Tracking player count over time

So after Jagex’s horrendous admission that 60% of their active players were actually bots, I was curious to see if anyone had kept any statistics over time on the actual active player counts. Unfortunately it doesn’t look like there has been and the domain is excluded from the wayback machine, so any historical data for funsies is out the window as well.

I looked around for a quick, easy way to keep track from now onwards and it turns out google docs is fantastic; five lines of code later it’s scraping the runescape homepage and dumping date+counts into a spreadsheet. There is a limit of 400,000 cells per spreadsheet which means I’ll be able to keep grabbing the data for the next 22 years (ish) and it also emails me when the script fails (just in case their website undergoes any redesign). Unfortunately they don’t publish a world list outside of the client anymore so I won’t be able to pull any cool stats out like members vs non member numbers, but you get that.

It will be interesting to plug this into the google charts api (or some other such fancyness) along with dates such as when any major bots come online.

For anyone that’s interested, this is all the code:

[code]function myFunction() {
var count = UrlFetchApp.fetch(“http://www.runescape.com/title.ws”).getContentText().match(/([\d,]+) people currently online/im);
var forums = UrlFetchApp.fetch(“http://services.runescape.com/m=forum/forums.ws”).getContentText().match(/([\d,]+) active users/im);

var sheet = SpreadsheetApp.getActiveSpreadsheet();
var start = sheet.getRange(“j2”);
var cell = sheet.getRange(start.getValue());
var ct = 0;
while ( cell.offset(ct, 0).getValue() != “” ) {
ct++;
}
cell.offset(ct, 0).setValue(Utilities.formatDate(new Date(), “GMT”, “yyyy-MM-dd’T’HH:mm:ss.SSSZ”));
cell.offset(ct, 1).setValue(count[1].replace(",", “”));
cell.offset(ct, 2).setValue(forums[1].replace(",", “”));
start.setValue(cell.offset(ct, 0).getA1Notation());
}

function viewsinc() {
var cell = SpreadsheetApp.getActiveSpreadsheet().getRange(‘j1’);
cell.setValue(cell.getValue() + 1);
}[/code]
With a trigger on myFunction to run every hour and a trigger on viewsinc to run when the ss opens (made a few changes since the first one, so a few more lines than 5 now :P).

Aggregating information on membership numbers, maximum players online, and total number of players [and occasionally stuff like membership cost, number of worlds].

22 December 2004
http://www.webcitation.org/62pxsUcNj

Java MMORPG sees 90,000 players online at the same time as well passing the active player count of 2 million
[Ed: active is played in last two weeks] for the first time

Key facts:
183,000 subscribers to members version

membership costs: $5 per month
60 game worlds

19 April 2006
http://www.webcitation.org/62pxUMV7j

Many of the others stop in 2005, so it’s hard to get an accurate up-to-date picture, but the light blue line representing Runescape seems to be finally taking off, cresting the 500,000 barrier [Ed: paying subscribers] – an impressive feat for a game started by a couple of students.

[Ed: Also valuable, a graph of historical data.]

6 May 2007

http://www.webcitation.org/62pwaQSn9 [Supported by http://www.webcitation.org/62pwqVpM9].

UK developer Jagex has told Mercurynews that it now has over 1 million subscribers who pay $5 a month each. Additionally, according to Gamedaily more than 9 million players are trying out RuneScape for free. That makes for a hefty total userbase of over 10 million RuneScape players!

1 February 2008
http://www.webcitation.org/60XATCGvB

On January 21, Martin Luther King Day in the US, when stock markets in the rest of the world were going into meltdown, a record 250,000 people logged into the realm of Gielinor, the creation of Jagex, a little-known Cambridge company.

When Jagex allowed subscribers to create their own houses, such is people’s obsession with property that 100,000 signed up as paying subscribers. The number of free players is still far greater: in all, six million have played over the past fortnight.

2009 - unknown
http://www.webcitation.org/62pwztsSV
Let’s take a look at the top MMO subscriber populations. Remember that these figures come from the developers or publishers and they all apply slightly different criteria to count active subscribers. Some of the figures are based on revenue and subscriber estimates. This article is only examining games so social MMOs like Second Life are not counted. These are rounded figures.

Runescape – 1,300,000 (2009)

22 May 2009
http://www.webcitation.org/62pwKtQUX

RuneScape, the longstanding free-to-play MMORPG, now enjoys over 8.5 million active subscribers. [Ed: Pretty sure these are members.]

