Partition Web Developer Badge

I think having the web developer badge makes things a bit complicated now…

How I see it and based on who has it or got it in the past, those proficient with PHP, HTML, and CSS got this award but now with so many different frameworks being used in web development it just no longer makes sense to have an umbrella badge which might imply one is proficient in every popular framework these days.

So, I think web developer should be split up separately into JS, PHP, and a web designer rank to help be more specific (considering Python and now Ruby badges exist). Thoughts?

Badges are supposed to not only distinguish and honor those with sufficient knowledge in those fields, but also as a marker in the community should someone have questions or need to hire someone with that knowledge. If it’s in the best interest of the community then why not? I’d suggest coming up with sprites now though so we don’t have a full blown sprite war like we have with Ruby. Not to say that Sini didn’t do that and look where we are now lol.

Ruby badge doesn’t exist, Davidi2 thinks that there aren’t enough active members to give it out. I don’t know if I entirely agree but. I think splitting the badges apart would be wise. JS/Design/PHP/Ruby/Python badges could fall under that umbrella now.

This has been in discussion since before I got my badge like 2 years ago or some shit, it’s just never happened. It would be split into Web Designer and Developer, I doubt they’d go as in depth with it as to HTML5, CSS3, JS and all that but could definitely be doing with a split in them.

So far 4 supports. That’s like half our community right? :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t understand his argument because this is a programming community and adding the badge wouldn’t take much work anyway.

I think splitting it into Designer and Developer is still too broad because Developer still carries the same problem with what I mentioned in the OP. JavaScript is now also in the server and has totally exploded while Ruby and Python now encompasses more web development work than PHP, so the badge is heavily outdated. Atleast we can now be language-specific and “web designer” still captures knowledge of HTML and CSS work in the more traditional sense that they work with the front-end aesthetics.

Since the new HTML5 spec has a ton of new JS APIs I think it would make sense just to include them in the JS badge. CSS3 and HTML 4.1 and earlier don’t really merit a badge imo.

Yeah that’s my thought on the subject too.

IMO if we want to do this we need to just create a metric shit ton of badges and lower the expectancy for them. Remove things like ‘guru’ from the names (developer can stay, scripter, coder, etc)

Veteran badge (X years with at least X posts)
Ruby Scripter
PHP Developer
CSS Designer
Web Developer (can be considered to encompass the rest of the web related ones? idk)

just some ideas

[quote=“Davidi2, post:8, topic:545116”]IMO if we want to do this we need to just create a metric shit ton of badges and lower the expectancy for them. Remove things like ‘guru’ from the names (developer can stay, scripter, coder, etc)

Ruby Scripter
PHP Developer
CSS Designer
Web Developer (can be considered to encompass the rest of the web related ones? idk)

just some ideas[/quote]CSS shouldn’t be separate. I’d go with ruby’s suggestion of designer and developer.

[quote=“Davidi2, post:8, topic:545116”]IMO if we want to do this we need to just create a metric shit ton of badges and lower the expectancy for them. Remove things like ‘guru’ from the names (developer can stay, scripter, coder, etc)

Ruby Scripter
PHP Developer
CSS Designer

just some ideas[/quote]

My suggestion for splitting the web dev badge up:
PHP Developer
JavaScript Developer - JS on the server and in the browser + new HTML5 APIs.
Web Designer - designing templates using HTML and CSS.
Ruby Scripter/Developer/whateverthefuck

god i hate these badges

Ruby Scripter
PHP Developer
CSS Designer

just some ideas[/quote]You act like the term ‘guru’ actually carries weight in this community

I think PHP should be a badge on its own.
JavaScript should be a badge (consider node, coffeescript etc).

A badge for HTML/CSS (however then you have to think about LESS, SCSS, YAML etc.). Maybe call it best web designing badge.

You can’t award a backend badge because somebody knows how to use a framework like rails.

Web developer falls into many caragories.

[quote=“Justin Bieber, post:12, topic:545116”][quote author=Davidi2 link=topic=663998.msg4438225#msg4438225 date=1405739970]
IMO if we want to do this we need to just create a metric shit ton of badges and lower the expectancy for them. Remove things like ‘guru’ from the names (developer can stay, scripter, coder, etc)

Ruby Scripter
PHP Developer
CSS Designer

just some ideas
[/quote]You act like the term ‘guru’ actually carries weight in this community[/quote]No, I act like the badges should be consistent

Ruby Scripter
PHP Developer
CSS Designer

just some ideas[/quote]we need this badge

OT
Then it would just become way too many badges dedicated to one area, if theres a way at MOST I’d split it into 2 different badges tops

[quote=“drubrkletern, post:15, topic:545116”][quote author=Davidi2 link=topic=663998.msg4438225#msg4438225 date=1405739970]

Ruby Scripter
PHP Developer
CSS Designer

just some ideas
[/quote]we need this badge

OT
Then it would just become way too many badges dedicated to one area, if theres a way at MOST I’d split it into 2 different badges tops[/quote]
^^^^^^^^

For once I kinda agree with David. Making the badges easier to award by removing key words like guru from them is an incentive for people to learn the language and be recognised as a knowledgeable person in that field, I like it. I’d remedy the list to:
Veteran Badge - Anyone with access to the vet boards
PHP Developer - Anyone who’s proved their knowledge in PHP, releases -> tutorials etc
Web Designer - Anyone who’s proved their worth in web design with releases and tutorials, instead of just CSS designer
Ruby Scripter - Releases like Sinisouls grand exchange, proves the knowledge of the language.
JavaScript Scripter - Anyone who proves their worth in JS, could be through cfs, node, express or just plain old JS.

No need for a “web developer” award any longer since we have a python award already. The above pretty much cover all areas of web development without going too deep into it, you would need to make them a lot less exclusive, though. I mean there’s only like two of us relatively active that have it.

hahahaha no

[quote=“Ruby, post:17, topic:545116”]For once I kinda agree with David. Making the badges easier to award by removing key words like guru from them is an incentive for people to learn the language and be recognised as a knowledgeable person in that field, I like it. I’d remedy the list to:
Veteran Badge - Anyone with access to the vet boards
PHP Developer - Anyone who’s proved their knowledge in PHP, releases -> tutorials etc
Web Designer - Anyone who’s proved their worth in web design with releases and tutorials, instead of just CSS designer
Ruby Scripter - Releases like Sinisouls grand exchange, proves the knowledge of the language.
JavaScript Scripter - Anyone who proves their worth in JS, could be through cfs, node, express or just plain old JS.

No need for a “web developer” award any longer since we have a python award already. The above pretty much cover all areas of web development without going too deep into it, you would need to make them a lot less exclusive, though. I mean there’s only like two of us relatively active that have it.[/quote]

rep++
JavaScript Scripter sounds too awkward imo cause “script” is said twice lol. Maybe JavaScript Developer would sound nicer.

coffeescript can have a separate badge and use slowpoke as the icon