Modded Minecraft

As most of you know, last year we hosted a modded minecraft server called Feed the Beast. The season we had was a resounding success with quite a reasonable amount of very active players enjoying the aspects of the modified gameplay. Unfortunately due to the modpack we used at the time, alot of factors caused by the mods contributed to a large amount of lag. This lag eventually put a strain on mitb’s server and consequently the server had to be closed.

Recently the Moparcraft staff team have been considering opening up another modded server. Myself and Kickingjamie have been scrupulously exploring the current options regarding modpacks by focusing on gameplay, amount of server resources required, player safety and generally the longevity of the game so endgame materials are not immediately available.

Through this one modpack has arisen. The Feed the Beast subreddit have come together and constructed a modpack with an extensive quantity of mods allowing for each person’s play style to be as enjoyable as possible. This modpack is called TestPackPleaseIgnore.

While we have considered other modded servers, such as Tekkit and Pixelmon, these types of packs unfortunately do not have the content we would like to provide. We are searching for a pack that has a large amount of content and allows for a longer and more enjoyable experience. While they are not completely out of the picture yet, we are quite focused on the idea of another Feed the Beast season.

The purpose of this thread is to get feedback from all of you. We want everyone who is interested to be able to have their say in the future of this server and don’t want to go ahead and shove something down your throat that you might not enjoy. As it stands zuppers has offered to host the server and will continue to do so until members no longer wish to play.

Here are some resources you can use to explore the current modpacks available and look at more information on TestPackPleaseIgnore:

FTB website: http://www.feed-the-beast.com/
Modpacks: http://www.feed-the-beast.com/mod-packs
TPPI modlist: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AoDq0dQBZJODdGR0aENSUEp4a0FRLVhnRGNoX2lRMGc#gid=0
TPPI subreddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/TestPackPleaseIgnore/
Pack code for TPPI: MegaSharkPunch

I enjoy TPPI, but it is going to be brutal on a server

<3 The thought of another season of this being possible :slight_smile:

I’ll look through some of those links later when I get home, for now, I’m running late and have to go to work.

I would still enjoy pixelmon the most.

Would love to hear some updates on this.

any updates?

I’m game for this.
#makeithappen

I want it to happen too. Why do you post this then just disappear for a month >.>

A lot of the packs are pretty heavy on computer resources, so with that said I get around 1fps on the packs we’ve tried so far - obviously that’s an unplayable frame rate. That’s 1fps on lowest settings.

How about the rest of you? Are you able to run the packs in single player with decent fps?

Well over 100FPS on TPPI in a mid-game base

TPPI is about to go public with a full release. Hopefully we should be able to give you all some updates on the server in the next couple of days.

Rocking 200 FPS on high settings.

We need to get together and buy Jamie a new computer.

i get like 30 fps with optifine installed and with most modpacks you can install it on your own

I probably won’t be getting the equipment I wanted any time soon, so I won’t be able to host.

We’re moving to a new server soon so I’ll speak to Moparisthebest to see if we can overcome prior technical limitations which forced us to reconsider the amount of servers we could operate. I’m in the process of rewriting the management script (which handles backups and what not) and just making it into one modular script that uses more efficient means of storage (such as rdiff) as opposed to the current mess that’s spread across lots of mini scripts. I’ve just finished pruning a lot of unnecessary backups (300gb in total, heh) so we should be moving shortly.

There are (as usual) plans to direct traffic over here from outside the community but if they become more attainable I’ll post about them.

I <3 you Tom, keep up the good work :slight_smile:

woot.

I’ve spoken about this to Moparisthebest and we’ve come to the conclusion that we’re going to put the modded server on one big ram disk, we have a large amount of ram to play with and a sufficiently powerful CPU. The main issue is disk I/O so we’re going to take advantage of the abundance of ram and put it on a ram disk. This will require a rewrite in the script though as to sync the ram disk with the actual drive, and mount it on restarts and what not. Hopefully it won’t take too long though and you’ll all be updated if any progress is made.

I’ve installed optifine and I get around 50fps on moderate settings, I’ll be able to play after all it seems :smiley: