SOPA Blackout

Uh, I visited and now I get it on every page, visiting again isn’t disabling it.

Also it doesn’t cover the whole page horizontally, just a black square in the middle.

[quote=“Mopman, post:21, topic:429280”]Uh, I visited and now I get it on every page, visiting again isn’t disabling it.

Also it doesn’t cover the whole page horizontally, just a black square in the middle.[/quote]

You should get it on every page until you click that link a second time. That’s exactly how it works for me.

[quote=“Moparisthebest, post:22, topic:429280”][quote author=Mopman link=topic=531970.msg3890086#msg3890086 date=1326766575]
Uh, I visited and now I get it on every page, visiting again isn’t disabling it.

Also it doesn’t cover the whole page horizontally, just a black square in the middle.
[/quote]That’s how it works for me as well.

You should get it on every page until you click that link a second time. That’s exactly how it works for me.[/quote]

I like how it’s going to take up to the actual blackout to get this thing working.

How about we just shut down the forum. :stuck_out_tongue:

This.

I mean, what harm would it actually cause. I mean, it’s not like people depend on this website during their daily lives. Okay, I wont deny there will be the odd sad person that will go insane without the website, but generally I think a day would be fine: we’ve had non-intentional blackouts that long anyway.

[quote=“Fat Cookies, post:25, topic:429280”][quote author=Taharok link=topic=531970.msg3890158#msg3890158 date=1326770853]
How about we just shut down the forum. :stuck_out_tongue:
[/quote]

This.

I mean, what harm would it actually cause. I mean, it’s not like people depend on this website during their daily lives. Okay, I wont deny there will be the odd sad person that will go insane without the website, but generally I think a day would be fine: we’ve had non-intentional blackouts that long anyway.[/quote]

That.

At the very least, keep the serverstatus page up so you don’t get massive riots (and just do this switch thing on it), but shutdown the forum.

[quote=“Fat Cookies, post:25, topic:429280”]Okay, I wont deny there will be the odd sad person that will go insane without the website[/quote]What is this supposed to mean :mad:

[quote=“Moparisthebest, post:5, topic:429280”]I went ahead and implemented it, and did like you said by putting the javascript on my server so no one can secretly change it. This is the code I wrote for it:

if(isset($_GET['blackout'])){ if(isset($_SESSION['blackout'])) unset($_SESSION['blackout']); else $_SESSION['blackout'] = 1; } if (date('mdY')=="01182012" || isset($_SESSION['blackout'])) echo '<script type="text/javascript" src="/smf/Themes/sopablackout.js"></script>';

As you can see, you can try it out now by visiting this URL, and then navigate around:

(visit it again to turn it off)

I don’t really like the way it is implemented though, it shows up on each and every page you visit, should it be left like this? Or only show up every X minutes, or just once? What do you guys think?

edit:
Just read the post on reddit, turns out it’s only running from 1300 to 0100 UTC on that day, so I’ve updated my code to reflect that:

if(isset($_GET['blackout'])){
	if(isset($_SESSION['blackout']))
		unset($_SESSION['blackout']);
	else
		$_SESSION['blackout'] = 1;
}
$time_now = time();
// date -u -d "@1326891600": Wed Jan 18 13:00:00 UTC 2012
// date -u -d "@1326934800": Thu Jan 19 01:00:00 UTC 2012
if (($time_now >= 1326891600 && $time_now <= 1326934800) || isset($_SESSION['blackout']))
	echo '<script type="text/javascript" src="/smf/Themes/sopablackout.js"></script>';

Much cleaner and more effective code than:

If I must say so myself. :expressionless:

To clarify, this will currently run on all 4 forums and the server status page.[/quote]
good man

I don’t see any problems with the script, it works, yes you can scroll down to get away from it but you can also click, I don’t see it as a big deal. It should start working automatically at the correct time, I’m going to leave it as-is.

Wikipedia has officially gone dark.

If we shut down the forums tomorrow what am i supposed to do while im stoned tomorrow night?

Aside from the joke I do support this.

Dear God at least I can still get on wikipedia. As much as I support what they are doing I needed to use it, you can still get on it if you press stop before it loads the sopa page

alternaively, http://revers.in/saviour.html

I feel you’re a bitch if you don’t do a full blackout

people at mscp are calling it bs rofl

Most sites didn’t do a full blackout. Only a few like theoatmeal and wikipedia. Though, 4chan celebrated too, among so many other websites. Mozilla might be joining tomorrow. What a fantastic day. :slight_smile:

The mobile wikipedia page is still accessible.

[quote=“sppt, post:37, topic:429280”]The mobile wikipedia page is still accessible.[/quote]< lawl_work> javascript:(function(){document.getElementById(‘mw-sopaOverlay’).style.display=‘none’;document.getElementById(‘content’).style.display=‘block’;document.getElementById(‘mw-panel’).style.display=‘block’;document.getElementById(‘mw-head’).style.display=‘block’;document.getElementById(‘mw-page-base’).style.display=‘block’;document.getElementById(‘footer’).style.display=‘block’;})();

cheaters

speaking of cheating, just disable javascript for mitb and ??? no blackout

hell it works for wikipedia too