, Private server client hacking) it would be convenient.

Server Help needs it too. There are some classes that take up over 20k alone.

Probably unlikely, but I could definitely see how it would happen in some cases.

[quote=“asshole_rule, post:3, topic:552427”][quote author=sk8rdude461 link=topic=671346.msg4489577#msg4489577 date=1436718926]
Server Help needs it too. There are some classes that take up over 20k alone.
[/quote]

Probably unlikely, but I could definitely see how it would happen in some cases.[/quote]
It typically happens when a user has an error, but they don’t know what file the error actually originates from (as they don’t fully understand how to read the console yet) so they post every file that the error lists… Yeah, it can get messy.

Or if I asked a person to post their NPCHandler, that file (on a pi i just grabbed) alone could not be posted (it was like ~100k chars).

[quote=“sk8rdude461, post:4, topic:552427”][quote author=asshole_rule link=topic=671346.msg4489578#msg4489578 date=1436718998]

Probably unlikely, but I could definitely see how it would happen in some cases.
[/quote]
It typically happens when a user has an error, but they don’t know what file the error actually originates from (as they don’t fully understand how to read the console yet) so they post every file that the error lists… Yeah, it can get messy.

Or if I asked a person to post their NPCHandler, that file (on a pi i just grabbed) alone could not be posted (it was like ~100k chars).[/quote]

Why not just use pastebin?

[quote=“Jmood, post:5, topic:552427”][quote author=sk8rdude461 link=topic=671346.msg4489580#msg4489580 date=1436719656]

Or if I asked a person to post their NPCHandler, that file (on a pi i just grabbed) alone could not be posted (it was like ~100k chars).
[/quote]

Why not just use pastebin?[/quote]

Why not remove the limit?

This is a forum. People post threads on them. If one were to enact writing a rather large thread, then I don’t see harm in that. For being a site based on reading other’s texts, it doesn’t seem too friendly in executing this. What’s the logic behind a limit anyways?

There is obvious logic behind a limit when it comes to page size and database management.

Code should be put on pastebin if it’s large. That’s an obvious one. The only reason I can see for raising the limit would be for larger text posts that need multiple posts like Eco’s new tutorial or the lists etc, but those are so few and far between they are taken care of manually.

[quote=“Davidi2, post:8, topic:552427”]There is obvious logic behind a limit when it comes to page size and database management.

Code should be put on pastebin if it’s large. That’s an obvious one. The only reason I can see for raising the limit would be for larger text posts that need multiple posts like Eco’s new tutorial or the lists etc, but those are so few and far between they are taken care of manually.[/quote]
The stress behind database management is extremely slim to be considered a problem. Page size, sure. Though, that’s not the reason for such a small limit. I don’t see the necessity in posting it on Pastebin as the code tags can do the same thing. It’s around the same size, making you scroll after a certain level.

I can see it being removed for the advertisement board and tutorials board. I suppose in some cases the server help board as well.

[quote=“Jmood, post:5, topic:552427”][quote author=sk8rdude461 link=topic=671346.msg4489580#msg4489580 date=1436719656]

[/quote]

Why not just use pastebin?[/quote]
I attempt to tell people to use pastebin (or one of the alternatives) but not everyone listens.

[quote=“Davidi2, post:8, topic:552427”]There is obvious logic behind a limit when it comes to page size and database management.

Code should be put on pastebin if it’s large. That’s an obvious one. The only reason I can see for raising the limit would be for larger text posts that need multiple posts like Eco’s new tutorial or the lists etc, but those are so few and far between they are taken care of manually.[/quote]

Raising of the limit is fine too.

Speaking of the lists, I think they’re in need of updating.

There is no reason you could raise it everywhere, and just mute/ban those who use it to spam.

