Rep Return

sinisoul not home right now, leave a message

beep

isn’t that the purpose

So we’ve had all sorts of different kinds of rep systems in the past, I’ll try to recall them:

1. Standard SMF Rep++/Rep-- unlimited.
  2. Only Rep++, no Rep–
  3. Vbulletin-like rep, give one rep for every 13 rep you have.
  4. Vbulletin-like rep like above with Rep-- only removing 1.

And every single one of them was abused, made people upset, caused a headache for staff, and really didn’t add much or anything to the forum. There were even different guidelines on how it was supposed to be used and how the staff handled disputes, it was reset at LEAST 4 times and always reverted back to being useless before it was finally removed.

Needless to say, I’m against any type of rep system unless it’s significantly different than it was before, such as a thanks system or similar, of which there are none for SMF 2.0.X that I know of.

I installed a mod on the test forum that was based around liking a post and renamed it to “Thank” so it was basically a thanks system, I think I posted an image on here somewhere.

EDIT - Yep,

https://www.moparisthebest.com/smf/index.php/topic,660898.0.html

Few errors with the text in the image but easily fixable. Thoughts?

Do what YouTube does; Like or Dislike.

[quote=“Moparisthebest, post:43, topic:545067”]So we’ve had all sorts of different kinds of rep systems in the past, I’ll try to recall them:

1. Standard SMF Rep++/Rep-- unlimited.
  2. Only Rep++, no Rep–
  3. Vbulletin-like rep, give one rep for every 13 rep you have.
  4. Vbulletin-like rep like above with Rep-- only removing 1.

And every single one of them was abused, made people upset, caused a headache for staff, and really didn’t add much or anything to the forum. There were even different guidelines on how it was supposed to be used and how the staff handled disputes, it was reset at LEAST 4 times and always reverted back to being useless before it was finally removed.

Needless to say, I’m against any type of rep system unless it’s significantly different than it was before, such as a thanks system or similar, of which there are none for SMF 2.0.X that I know of.[/quote]

I seem to remember discussing a thanks mod with you ages ago that you were quite fond of but it was for 1.X.X I think. I’m sure you said you’d give it a test and see if you could convert it, did you ever get round to that?

Is that the one you installed, Tom?

http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/wp_aura

Does MySQL have something comparable to a SSIS package? All you would do to implement the above is allow users to add scores and then run the package every 24 hours to calculate their auras.
If you were to use the existing +/- binary then you could just have two aura types. Alternatively, you could allow the giver to specify the ranking.

Anyway, it’s a qualitative measure rather than a quantitative one. So it is less likely to lead to needless circlejerking and perhaps more likely to depict actual community perception of someone. Even if a person’s friends did rep them under this system, they would remain ‘Tentatively X’ unless the community at large did too.

Further, reading here: http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/wp_smileysystem. This could be the interface used for voting here.

i really dont care if it comes back or not because its most likely going to be abused

registered today
acts like they know how the abuse came about and what it stemmed from

no thanks

I cleaned this thread up and I’ll be monitoring it in the future. If you guys want to flame each other take it to PM’s or a different forum.

[quote=“Lothy, post:47, topic:545067”]http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/wp_aura

Does MySQL have something comparable to a SSIS package? All you would do to implement the above is allow users to add scores and then run the package every 24 hours to calculate their auras.
If you were to use the existing +/- binary then you could just have two aura types. Alternatively, you could allow the giver to specify the ranking.

Anyway, it’s a qualitative measure rather than a quantitative one. So it is less likely to lead to needless circlejerking and perhaps more likely to depict actual community perception of someone. Even if a person’s friends did rep them under this system, they would remain ‘Tentatively X’ unless the community at large did too.

Further, reading here: http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/wp_smileysystem. This could be the interface used for voting here.[/quote]

That is quite cool.

