Rulereric files lawsuit against jagex!

He called me and let me know he filed a lawsuit against Jagex, and that it was all public record and I could share it all that I want. But I’m getting ready to leave and I can’t look for it yet, so I figured one of you guys could find it. Post links here.

http://www.impsoft.info/10-29-11%20Filing.pdf

tl;dr the lawsuit is about jagex using a 3rd party to buy ibot?

need tl;dr version, am not a legalfag

tldr version: impsoft is alleging that jagex used underhanded tactics to obtain access to customer information shared with jagex lawyers with a court order stating that it wasnt to be shared with jagex themselves, which they then used to send the threatening emails ibot users have recently received.

How did his previous court case turn out, btw?

not finished yet

[quote=“Mopman, post:7, topic:419963”]not finished yet[/quote]This shall be a turning point, possibly?

What does this mean for Jagex, for Impsoft, for iBot users?

if he goes public with it enough its going to be a blackeye for Jagex regardless of the outcome.

[quote=“Mark [GenoDemoN”]link=topic=16722.msg193933#msg193933 date=1319926769]
Please read the following document that we just filed with the court. I would try to give a shorthand but to truly understand the severity of the actions made by Jagex you should read the whole filing. Have a great afternoon.

DOWNLOAD: http://www.impsoft.info/10-29-11%20Filing.pdf

EDIT: As to request on when we will be back on line, we have been working non-stop to defend the integrity of the US Court System and protect our patrons. We will do our best to come back on line ASAP.

EDIT2: Doc. No. 82 in the civil case 1:10-cv-10216-NMG in the Massachusetts District Court.

:r_rightsmil:
/Mark Snellman[/quote]

edit:

On Tuesday, October 25th, Fagex contacted many of our customers via email stating that they had "strong evidence that you may have purchased and used botting software in the past, specifically ibot software". The email later goes on to threaten that if you do not stop botting you may be named in a lawsuit based on DMCA violations which is pending in the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California. Since then, there have been many rumors spreading throughout the community as to how Fagex got a hold of, and planned to use this information.

Earlier this year, Fagex’s lawyers subpoenaed PayPal for information regarding purchase information of bot customers. Knowing how sensitive this information is, and how much we care about our customers, our lawyers immediately responded to this subpoena to question their intentions. Their lawyers specifically made it clear that this information would not be shown to any Fagex employees. To ensure this, we filed a protective order on the information with the courts to make it illegal for their lawyers to show any of the information to Fagex employees.

Later this summer, Fagex illegally circumvented the protective order. To dupe the courts, Fagex filed a separate suit in the California Federal Court (Fagex Limited vs. John Does). The courts in the State of California did not know about the protective order, and granted Fagex’s lawyers access to the PayPal information again with another subpoena for that case. Of course, this time, there was no protective order. This is a mockery of the U.S. legal system.

We were not made aware of these actions by Fagex until we learned of the emails going out this past Tuesday. Since then, our lawyers have been preparing an emergency motion to submit to the courts explaining what Fagex has done, and the demands we have regarding their actions. This filing was submitted to the courts and made public today. The filing can be publicly read from a PDF document here. If this interests you, we encourage you to read and then re-read this filing for a full perspective on the situation (case filing starts on page 5).

A notable summary of the demands made in the filing are as follows:
Ordering Fagex to dismiss the case in the State of California (Fagex vs. John Does).
Ordering Fagex to immediately destroy any and all information obtained from the PayPal subpoena.
Ordering Fagex to take no action against any of the customers or RS accounts of the customers that they received from the subpoena.
Ordering Fagex to resend an email to all affected customers retracting the statements made in the email sent out earlier this Tuesday and to publicly post an apology on their main websites stating the same.
All demands can be found within the filing on pages 26-27.

It is also noteworthy that this filing is a motion to file an extended motion, so it will not contain all exhibit information. The full motion, including all exhibits, should be available Monday. We will follow up with a link to that filing when it becomes publicly available as well. Being an emergency motion, a decision of these demands by the Judge should be made within the following week. The maximum decision time is two weeks.

In conclusion, nothing is more important to us than our customers. We have and always will fight to protect our customers in every way possible. We are extremely apologetic for any ill-concerns this mess may have caused you. We hope by publicly keeping you informed on the situation, you all will understand this very important fact.

The apology on the main webpage would be rather awesome.

A few players know about it.

Link:

Yeah we were wondering about this earlier in the week when we saw ibot being specifically targeted, and with the ongoing lawsuit ruler only said to wait till sunday. This shows a pretty callous disregard for their customers and shouldn’t look good to a judge.

Another case of a sad company preferring litigation over innovation.

[quote=“eXemplar, post:14, topic:419963”]Yeah we were wondering about this earlier in the week when we saw ibot being specifically targeted, and with the ongoing lawsuit ruler only said to wait till sunday. This shows a pretty callous disregard for their customers and shouldn’t look good to a judge.

Another case of a sad company preferring litigation over innovation.[/quote]
Does it effect their current case, though?

Nice, I figured they got the email addresses for ibot purchasers one way or the other, can’t believe they did an end-run around the court they are currently working with though, that’s ridiculous and has to make Jagex look bad to the judge in the case.

edit:
After reading that filing, I think there is a good chance jagex’s case will be flat out dismissed against impsoft, because it is obvious they knew what they were doing and went against the courts ruling, and they cited plenty of existing case law where plaintiffs did the same, and had their case dismissed for bad conduct before. It looks like ruler really has jagex over a barrel on this one.

I’d love to see an apology on runescape’s website too, but I don’t see that happening.

[quote=“Moparisthebest, post:16, topic:419963”]Nice, I figured they got the email addresses for ibot purchasers one way or the other, can’t believe they did an end-run around the court they are currently working with though, that’s ridiculous and has to make Jagex look bad to the judge in the case.

edit:
After reading that filing, I think there is a good chance jagex’s case will be flat out dismissed against impsoft, because it is obvious they knew what they were doing and went against the courts ruling, and they cited plenty of existing case law where plaintiffs did the same, and had their case dismissed for bad conduct before. It looks like ruler really has jagex over a barrel on this one.

I’d love to see an apology on runescape’s website too, but I don’t see that happening.[/quote]

I read possible outcome is jagex emailing all players previously emailed retracting their statement. Wow first this and now rsbuddy seems to be running again, what will jagex fuck up next.

Anyone have a copy of what they stickied on the forums? The C&D?

Saw this on the forum RE: a missing sticky.
“It got unstickied and I watched as it floated into the abyss,does this mean that the botters legal claims are legit?”

Erasing something potentially useful?

If they’re ordered to issue a public apology then they don’t have a choice in the matter. Failure to comply with court orders would have them laughed out of the court during any future attempt to sue.

j. Ordering Plaintiff to take no further action to ban or prohibit Defendant's bots from working with any of Plaintiff's games, including any games developed by its successors or assignees of Plaintiff and/or its directors both current and who were directors at the time this suit was filed.

Wouldn’t that be a laugh. Also, the apology on their front page for an entire year would make them a laughing stock.
:smiley: