The whole chat function thing

To provoke some discussion, I wanted to bring this up: I know a lot (if not all) of the members here don’t use the IRC. I know the prospect of a chatbox for the forum has been brought up in the past but shot down by people proclaiming that everyone can use the IRC client with ease, so I’m sort of wondering why nobody here uses the IRC and whether you guys think providing some kind of chatbox would be a step in the right direction.

My current thoughts on the matter are that we should update the horrible client on the IRC CHAT tab, to a more sleek and updated one which would hopefully provide a nicer GUI, rather than that clunky blue applet that currently resides on the page. The other thing I wanted to bring up was the potential for an extra forum theme, this was brought up in a recent staff meeting and the consensus for such an addition was simple: If it has enough support, and isn’t anything silly then it can be added and maintained. What do you guys think about this prospect? And do you have any theme suggestions, right now there is only the one that Frell suggested that I could remember:

http://custom.simplemachines.org/themes/index.php?lemma=2600

There was also the greenfox theme from a while back, but I can’t remember the name explicitly. I want to have a set of clear and concise themes to present for a potential vote topic. The board has sort of gone into deadlock, and I’m primarily to blame because I haven’t really paid much time into it as of late, but as I said in the sticky you’re allowed to discuss pretty much anything here, within reason, and I’d be happy to hear your input.

The reason I don’t use the chatbox is part-of because it seems that those who do use the chatbox either know each other, and welcome those who they do know. It seems as-if a discussion between a “new person” was to happen would be like War World III and I simply do not have the patience to deal with all the older people (most of the people that use the IRC) complaining about how a new person uses the IRC and embarrass them, or harasses them. I know if we continue to use the chatbox they’ll eventually learn to cope with us but why do we have to be there long enough to be accepted. This community fails to realize that without acceptance we tend to shoo them off and it’s ridiculous. I understand that we have some “stupid” people that fail to follow the rules, don’t post in the wrong place and most of us are tired of seeing it by now but it’s still dumb and saddening that this community can’t accept new members thus leading to some-form of decrease in the use of the chatbox and perhaps the forums.

Also, I think it’s because most people aren’t familiar with the IRC client and it’s also not ACTUALLY apart of the forum. I see that the chatbox used on R-S is used a lot (and this could be due to lazyness and people not wanting to click more than they have to but we can’t change them) and no problems. The staff team moderate the chatbox and it’s done, simple.

This forum could use a new theme and I understand that if we come up with one that is decent, sort-of professional at least and can maintain then the staff team for the most part have no problem with it. I think part of the reason people do not suggest new themes is them being afraid of being shot-down on the suggestion (another reason of this community not accepting but won’t get into that on this subject matter) and forgets it.

This forum hasn’t had THAT many changes that would make it look so much better (new theme for example in this case). I believe if we ACTUALLY made this forum look better we’d have an increased rate of members, who knows? It doesn’t hurt to think of that opinion.

Anyway, the theme that you provided doesn’t look so bad and it’s definitely a change, I like it and I’ve seen it on others forums and it does look sleek, nice, and professional. I’ll look into finding some more and hope that it can at least not be shot-down…

I once used IRC and once i changed my display name to Amy, people started making unfriendly comments. Soul is right, the community members that use IRC aren’t accepting. Though it is probably because they are used to their current members, rather then the newer ones that log on.

I believe a chat box somewhere located on the forum, where everyone can see it, would increase the chance of members communicating better. This being said, there would also have to be rules in order for newer members to follow, as the older members may be irritated by those who come in an constantly ask silly questions. In a way IRC is good, because the more knowledgeable members use it but they need to accept the new members.

As for the new theme, i’m not sure it would be accepted by a majority of the community. Most people dislike change and will tell you that if it isn’t broken, don’t fix it. Personally, i think an updated theme may put the forum back where it should be because right not it looks outdated.

Even from the days before/when/now after I was a moderator, I rarely hopped on the IRC unless it was set at a specific time or needed some possible quick assistance. I always just used the client on the webpage and never have bothered to download another client. IRCs in general aren’t attractive to me, generally the chat sits there idle with periodic messages. I never found it necessary to be active in the chat to give assistance and it was just personal preference to not be on the IRC.

