[YesAndGames] Adventure Guild! (Social Mobile RPG)

[center]

Adventure Guild: the social, mobile RPG. Create Adventurers and team up for tactical, turn-based combat you can play anywhere, anytime.

This is a game that I’ve had the pleasure of working on with some of my friends from RIT. It uses the same server engine software that I developed for WorldScape and RuneRebels. We are currently nearing the end of our Kickstarter campaign, and I would really appreciate it if you guys would check it out and help spread the word about it! I would also really appreciate feedback on the game in this thread. Thanks!

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySlAPkteu5k[/youtube]

[hr]
[size=18pt]
Links
Kickstarter Campaign!

Website Facebook Twitter YouTube
[/size]

[hr]

What’s Adventure Guild?

Adventure Guild is the social, mobile RPG you’ve been waiting for! It’s a tactical-turn-based-rogue-like-cooperative-dungeon-crawler-MMORPG that you can play on your phone or tablet wherever you want, whenever you want, and as much as you want. Create a party of Adventurers and team up with your friends to explore the deepest darkest dungeons in the world and bring home the loot.

First Three Minutes of Co-Op Gameplay
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4f65MKjdW64[/youtube]

Just to demonstrate how far the game has come, here is a before and after picture from development:

We’ve also had booths at local events in Rochester where we have had people playtest the game:
Rochester Mini Maker Faire

RIT MAGIC Center

Please check our the Kickstarter campaign!

Let me know what you guys think, I really appreciate your feedback!
[/center]

Its not really a game I would play but in the video I found the multi enemy agro animations to be too time consuming. I understand the way the game is designed they can’t all move at once but the process should be sped up if more than 1 enemy is agro’d.

Oh god.

What currently sets this game apart? Good storytelling? Simple game play? In a market why would people spend their time playing this game versus candy crush and other applications? I think those are my questions when looking at what’s being presented.

Also I am so confused as to how you have so much money given to the Kickstarter but you have literally 1 subscriber and your videos have 15 views.

We could speed that up, we want to increase the pace of the gameplay a bit. However, the idea is that you only play the game for a few minutes at a time; when you are on the bus, in between classes, bored in class, and so on. But I do agree that it is irritating to watch all of the enemies notice you!

Oh god.

What currently sets this game apart? Good storytelling? Simple game play? In a market why would people spend their time playing this game versus candy crush and other applications? I think those are my questions when looking at what’s being presented.

Also I am so confused as to how you have so much money given to the Kickstarter but you have literally 1 subscriber and your videos have 15 views.
[/quote]
The engine is working well so far! But the main thing that sets the game apart is that you don’t have to play it for long periods of time. You can have multiple adventure going with your friends, and you’ll get a push notification when you have to make moves. After you make your moves, you slip your phone back into your pocket or go back to doing something else on your tablet; you don’t have to sit on your desktop for 3 hours at a time. :slight_smile:

We have been heavily promoting the Kickstarter campaign on Facebook and Twitter, and also having the MAGIC center at RIT promote the game through social media. We were given a $10,000 grant from the program to work on the game over the summer, so they have been doing a great job of increasing awareness about the campaign for us. We haven’t been promoting our YouTube channel as much though!

That appeal seems pretty niche. The amount a player is engaged seems like it’ll be close to a minimum if there is a lot of time between sessions. Most of the successful mobile games have a small level length (Angry Birds, Candy Crush). Do you think there will be enough of a market to actually profit? Are you looking to micro transactions?

[quote=“sini, post:5, topic:554210”]That appeal seems pretty niche. The amount a player is engaged seems like it’ll be close to a minimum if there is a lot of time between sessions. Most of the successful mobile games have a small level length (Angry Birds, Candy Crush). Do you think there will be enough of a market to actually profit? Are you looking to micro transactions?[/quote]I could see small micro-transactions that could work in this game, that some people are dumb enough to purchase… no offense though.

MMORPG
0/10 would not play.

[quote=“sini, post:5, topic:554210”]That appeal seems pretty niche. The amount a player is engaged seems like it’ll be close to a minimum if there is a lot of time between sessions. Most of the successful mobile games have a small level length (Angry Birds, Candy Crush). Do you think there will be enough of a market to actually profit? Are you looking to micro transactions?[/quote]There are plenty of games that are solely based on real world time waiting between your play sessions; in fact they make a ton of money because some people will then pay through the nose to speed up that time. Not sure this game has the appeal though, taking one turn and then waiting for a while isn’t the same concept really

Like you said I think you could classify those differently but I agree. Farmville, most facebook games are like that

We don’t try and limit the amount of time the player plays the game for, they can have multiple adventures going at the same time or do a solo adventure if they want to sit down and have a longer play session. We are looking to do microtransations though, you should watch the video on Kickstarter and read the full campaign, I didn’t want to just copy and paste the entire thing here. :eek:

People do seem to actually use micro transactions, I know that a lot of my friends (and even adults I know!) pay for cosmetic upgrades, new characters, power-ups, and so on in mobile games. I think its important to note that our micro transactions are purely cosmetic, so the game isn’t pay to win. :wink:

You guys should check out the video and full description on Kickstarter and let me know what you think!

What’s up the with graphics? not trying to offend you , but they do not look very appealing… The characters are fine but the UI doesn’t look too good.

My thoughts.
I’m already not a fan of this kind of graphics but putting that aside I had expected more seeing the “professional approach” that’s taken here.
Imo the controls/buttons looked better in the before than in the after picture as well.
However gl, looks like it has the potential to become something

But you can answer questions here! :slight_smile: No need to watch the video but besides that’s all the ones I had.

No offense taken! I wasn’t responsible for the graphics or the UI look, we have artists on the team who make the assets for the game. We won’t be able to please everyone with them, but we got more positive responses to the UI changes then negative ones. The size of the UI elements is due to the game running on a touchscreen phone where you need to have large touchable areas, but the look and feel of the UI elements can be changed at a later point if the majority of the feedback that we get is negative.

[quote=“RandQm, post:12, topic:554210”]My thoughts.
I’m already not a fan of this kind of graphics but putting that aside I had expected more seeing the “professional approach” that’s taken here.
Imo the controls/buttons looked better in the before than in the after picture as well.
However gl, looks like it has the potential to become something[/quote]

We mainly want to continue adding more game functionality (more items, skills, levels, maps, etc) instead of changing out all of the buttons over and over again. But I appreciate the feedback, as the UI is very important to the game! I’m the networking and main server guy for the game, so my job is to make sure that works smoothly.

But thanks! Even if our Kickstarter doesn’t get funded this is something that we plan on continuing to work on and hopefully launch for iOS, Android, and Windows Phone next year. :cool:

That is true; let me know if you have any more!

I personally don’t see anything wrong with the graphics it has the casual gamer feel which is exactly the market they are targeting.

Looks pretty awesome. Though, I’m not too sure I’d be interested in a mobile MMORPG-like game. It seems to me like you’re trying to target a pretty niche segment of the market. But with that being said, it does look kind of appealing otherwise. Best of luck with your project, man!

Thanks for the feedback! I believe we are trying to go after the same casual market for games such as Clash of Clans, but I’m not the business side of the tea. :stuck_out_tongue: Thanks for the support though!

I’m also happy to announce that the project was successfully funded! So the game will be hitting the app store in a few months! :smiley: