The whole chat function thing

[quote=“Bowser jr, post:19, topic:518646”][quote author=Taharok link=topic=636911.msg4295430#msg4295430 date=1368130558]
A chatbox is even messier than standard IRC. IRC is a cheap and effective way to communicate in large group, small groups, or even just one on one. A chatbox is literally an open discussion room. IRC is meant to increase productivity and discussion, whereas a chatbox seems to encourage nothing but spam and likely conflict. I’m not saying a chatbox/shoutbox is a bad thing, I’m just stating what I foresee happening. I have little against implementing one, but I see almost no gain from it.
[/quote]
By messy I didn’t mean the client (mIRC and Opera IRC is quite good), but the overall chat jumps from one subject to another without any direction.

As I said, this wouldn’t be fixed with a chatbox, and I don’t think a chatbox would involve more people who aren’t already on #mopar.[/quote]

That’s actually what I was referring to, as well. :stuck_out_tongue: It’s disorganized discussion, which doesn’t promote any sort of positive development or feedback.

Just going to bring this topic back up instead of creating a new one, but has anyone had problems with IRC in the past where it won’t respond during loading? Recently, i’ve tried multiple times to join. It keeps saying i need the highest version of java, what is the point of that? I’ve the version just before the recent one and i cannot be bothered updating it, i don’t understand why it must constantly be the newer release. I’m just not sure if it is worth the hassle just to join a chat for a few minutes, does anyone else?

If you’re using PJIRC then don’t bother, the applet is literally the worst thing I’ve ever seen/used. You may as well just save yourself the hassle and use an alternate applet, or download a client. Try out hexchat, or quassel, they’re both pretty neat clients.

Doesn’t that seem like a lot of hassle for a a forum chat? It seems, just by that, that either adding a forum based chat system like IRC, or using a chat box would prove more helpful in the sense where it is easier for users to access it?

Well, I think Moparisthebest should just add an applet that works.

That too would be helpful, how long has the applet been broken for, exactly?

It’s not just the inconsistency of it working either, sure it works, but not a lot and comes riddled with issues but there is also the fact it looks horrendous . I remember a few years ago there was an SMF mod which implemented an IRCE into the forum, so it emulated what an IRC was except in a more friendly and accessible environment, it was fully dynamic using AJAX and read permissions using your SMF profile.

I’m not saying that should be implemented, because why try and emulate something we have, but the point is it posses characteristics that should work with this IRC. For example and most importantly, you launch the page and you connect there shouldn’t be this messing around and stuff not working. The IRC is already quite an abstract place for a lot of users, why make it even harder by throwing obstacles in the way just to connect. The other thing is, the theme, it looks dismal the mod I was referring too above was simplistic, and clean with easily colour customization whereas PJIRC looks so tacky, and outdated.

We have a blue forum, a black homepage, and an IRC applet that when works looks like something from the 1970s. Any person with an inability to read the URL bar would assume they were on a different site when they were on each page. This is something I’ll be bring up at any oncoming staff meetings.

I mean look at that :frowning:

I don’t remember how i got on the first time, but i remember having to do some strange things just to get there and a virus or something. They should follow the same theme, specifically because that looks horrible. :stuck_out_tongue:

amy_webb, if you plan on doing any sort of serious development, you should absolutely have some means of knowing IRC and prioritizing being able to connect to it. You’ll find that IRC is an extremely popular means of discussion on projects, especially massive open source projects.

It wouldn’t be a development that i would be interested in then. I am a modeler, all i need to do in a project is be told what they need and create it. This can be done via skype without any hassles and has worked fine in the past. I have never heard anything about needing IRC as a requirement, that is silly. If IRC was very important for such things, it should be easier to access. I’d rather not have to jump through hoops just to join a chat, that seems a bit far fetched.

IRC is quite easy to set up, so that aspect shouldn’t be a problem. So I guess the decision is to just replace the shitty java IRC client and don’t add a chatbox?

[quote=“amy_webb, post:30, topic:518646”][quote author=Taharok link=topic=636911.msg4301418#msg4301418 date=1369072279]
amy_webb, if you plan on doing any sort of serious development, you should absolutely have some means of knowing IRC and prioritizing being able to connect to it. You’ll find that IRC is an extremely popular means of discussion on projects, especially massive open source projects.
[/quote]
It wouldn’t be a development that i would be interested in then. I am a modeler, all i need to do in a project is be told what they need and create it. This can be done via skype without any hassles and has worked fine in the past. I have never heard anything about needing IRC as a requirement, that is silly. If IRC was very important for such things, it should be easier to access. I’d rather not have to jump through hoops just to join a chat, that seems a bit far fetched.[/quote]

It is really easy to access. :stuck_out_tongue: Just as easy or even easier than skype.