SOPA Blackout

Hey. Many big sites are doing a blackout on the 18th and I was just thinking MITB should do the same. Shut down the site for the day and put links explaining more on SOPA. This community is big enough that it could have an impact.
Thoughts?

I giggled.

But that said, I don’t see the harm in supporting the cause.

I misunderstood it at first, the site wont be shutdown completely, but instead be blacked out until you click to continue

http://sopablackout.org/ more information

only thing I would do is upload the .js to my own host, I don’t trust anyone :\

Obviously it would receive the most traffic if it was placed on moparisthebest.com instead of here :stuck_out_tongue:

I wish people were doing a full blackout (I believe thats waht reddit and wikipedia etc are doing) and not this half hearted js shit

I went ahead and implemented it, and did like you said by putting the javascript on my server so no one can secretly change it. This is the code I wrote for it:

if(isset($_GET['blackout'])){ if(isset($_SESSION['blackout'])) unset($_SESSION['blackout']); else $_SESSION['blackout'] = 1; } if (date('mdY')=="01182012" || isset($_SESSION['blackout'])) echo '<script type="text/javascript" src="/smf/Themes/sopablackout.js"></script>';

As you can see, you can try it out now by visiting this URL, and then navigate around:

(visit it again to turn it off)

I don’t really like the way it is implemented though, it shows up on each and every page you visit, should it be left like this? Or only show up every X minutes, or just once? What do you guys think?

edit:
Just read the post on reddit, turns out it’s only running from 1300 to 0100 UTC on that day, so I’ve updated my code to reflect that:

if(isset($_GET['blackout'])){
	if(isset($_SESSION['blackout']))
		unset($_SESSION['blackout']);
	else
		$_SESSION['blackout'] = 1;
}
$time_now = time();
// date -u -d "@1326891600": Wed Jan 18 13:00:00 UTC 2012
// date -u -d "@1326934800": Thu Jan 19 01:00:00 UTC 2012
if (($time_now >= 1326891600 && $time_now <= 1326934800) || isset($_SESSION['blackout']))
	echo '<script type="text/javascript" src="/smf/Themes/sopablackout.js"></script>';

Much cleaner and more effective code than:

If I must say so myself. :expressionless:

To clarify, this will currently run on all 4 forums and the server status page.

Btw, on chrome for me, it’s showing the blackout banner on every page already, and I can just scroll past it.

[quote=“Mopman, post:2, topic:429280”]I giggled.

But that said, I don’t see the harm in supporting the cause.[/quote]
I don’t mean our efforts here would reach congress or anything, I meant more like if members here or at moparscape don’t know about it it would be a fast and easy way to get the message across to a decent number of people who use the boards.

time to fix this its now doing it every page load.

Using chrome, don’t see shit…

also it should be good to point out it does not completely black out pages http://i.imgur.com/F8lCh.png

Yea, that’s what I was referencing to if you scroll.

If google were to do something like this it would have a pretty big impact

EDIT: yeah its doing the blackout thing for me too the fuck? Guess its time to clear browser cache/cookies

would something like this work for the whole web-page? i.e. stop scrolling

var documentOverlay = { show: function() { var color = 'black'; // SET THE COLOR HERE (IT CAN BE A HEX COLOR e.g. #FF00FF) var opacity = 0.7; // SET AN OPACITY HERE - MUST BE BETWEEN 0 AND 1 var o = document.getElementById('doc_overlay'); if(!o) { var o = document.createElement('div'); o.id = "doc_overlay"; documentOverlay.style(o,{ position: 'absolute', top: 0, left: 0, width: '100%', height: documentOverlay.getDocHeight()+'px', background: color, zIndex: 1000, opacity: opacity, filter: 'alpha(opacity='+opacity*100+')' }); document.getElementsByTagName('body')[0].appendChild(o); } else { documentOverlay.style(o,{background:color||'#000',display:'block'}); } }, hide: function() { var o = document.getElementById('doc_overlay'); o.style.display = 'none'; }, style: function(obj,s) { for ( var i in s ) { obj.style[i] = s[i]; } }, getDocHeight: function() { var Y,YT; if( self.innerHeight ) {Y = self.innerHeight;} else if (document.documentElement && document.documentElement.clientHeight) {Y = document.documentElement.clientHeight;} if( document.body ) {YT = document.body.clientHeight;} if(YT>Y) {Y = YT;} return Y; } }

http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?571296-How-to-grey-out-the-web-page

We should just do a full blackout. Who cares if you can’t use a forum for a day. It’s more effective to completely shut it down with a link to more on SOPA and how to fight it rather than a pop-up.

that’s just too annoying.

Why? It’s one day, you’ll live. If SOPA passes I think you’ll find it to be more annoying than a day without a few sites.

[quote=“Holic, post:16, topic:429280”][quote author=Miss Silabsoft link=topic=531970.msg3888380#msg3888380 date=1326653167]
that’s just too annoying.
[/quote]
Why? It’s one day, you’ll live. If SOPA passes I think you’ll find it to be more annoying than a day without a few sites.[/quote]

not really i live everyday without access to many sites, I’ve grown to deal with it.

Then how is it annoying?

(its because shes an honorary chink)

@Everyone who says it’s working right now, did you click this link once but not twice?

[quote=“Moparisthebest, post:5, topic:429280”]As you can see, you can try it out now by visiting this URL, and then navigate around:

(visit it again to turn it off)[/quote]