I’d support the use of a chatbox, as long as it matches theme and isn’t junk-driven. Any new theme to be set default will never work on this community. I’m pretty sure Moparisthebest isn’t even open to the idea. It would have to be another option from the profile page.

And that’s exactly what I don’t see a problem with. If we made this current theme to remain default, perhaps the “older ones” wouldn’t bitch so much about it (sadly they sometimes ruin us of change).

It doesn’t seems like anyone uses the alternative themes. If you want to add any new ones, you should make this a public discussion where anyone can give their suggestion. If something get enough support to make the effort worthwhile, you go ahead and add it.

The problem with IRC for me is that I don’t find it interesting. Those times I’ve been there, it seems quite messy. A chat-box wouldn’t fix this.

[quote=“Bowser jr, post:6, topic:518646”]It doesn’t seems like anyone uses the alternative themes. If you want to add any new ones, you should make this a public discussion where anyone can give their suggestion. If something get enough support to make the effort worthwhile, you go ahead and add it.

The problem with IRC for me is that I don’t find it interesting. Those times I’ve been there, it seems quite messy. A chat-box wouldn’t fix this.[/quote]
That’s because the other theme might as well be the same it’s just sleeker. I’d use an alternate theme if it was of my liking.

The IRC is messy, and just doesn’t look appealing whatsoever, and perhaps having a chatbox on the actual forum would encourage more chat throughout the forums to hopefully make more friends?

I don’t think IRC could appeal to anyone visually. A chatbox would be an effective move to have others interact without the use of PM and threads. I think the instant messaging would increase the use alone, as you’ll find you have to refresh pages before you know if someone has replied to your message. It just seems like a simple way to increase community interaction, but there are still problems with the idea.

Moderating any chatbox from advertisements and other forms of spam would most likely be a pain.

Then have more moderators, I’ve heard that excuse over-and-over from this community and tired of hearing it. This community doesn’t demote inactive moderators because it doesn’t hurt, and so we can promote more if we need to.

Having a chatbox on the forum directly is a bit better.

Moderators isn’t a problem, i believe we have plenty of acceptable community members that could hold a staff position. If you lose a moderator because they’re inactive, you should at least replace them with a new one. That way a chat can be monitored at all times, but never abused.

Maybe a rule could be implemented that only people with a certain amount of posts can type in the chat box? I mean, it would be a hassle for new people, but that would avoid people joining the forum to spam. The box should either be directly, or have it’s own little pop up box. This way members can either join the page and talk, or open it and brows why they talk.

[quote=“amy_webb, post:11, topic:518646”]Moderators isn’t a problem, i believe we have plenty of acceptable community members that could hold a staff position. If you lose a moderator because they’re inactive, you should at least replace them with a new one. That way a chat can be monitored at all times, but never abused.

Maybe a rule could be implemented that only people with a certain amount of posts can type in the chat box? I mean, it would be a hassle for new people, but that would avoid people joining the forum to spam. The box should either be directly, or have it’s own little pop up box. This way members can either join the page and talk, or open it and brows why they talk.[/quote]
I would implement a slightly different rule if spamming is an issue. If you’re Moparian/CM/Staff you get automatic access. However mods can grant you access before. We should NEVER implement something that encourage people to increase their post count for the post count alone.

But I fear this would be too much of a hassle, and it might lead to mods getting too many PMs.

[quote=“Bowser jr, post:12, topic:518646”]I would implement a slightly different rule if spamming is an issue. If you’re Moparian/CM/Staff you get automatic access. However mods can grant you access before. We should NEVER implement something that encourage people to increase their post count for the post count alone.

But I fear this would be too much of a hassle, and it might lead to mods getting too many PMs.[/quote]
Having moparian is a post-rank though so goes against your point of having for post count?

Edit: Nvm. I see what you mean now.

Well, I’m sure we could come up with something… I still prefer an on-forum chatbox no matter what. There are is hardly no activity on that IRC (from at least what I have logged into [bunch of AFK people or not on the page] which was at least a month ago because I hate it). Honestly, what’s the harm of at least testing the idea of having a chatbox.

Many people are narrowed-minded with suggestions posted and if we at least gave them a TRY - it could become a nice outcome perhaps, we never know.

