Please keep your account safe!

I don’t usually see the need in posting stuff like this but as of late there’s been an abnormal increase in the amount of people coming to me over the IRC and asking for their accounts to be recovered because they’ve lost access to their email and forgotten their secret answer. We provide these recovery options because they’re sure fire ways of confirming you’re the account owner (usually), if you’re coming to me and telling me how much you need your account back then that isn’t proof you own said account.

Please make my life easier and just keep your email secure and don’t forget your secret answer. I’ve had people who’ve accidentally posted their password on the forum, on the SSP, or brothers who keep “hacking” each other. I’m happy to help discuss getting access to your account but a lot of the time there simply isn’t sufficient proof for me to intervene. I personally store all my sensitive online information in an encrypted container that requires not only a password but an RSA key to gain access too. That paired with plugins that can integrate with your browser (like keepass with keefox etc) mean you can have lengthy pseudorandom passwords that are held securely. There are no epic moparscape pro hackers, you lose your account because you neglect maintaining simple security. Simple as. If a family member is stealing your account then lock your computer, please just employ some common sense, I don’t want to have a policy where I’ll simply refuse to help anyone get their account back but this is getting a tad ridiculous now.

You’re the best, Tommy

The recovery options provided aren’t that great to be honest, I happened to figure out the hard way that if someone manages to get your password, you’re pretty much screwed, because if they’re going to the trouble of getting your password they can and most likely will change your secret question (only requires your current password as confirmation) and change your e-mail (requires verification on the NEW e-mail address). Now, In my opinion these recovery options would work a lot better if they both required confirmation on the CURRENT e-mail address, this would require the person changing the recovery options to know the e-mail address’ password.
Nonetheless,
Thanks for all your help. :smiley:

I’m not aware of any settings I can alter to change that otherwise I would, if anyone is aware of any modifications I can push to the repo to change this then feel free to bring it up. For now I’d say the OP still stands, if you’ve forgotten your password then the functionality is effective but if your password has been stolen then the advice regarding keeping your passwords lengthy and safe is more appropriate. Though there is always the chance they won’t change the secret answer, in your case they didn’t, just the email. So by all means keep using those options either way except don’t forget the secret answer. :stuck_out_tongue:

No thanks, I want everyone to have access to my account.

Password: Tomisgayvoteyes

I wouldn’t help you anyway, filthy rebel nationalist. You’re going to be ruled from London forever.

Thanks for posting :slight_smile:

[quote=“Tom, post:6, topic:546768”]I wouldn’t help you anyway, filthy rebel nationalist. You’re going to be ruled from London forever.

Thanks for posting :)[/quote]u wanna fite m8? fkin tory poshboy slummin’ it in westminster

If we end up with an idiotic fucking no vote i swer down il kill toom

We should have our own version of JAG

ur world is my world, and ur fight… is my fight !!! and ur breath, is my breath… and ur heart, cause girl ur my one love, my one heart

k thanks for notifyin us thoams tank engine :)!

[quote=“Ruby, post:8, topic:546768”]If we end up with an idiotic fudgeing no vote i swer down il kill toom[/quote]12 HOURS UNTIL FREEDOM PAL

[quote=“Justin Bieber, post:11, topic:546768”][quote author=Ruby link=topic=665665.msg4450217#msg4450217 date=1410844981]
If we end up with an idiotic fudgeing no vote i swer down il kill toom
[/quote]12 HOURS UNTIL FREEDOM PAL[/quote]You don’t fuckin understand how fucking nervous I am. If we don’t get it we’re fucked.

Are you for real Fat Cookies? Like, fucking wow. How can you possibly think Scotland is better off with you fucking lot sponging off us?

[quote=“Ruby, post:14, topic:546768”]Are you for real Fat Cookies? Like, fudgeing wow. How can you possibly think Scotland is better off with you fudgeing lot sponging off us?[/quote]nobody wants to live in a world where people like you arent controlled by a sober government

The basic facts are that Scotland accounts for 8.4% of the UK population, 8.3% of the UK’s total output and 8.3% of the UK’s non-oil tax revenues - but 9.2% of total UK public spending. [citation needed]

[citation found] http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16477990

oh, and your oil is going to run out in about 40 years tops, enjoy your freedom.

[quote=“Fat Cookies, post:16, topic:546768”][quote author=Ruby link=topic=665665.msg4450601#msg4450601 date=1411062841]
lot sponging off us?
[/quote]

The basic facts are that Scotland accounts for 8.4% of the UK population, 8.3% of the UK’s total output and 8.3% of the UK’s non-oil tax revenues - but 9.2% of total UK public spending. [citation needed]

[citation found] http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16477990[/quote]Scotland alone contributes to 68% of the UK’s GDP, and 92% of the UK’s industrial workforce actually work in Scotland. It’s also a thriving hub of cultural heritage that would be a great shame to lose, so we don’t want any more of yae English scum occupying Edinburgh thanks pal.

[source] http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-3486398

[quote=“Fat Cookies, post:16, topic:546768”][quote author=Ruby link=topic=665665.msg4450601#msg4450601 date=1411062841]
lot sponging off us?
[/quote]

[citation found] http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16477990

oh, and your oil is going to run out in about 40 years tops, enjoy your freedom.[/quote]
So if we’re accountable for outputting more than we’re inputting then why are you lot so fucking eager to keep us?

We need independence to stop the use of foodbanks, to fix our roads, to keep our health service and to take Scotland into the great lands it could be in. 40 years is what the no campaign say, but other experts are putting it at over 100 years. 40 years is the minimum amount of oil there possibly could be, that’s common knowledge by now. Nevermind all of the oil under Faslane that could finally be harvested after you take your nukes away to fuck

stop foodbanks? u wot m8?
You already manage your own road maintenance.
Your health service?

The whole 40, 100 years is irrelevant, it’s a finite resource…

Please stay!111!cos0!1!

[quote=“Fat Cookies, post:19, topic:546768”]stop foodbanks? u wot m8?
You already manage your own road maintenance.
Your health service?

The whole 40, 100 years is irrelevant, it’s a finite resource…

Please stay!111!cos0!1![/quote]
We don’t have the money to support the families who need it most, or fix our own roads even if we have the power. With an independent Scotland this money will come eventually, it’s a step towards change rather than sticking with a Tory government that does nothing but try to benefit itself. Especially when we didn’t vote it in.