[RESOLVED - DENIED]Crack Down on Poorly Created Advertisements

When it comes to RS2 server advertisements, all but a few threads are a complete eye sore or are completely barren. In my opinion this looks bad on our site as a whole. If people come to our forums to look for an RSPS to play and all they see is garbage, the odds of them coming back are probably going to be slim, and the odds of them joining the community is going to be even less. So I have a simple fix:

Set standards and enforce them.

Yes, John did a great job with his thread on outlining the do’s and don’ts on simple rules such as no multiple threads, server owners need to post the thread, etc. https://www.moparisthebest.com/smf/index.php/topic,640022.0.html HOWEVER, we never set standards for the actual advertisement. I believe we need to set a minimum requirement for the amount of media that can be posted. Videos should be allowed as a trailer, but any extra media showcasing the server should be put in spoiler tags to keep the size of the initial thread down. Any type of extensive list (maybe anything over 5?) should also be required to be put in spoiler tags, as it looks bad when you click on a thread and find 10 massive pictures, 3 videos, and a list of 50 things.

However, that is just what I think ideally should happen. I realize that my expectations for server advertisements may be over the top, which is why I would like as much feedback as possible. However, I do believe that we need to require some amount of media for our server advertisements, and failure to do so should result in a thread lock. It’s time we clean our forums up, and I believe this is just one step of the process.

I don’t like the idea of moderating the quality of server advertisements, it’s a lot more work for our staff and completely unnecessary. If a server posts a bad advertisement then they simply won’t get any players and the topic will fade. It’s a natural process that requires no intervention. I don’t think it reflects badly on the site at all it merely supports most peoples view that RSPS in general are pretty shoddy and low in quality.

Then hire more staff? I’d gladly sit there every day, locking worthless threads so that the ones worth existing are easier to find. We have like 400 pages of threads that could really be cleaned up. This natural process has just resulted in players having to shift through garbage, when they could much more easily go to a moderated site like Rune-server and find a nice clean section filled with servers worth joining. This whole standing back and letting nature take its course seems to be why people are complaining, and why our forums are used much less than others.

The ones that are worth reading are easy to find, the issue you’re calling out is easily the minority. There’s like 1 crappy thread on the front page of server advertisements. It’s a completely disproportionate solution to a minuscule “issue”. Topics are usually removed when they’re completely rubbish, so for example “join my server ip.no-ip.biz” but the implementation of quality moderation is something I don’t advocate here or for the SSP (which is an entirely different ball game, we’d need a lot of code changes to allow staff to moderate like that on there).

Not a lot of site policy involves letting nature take course, only the parts where it makes sense not to get involved, I’d invite you to name other policies that are causing a deplition in traffic that involve letting nature take course.

[quote=“Tom, post:4, topic:544992”]The ones that are worth reading are easy to find, the issue you’re calling out is easily the minority. There’s like 1 crappy thread on the front page of server advertisements. It’s a completely disproportionate solution to a minuscule “issue”. Topics are usually removed when they’re completely rubbish, so for example “join my server ip.no-ip.biz” but the implementation of quality moderation is something I don’t advocate here or for the SSP (which is an entirely different ball game, we’d need a lot of code changes to allow staff to moderate like that on there).

Not a lot of site policy involves letting nature take course, only the parts where it makes sense not to get involved, I’d invite you to name other policies that are causing a deplition in traffic that involve letting nature take course.[/quote]
Have you ever looked at the advertisements section? Its not 1 crappy thread, the reality is that you’ll find only 1 GOOD thread…

I just looked before I posted that? I went through every topic for 1 1/2 pages.

No offense, but then you seem to have really low standards.

If people don’t want to put effort into their advertisements then it’s their loss.They need to realise that in order for them to gain a decent amount of players, they need to put in the effort and create at least a semi-appealing advertisement.

Exactly :slight_smile:

i think the section does need a bit of cleaning up but this is a bit over the top

As I said, what I am suggestion is probably over the top. If you have a different idea I would love to hear it. I’m open to any idea that will make it look like a better section.