[quote=“Soulcist, post:10, topic:518646”][quote author=Chassy13 link=topic=636911.msg4294713#msg4294713 date=1368018937]
Moderating any chatbox from advertisements and other forms of spam would most likely be a pain.
[/quote]
Then have more moderators, I’ve heard that excuse over-and-over from this community and tired of hearing it. This community doesn’t demote inactive moderators because it doesn’t hurt, and so we can promote more if we need to.

Having a chatbox on the forum directly is a bit better.[/quote]

Let me tell you from past experience that having a lot of moderators does not always change that factor. This forum receives many hits per day. Our Server Status page is one of the most popular out there, if not the most popular. People will go to great lengths to advertise because most private servers now are in search of financial gain rather than player entertainment. Every moderator starts out at an A+ level, but will gradually fall into a slower stance over time. Before my resignation, I was dealing with 20+ reports by myself every couple hours, even though there were numerous other moderators. When we’re also talking about a chatbox, those moderators need to be watching the chatbox.

Adding more moderators for chat-box ONLY has potential, I’m just posting a scenario where it’d be a problem. I am completely against making any post counter requirement as well. People will try to avoid being detected as spamming by posting quick, unhelpful responses in sections such as Server Help. Generally these responses go unnoticed because reports are never filed.

A chatbox is even messier than standard IRC. IRC is a cheap and effective way to communicate in large group, small groups, or even just one on one. A chatbox is literally an open discussion room. IRC is meant to increase productivity and discussion, whereas a chatbox seems to encourage nothing but spam and likely conflict. I’m not saying a chatbox/shoutbox is a bad thing, I’m just stating what I foresee happening. I have little against implementing one, but I see almost no gain from it.

And the IRC has little to sometimes no activity (bunch of AFK people from what I’ve seen the times I’ve been on there). The chatbox would at least increase activity on the forums (chat with a lot of other people whether they’re new or not) while not man people notice the IRC.

[quote=“Soulcist, post:16, topic:518646”][quote author=Taharok link=topic=636911.msg4295430#msg4295430 date=1368130558]
A chatbox is even messier than standard IRC. IRC is a cheap and effective way to communicate in large group, small groups, or even just one on one. A chatbox is literally an open discussion room. IRC is meant to increase productivity and discussion, whereas a chatbox seems to encourage nothing but spam and likely conflict. I’m not saying a chatbox/shoutbox is a bad thing, I’m just stating what I foresee happening. I have little against implementing one, but I see almost no gain from it.
[/quote]
And the IRC has little to sometimes no activity (bunch of AFK people from what I’ve seen the times I’ve been on there). The chatbox would at least increase activity on the forums (chat with a lot of other people whether they’re new or not) while not man people notice the IRC.[/quote]

I’m not advocating people use the IRC in any way. It’s not for everyone. Beyond that, I see no reasons why a shoutbox would actually ‘increase’ activity on the forum. It may increase communication with the existing members, but like I said above, I don’t see how this communication will be positive or beneficial to the forum in any way.

[quote=“Taharok, post:17, topic:518646”][quote author=Soulcist link=topic=636911.msg4295607#msg4295607 date=1368154779]

And the IRC has little to sometimes no activity (bunch of AFK people from what I’ve seen the times I’ve been on there). The chatbox would at least increase activity on the forums (chat with a lot of other people whether they’re new or not) while not man people notice the IRC.
[/quote]

I’m not advocating people use the IRC in any way. It’s not for everyone. Beyond that, I see no reasons why a shoutbox would actually ‘increase’ activity on the forum. It may increase communication with the existing members, but like I said above, I don’t see how this communication will be positive or beneficial to the forum in any way.[/quote]
It sometimes seems like this community has a lot have negative appeals towards others sometimes. Perhaps if people would actually have a chance to communicate without the forums - they’ll be able to have more friendships? I mean sure this is a big leap but c’mon… at this point we need to do something. There is so much hate sometimes in this community.

The only thing I would worry about is new-people, or current people asking about a lot of help in the chatbox and “spamming” it with those sorts of questions.

By messy I didn’t mean the client (mIRC and Opera IRC is quite good), but the overall chat jumps from one subject to another without any direction.

As I said, this wouldn’t be fixed with a chatbox, and I don’t think a chatbox would involve more people who aren’t already on #mopar.

I don’t see how… if the chatbox is above all the section under the navigational bar or something how would it not? That’s the first thing people would see?