Multiple thread owners - Golden idea

Personally I think this idea is amazing, and it just came to mind. If you don’t feel the same way that’s fine, leave constructive criticism and we’ll see what everyone thinks. Anyways enough of the intro, now to the idea:

So how about an option while creating a new thread that allows the creator of the thread give multiple ‘edit’ permissions to several people. It’s like 3:18 am so if that babbling didn’t make any sense to you, let me just say it in example form.

Let’s say (real scenario) me and Ares_ are developing a server and we post a thread in the server development thread. Ares is offline for a day and I may wanna add a poll/edit some things on the main thread. Well I can’t do that until he gets back, which is frustrating to me, because it’s really important. This can all be made possible if he grants me ‘edit’ permissions in the thread. Now whether SMF limits this to being possible or not, I think it’s worth a shot. I’m just gonna leave a nice little poll on top for you users to vote on.

Would be cool, but I doubt it would ever happen. Why not just make a post directly after his before anyone else posts and use that.

Pointless

I see where your going with that travas, but what if i wanted to say… make a poll? Thats one of my main points just for example.

I like this idea, and I am almost certain it’s “possible” to do.

Sounds like an excellent idea, you may say: Why not just post after and reserve space? Well what if you join the project after the development has started.

you’re a dumbass…

OP clearly states why this isn’t pointless in his thread. just cause you may not use it doesn’t mean its useless.

i like this idea

To be completely honest I think this idea was thought of before. I don’t know why it never took off, though.

Except when it’s abused and increased mod work by 900000 percent.

What’s wrong with doing what every other server these days does and have that “reserved” post for every member of the dev team before any member input on the thread? If they join after the thread has been made and there’s a few posts, ask a mod to remove them so it tidies up the thread. Other than that then just tough luck in my opinion. I can see the plus side to this but I can also see an incredibly negative side to it.

[quote=“Ruby, post:9, topic:525313”]Except when it’s abused and increased mod work by 900000 percent.

What’s wrong with doing what every other server these days does and have that “reserved” post for every member of the dev team before any member input on the thread? If they join after the thread has been made and there’s a few posts, ask a mod to remove them so it tidies up the thread. Other than that then just tough luck in my opinion. I can see the plus side to this but I can also see an incredibly negative side to it.[/quote]mods can see whether a user edits/deletes a post. so how does this increase the mod work?

whether the op edited the post, or one of the developers did. mods will be able to tell who did it. as for the ‘mod work’ it doesnt matter who makes the post/topic, if it breaks a rule - it will be reported. so regardless of the poster, the workload will be the same.

[quote=“Ruby, post:9, topic:525313”]Except when it’s abused and increased mod work by 900000 percent.

What’s wrong with doing what every other server these days does and have that “reserved” post for every member of the dev team before any member input on the thread? If they join after the thread has been made and there’s a few posts, ask a mod to remove them so it tidies up the thread. Other than that then just tough luck in my opinion. I can see the plus side to this but I can also see an incredibly negative side to it.[/quote]you know how on open source wiki’s you can “restore” a certain backup history? Why couldn’t it be like that? If somebody abuses/whatever a moderator with the power could just “restore” an old version.

[quote=“Java-RSPS-Noob, post:11, topic:525313”][quote author=Ruby link=topic=644055.msg4334626#msg4334626 date=1374161156]

What’s wrong with doing what every other server these days does and have that “reserved” post for every member of the dev team before any member input on the thread? If they join after the thread has been made and there’s a few posts, ask a mod to remove them so it tidies up the thread. Other than that then just tough luck in my opinion. I can see the plus side to this but I can also see an incredibly negative side to it.
[/quote]you know how on open source wiki’s you can “restore” a certain backup history? Why couldn’t it be like that? If somebody abuses/whatever a moderator with the power could just “restore” an old version.[/quote]

I would love to see you provide the code for it

Everyone here knows I am not a web developer pfft!

I was just stating it’s possible, and providing a means to " prevent" what Ruby was stating would happen.

SMF the new versioning software!

I like the idea, but using the old way of reserving posts has always worked out well. Most people don’t even hit the limit with the first post yet alone with multiple posts reserved for space.

[quote=“Jmood, post:14, topic:525313”]SMF the new versioning software!

I like the idea, but using the old way of reserving posts has always worked out well. Most people don’t even hit the limit with the first post yet alone with multiple posts reserved for space.[/quote]

yes but development teams change

[quote=“Vain_, post:10, topic:525313”][quote author=Ruby link=topic=644055.msg4334626#msg4334626 date=1374161156]

[/quote]mods can see whether a user edits/deletes a post. so how does this increase the mod work?

whether the op edited the post, or one of the developers did. mods will be able to tell who did it. as for the ‘mod work’ it doesnt matter who makes the post/topic, if it breaks a rule - it will be reported. so regardless of the poster, the workload will be the same.[/quote]It doesn’t increase mod work. Ruby was just saying that because he thinks since there are more users involved, there are more people to moderate. However, what he doesn’t realize is it decreases mod work because instead of x amount of posts to moderate, there is only one. Managing what member did what is the topic creators’ responsibility and it can easily be kept track of by the “Last edited by” message at the bottom of the post.

Or create an external blog and give the developers access there. I don’t think this idea is feasible in any forum let alone the beast we have here.

Doable, and I wouldn’t mind doing it, but I’m curious when Mopar will be on Github.

SMF doesn’t support it by default. It would need to be an additional modification.

[quote=“Taharok, post:19, topic:525313”]SMF doesn’t support it by default. It would need to be an additional modification.[/quote]And why is that a bad thing? Isn’t this what the suggestions is for? I realize that it would be a while before anything like this would happen due to this reason, but it’s not a bad thing to wait.