[RESOLVED - SOLUTION PROVIDED] Name change

My name is Manlyman.

I admit I used to want my name changed to RacoonHunter but I don’t get called racist nearly as much as I used to anymore. Also I’ve grown used to being called Coon.

I think name changes should be allowed but not automatically changed. I think maybe once per year, but we have to submit the request, not change it at will. Otherwise someone may steal someones name just because the other person changed it, etc.

[quote=“Vain_, post:2, topic:519066”]i dont see why names even matter on this community
you’re known for what you contribute and what you know; not what your name is

i think if a user asks for a name change, or brings up any topic regarding name changes then they should have their name changed to something stupid to piss them off[/quote]
Ignorance is NOT kindness…

I’ve actually privately asked a staff member for a name change, which I had no luck in getting a reply, and I actually supplied technical information to why I believe my name should be changed. My name is completely contradictory to what I do on this community, and it was chosen when I was a bit younger, so it wasn’t maturely selected when I created it. I’m sure there are several people that fall into the same category as I do.

I would rather be able to delete my account.

[quote=“Vain_, post:15, topic:519066”][quote author=Kidpaparoach link=topic=637527.msg4297057#msg4297057 date=1368397885]
Why 10k posts though? 10k posts is 30 ish posts per day for a year from 0, 15ish per day for 2 years and so on. 10k posts is excessive, personally if this was implemented I’d expect anyone above moparian to be eligible to use it as 1k posts generally means you are or have been active (assuming it wasn’t a paid feature).
[/quote]try 12.8k posts in a year

:D[/quote]

challange accepted

The rules say it, but a while ago an admin said to just create a new account if you wanted a name change.

If you keep the last known name in the profile, and limit changes to once every few months there should be very little abuse.

[quote=“casey., post:24, topic:519066”]I would rather be able to delete my account.[/quote]pity that doesn’t delete the database side eh? …I think this was a suggestion from somebody last time lol …xD

If this were to be implemented i believe that you should only be allowed one name change for rational reasons, as said before bullying or poorly decided names. A majority of forum users start when they’re children and lack the ability to understand what may happen in the future as it is a ‘here and now’ moment. There should be at least 3 reasons to why you’d want to change your name, and if the staff member accepts these reasons then the name change should occur. It should also be up to the member who changes their name if they wish to have the name change public or not, this could prevent certain actions after the name change (bullying).

However, the member requesting this should have been registered for at least a year and only be active on one account. As this shows that they’ve been around for a period of time, and are answerable to that account causing them to want a name change. If the user has multiple accounts, then it shows that the member doesn’t take their main account seriously and doesn’t care about posts, status or reputation. Name changes should not be made on bias terms, for example if you are friends with a staff member. As this would encourage poor decision making and disagreements amongst the community.

I’m not sure if i completely agree with this action, but there shouldn’t be a timer on it, members may take that for granted and change everytime it becomes available to them.

[quote=“amy_webb, post:28, topic:519066”]If this were to be implemented i believe that you should only be allowed one name change for rational reasons, as said before bullying or poorly decided names. A majority of forum users start when they’re children and lack the ability to understand what may happen in the future as it is a ‘here and now’ moment. There should be at least 3 reasons to why you’d want to change your name, and if the staff member accepts these reasons then the name change should occur. It should also be up to the member who changes their name if they wish to have the name change public or not, this could prevent certain actions after the name change (bullying).

However, the member requesting this should have been registered for at least a year and only be active on one account. As this shows that they’ve been around for a period of time, and are answerable to that account causing them to want a name change. If the user has multiple accounts, then it shows that the member doesn’t take their main account seriously and doesn’t care about posts, status or reputation. Name changes should not be made on bias terms, for example if you are friends with a staff member. As this would encourage poor decision making and disagreements amongst the community.

I’m not sure if i completely agree with this action, but there shouldn’t be a timer on it, members may take that for granted and change everytime it becomes available to them.[/quote]
Couldn’t have said it better myself.

There does seem to be a hand full of people who support this whilst the others don’t really care.

Sounds like your saying if the staff member can be bothered to do it they will?

Ability to deactivate accounts lol?

But yeah if we could get name changes put forward that would be awesome :slight_smile:

[quote=“Arcik, post:29, topic:519066”][quote author=Niall link=topic=637527.msg4297076#msg4297076 date=1368399709]
Name changes are technically allowed but it’s up to the discretion of whatever staff you ask.
[/quote]
Sounds like your saying if the staff member can be bothered to do it they will?[/quote]

I hope you realize that only an administrator can change members names, global moderators don’t have the power to. (at least not the Moparscape global moderators, unsure about moparisthebest moderators but I doubt it)

[quote=“Arcik, post:29, topic:519066”][quote author=Niall link=topic=637527.msg4297076#msg4297076 date=1368399709]
Name changes are technically allowed but it’s up to the discretion of whatever staff you ask.
[/quote]
Sounds like your saying if the staff member can be bothered to do it they will?[/quote]

Generally, changing of minor things (capitalisation, spelling, removing or changing numbers) has generally been permitted without a problem, but speaking as an ex-administrator I’ve had several people ask to be changed to a name that is already occupied with the account having made several posts, this is generally not permitted.

[quote=“Davidi2, post:3, topic:519066”]- Bullying

lol[/quote]Why is that funny? I’ve seen people request for name changes specifically to stop being targeted by cyber bullies.

For a few reasons

1. People that can’t handle online bullying have deeper issues they need to take care of rather than ‘changing their username’
  2. Having a ‘last known as’ after a name change doesn’t help you escape from anything
  3. Even if you didn’t have the last known as, people could still just look at your posts when they don’t recognize your new name and figure out who you are in about 10 seconds

[quote=“Davidi2, post:33, topic:519066”]For a few reasons

1. People that can’t handle online bullying have deeper issues they need to take care of rather than ‘changing their username’
  2. Having a ‘last known as’ after a name change doesn’t help you escape from anything
  3. Even if you didn’t have the last known as, people could still just look at your posts when they don’t recognize your new name and figure out who you are in about 10 seconds[/quote]Exactly why I believe we need the option of having a “delete all your posts/topics and database deletion” option. I support casey’s idea.

Isn’t that just making a new account…?

[quote=“Davidi2, post:33, topic:519066”]For a few reasons

3. Even if you didn’t have the last known as, people could still just look at your posts when they don’t recognize your new name and figure out who you are in about 10 seconds[/quote]

Then have “lastly known as” for admins then! The point of this wasn’t to escape from anything but have users acknowledge you with a different name but for me its like arcik sounds like ass fuck so when people often refer to me it’s pretty much “@ass fuck ur soo cool”. < that’s my crappy example but you should get the point! There are also many other reasons.

create a new account if your that hurt, post count shouldn’t matter.

Bully was an example you muppet!

[quote=“Arcik, post:38, topic:519066”][quote author=Dustin Jr link=topic=637527.msg4297487#msg4297487 date=1368471434]
create a new account if your that hurt, post count shouldn’t matter.
[/quote]

Bully was an example you muppet![/quote]
I want a name change your mean.

[quote=“thakillah, post:25, topic:519066”][quote author=Vain_ link=topic=637527.msg4297140#msg4297140 date=1368405313]

challange accepted[/quote]wasnt a challenge. more of whats already been accomplished

@bullying remark;
if you’re bullied over a simple screen name, the user shouldnt get his name changed but rather the bully gets infracted/muted/banned – because if people wanted a name change, they would just tell their friends to ‘bully’ them about it