I guess Newty needs to join that list of massive moparscape faggots considering hes now warning some members but not his good friend elrick who as I saw was also flaming ashi

[quote=“Miss Silabsoft, post:54, topic:545067”][quote author=Newty link=topic=663945.msg4439960#msg4439960 date=1406244677]
I cleaned this thread up and I’ll be monitoring it in the future. If you guys want to flame each other take it to PM’s or a different forum.
[/quote]

I guess Newty needs to join that list of massive moparscape faggots considering hes now warning some members but not his good friend elrick who as I saw was also flaming ashi[/quote]

I did warn Elrick. Not that you should be able to see those logs anyways nor should anyone be telling you who is being warned. I also warned sinisoul who I’m just as friendly with. You and Ashi were the main culprits here and there’s no denying it lol

[quote=“Newty, post:55, topic:545067”][quote author=Miss Silabsoft link=topic=663945.msg4439989#msg4439989 date=1406256052]

I guess Newty needs to join that list of massive moparscape faggots considering hes now warning some members but not his good friend elrick who as I saw was also flaming ashi
[/quote]

I did warn Elrick. Not that you should be able to see those logs anyways nor should anyone be telling you who is being warned. I also warned sinisoul who I’m just as friendly with. You and Ashi were the main culprits here and there’s no denying it lol[/quote]

watches, warnings, moderations and mutes are publicly viewable

[quote=“Newty, post:55, topic:545067”][quote author=Miss Silabsoft link=topic=663945.msg4439989#msg4439989 date=1406256052]

[/quote]

I did warn Elrick. Not that you should be able to see those logs anyways nor should anyone be telling you who is being warned. I also warned sinisoul who I’m just as friendly with. You and Ashi were the main culprits here and there’s no denying it lol[/quote]

I didn’t deny that I think Elrick and Ashi are the biggest abortions to the forums since drunk on java I just think its shitty moderating that the one you create special topics for in the off topic section gets off lighter when he was involved in the flaming as well.

[quote=“AtomicInt_, post:56, topic:545067”][quote author=Newty link=topic=663945.msg4439996#msg4439996 date=1406257301]

I did warn Elrick. Not that you should be able to see those logs anyways nor should anyone be telling you who is being warned. I also warned sinisoul who I’m just as friendly with. You and Ashi were the main culprits here and there’s no denying it lol
[/quote]

watches, warnings, moderations and mutes are publicly viewable[/quote]

Woops, my apologies then, didn’t realize everyone saw the watched bubbles. I warned the following people:

Elrick +5
Miss Silabsoft+15
sinisoul +10
Ashi +25

I gave points based on how many posts I had to remove/how offensive the post was.

silabsoft left this gem

I'd just like to take a moment and recognize that Elrick and Ashi have to be THE BIGGEST FAGGOTS these forums have ever produced. Kudos MITB staff for allowing such abortions to exist on these boards.

I removed 2 posts from Elrick. One was a direct response to silabsofts post that said “I do what I can”. No points for that one. The other one was a decent size post that definitely deserved a warning.

Ashi actually should have his warning lessened slightly. I thought that I removed more posts from him but it looks like it was only 2 or 3.

Anyways, thats my justification.

edit: seeing as everyone can see the watched bubble it looks like I should have just went ahead and done a minimum of +10 to everyone so it didn’t appear that Elrick was getting special treatment. I wasn’t intending for it to look like that however the quirk in the warning system is that it only shows the watched bubble when a user has reached +10. So even if a user is warned with +5 it doesn’t appear to the public that there was a punishment handed out.

I’ve just found the edited modification that was the thanks mod in the link I posted above, I’m gonna be applying some changes to the forum over the coming days so I’ll reinstall the modification and try it out. That being said if I’m going to push it to the live forum I want some input from the community, so do you guys like the idea of a thanks mod or not? Or would you prefer something like what Lothy posted? There’s configuration to consider with the thanks system such as should a users total thanks be displayed, the amount of times they’ve thanked others, should their be a limit, and should thanks be displayed on the post?

You mean something like this http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/?mod=1890 ?

Tom, the mod you linked to seemed nice