[quote=“Bowser jr, post:14, topic:552427”]There is no reason you could raise it everywhere, and just mute/ban those who use it to spam.[/quote]Raising it probably wouldnt be a big problem, but why? Then you get people who complain because they cant post their whole client.java, or whatever. If you cant fit it in 20k characters then a fair bit of time you cant fit it in 40k either… so how do you determine what to raise it to? People need to learn to just use pastebin. And tutorials that require more than one post are few and far between.

[quote=“Davidi2, post:15, topic:552427”][quote author=Bowser jr link=topic=671346.msg4489616#msg4489616 date=1436738911]
There is no reason you could raise it everywhere, and just mute/ban those who use it to spam.
[/quote]We should just give everyone mod and take it away from those that abuse it tbh[/quote]The severity of the two scenarios is what differs them. One being entirely unreasonable, and the other being completely rational. That argument is invalid.

[quote=“EcoPS GM, post:16, topic:552427”][quote author=Davidi2 link=topic=671346.msg4489620#msg4489620 date=1436741004]

[quote author=Bowser jr link=topic=671346.msg4489616#msg4489616 date=1436738911]
[/quote]We should just give everyone mod and take it away from those that abuse it tbh
[/quote]The severity of the two scenarios is what differs them. One being entirely unreasonable, and the other being completely rational. That argument is invalid.[/quote]I edited the post because I was being facetious, but the logic is the same. You have preventative measure vs reactive measure, thats what my point was. Im not even sure what the reasons are behind a limit outside of spamming, but if there are any then I don’t think raising it is going to solve any issues (unless it gets raised by a lot). Honestly just something that MITB probably needs to chime in on and say what the limit is for.

[quote=“Davidi2, post:17, topic:552427”][quote author=EcoPS GM link=topic=671346.msg4489621#msg4489621 date=1436741083]

[quote author=Davidi2 link=topic=671346.msg4489620#msg4489620 date=1436741004]

[quote author=Bowser jr link=topic=671346.msg4489616#msg4489616 date=1436738911]
[/quote]We should just give everyone mod and take it away from those that abuse it tbh
[/quote]The severity of the two scenarios is what differs them. One being entirely unreasonable, and the other being completely rational. That argument is invalid.
[/quote]I edited the post because I was being facetious, but the logic is the same. You have preventative measure vs reactive measure, thats what my point was. Im not even sure what the reasons are behind a limit outside of spamming, but if there are any then I don’t think raising it is going to solve any issues (unless it gets raised by a lot). Honestly just something that MITB probably needs to chime in on and say what the limit is for.[/quote]Honestly, I personally would like a 100,000 character limit. That may be a bit farfetched, though. Either way, I would like to see MITB give a valid explanation for such a puny character ceiling.

Make it so you can double post, and the problem is fixed.

[quote=“EcoPS GM, post:18, topic:552427”][quote author=Davidi2 link=topic=671346.msg4489623#msg4489623 date=1436741307]

[quote author=EcoPS GM link=topic=671346.msg4489621#msg4489621 date=1436741083]

[quote author=Davidi2 link=topic=671346.msg4489620#msg4489620 date=1436741004]

[/quote]The severity of the two scenarios is what differs them. One being entirely unreasonable, and the other being completely rational. That argument is invalid.
[/quote]I edited the post because I was being facetious, but the logic is the same. You have preventative measure vs reactive measure, thats what my point was. Im not even sure what the reasons are behind a limit outside of spamming, but if there are any then I don’t think raising it is going to solve any issues (unless it gets raised by a lot). Honestly just something that MITB probably needs to chime in on and say what the limit is for.
[/quote]Honestly, I personally would like a 100,000 character limit. That may be a bit farfetched, though. Either way, I would like to see MITB give a valid explanation for such a puny character ceiling.[/quote]20k is a pretty huge character ceiling for a bulletin board to be honest. The main problem is how verbose BBCode is.

[quote=“sini, post:19, topic:552427”]Make it so you can double post, and the problem is fixed.[/quote]Used to be able to. It was disabled because of how much it was abused.