17 July 2009
http://www.webcitation.org/60X9awk6c

Jagex’s Runescape is one of the most popular MMOs in the world. And it is certainly the most popular browser-based MMO, with over over 156 million accounts registered to date and in excess of 104 million active players that have spent (often inordinate amounts of) time on the game.

“Jagex uses a secure system, built from the ground up. We’ve written all the code in-house. It has to work. The game has 10 million active players per month. And of course, it is 24/7,” Gerhard explains.

Off-topic but funny:

“I think of Jagex first and foremost as a technology company,” Gerhard told TechRadar. “We have millions in our community and as a result there is always a subsection of any community that is ‘unsavoury’… and we get in the region of 200,000 denial of service (DoS) attacks a day,” he reveals, clearly proud that Jagex’s servers are among the most secure in the world.

… maybe if you count every computer used in a botnet as a denial of service attack.

[hr]

I think it’s interesting to note that at least 1 million was cited in 2007, and 1.3 million was cited in 2009. Notice how for the interview sources for 2009 they do not express the user statistics in number of subscribers anymore, but rather in number of accounts or players active in a time frame. This suggests that membership subscriptions were stagnant at least in the 2007-2009 period.

[03:37:23] -[OP]RuneScript- *** [ PLAYERS ]: There are currently 31,762 players online on 161 servers 197/server, 9.86% capacity. The online record is 252,295 set on Aug 8 2011.

There’s your peak(including bots obv), I’ll see if there’s a way to use the player feature on runescript to spit out some history

I was always curious about the player count over time. Wonder why someone didn’t do it. There are normally people who do things just for the sake of it. ALL THOSE YEARS OF POSSIBLE RESULTS!

Send an e-mail to jagex and see what you get. I’m sure they’re bound to keep statistics like that - but whether they completely ignore you or hand them over. That’d be cool.

[quote=“bootnecklad, post:4, topic:420104”]I was always curious about the player count over time. Wonder why someone didn’t do it. There are normally people who do things just for the sake of it. ALL THOSE YEARS OF POSSIBLE RESULTS!

Send an e-mail to jagex and see what you get. I’m sure they’re bound to keep statistics like that - but whether they completely ignore you or hand them over. That’d be cool.[/quote]
offer monies

I had one going for a couple months or so back in ought seven. Good times, good times. Would have been interesting seeing the drop in “players” after the flopped bot massacre a few days ago.

[quote=“Rictoo, post:6, topic:420104”]I had one going for a couple months or so back in ought seven. Good times, good times. Would have been interesting seeing the drop in “players” after the flopped bot massacre a few days ago.[/quote]How was it a flop?

How do we know these numbers are even real?

I would say because if they were going to make up numbers, you would expect them to be small. What game wants to admit 60% of all its players and 90% of it’s free players are bots?

[quote=“Moparisthebest, post:9, topic:420104”][quote author=Unhandled link=topic=522663.msg3802623#msg3802623 date=1320172342]
How do we know these numbers are even real?
[/quote]

I would say because if they were going to make up numbers, you would expect them to be small. What game wants to admit 60% of all its players and 90% of it’s free players are bots?[/quote]
Besides, it’s easily seen with comparing the current amount of players online vs that of a month ago.

No it isnt. Once RSBuddy fails to come back those ‘waiting’ for it will come back to play legit (the non-hardcore botters)

Plus the game will grow at a much faster rate. A month ago if you made a new account the first thing you saw was level 3s advertising websites.

Jagex said they barely took an income hit because most members who botted would bot on f2p accounts and transfer the cash.

[quote=“Frell, post:11, topic:420104”]No it isnt. Once RSBuddy fails to come back those ‘waiting’ for it will come back to play legit (the non-hardcore botters)

Plus the game will grow at a much faster rate. A month ago if you made a new account the first thing you saw was level 3s advertising websites.

Jagex said they barely took an income hit because most members who botted would bot on f2p accounts and transfer the cash.[/quote]
i heard otherwise at runefest

funny cause thats where I got that info from…

the income hit is what i was referring to

newbiehacker used to track player numbers on some hosting I gave him but pretty sure it’s long gone and deleted :frowning:

[quote=“t4, post:14, topic:420104”][quote author=Frell link=topic=522663.msg3802943#msg3802943 date=1320193962]
funny cause thats where I got that info from…
[/quote]
the income hit is what i was referring to[/quote]
They said it didn’t really affect them

[quote=“Frell, post:16, topic:420104”][quote author=t4 link=topic=522663.msg3803132#msg3803132 date=1320207865]

the income hit is what i was referring to
[/quote]
They said it didn’t really affect them[/quote]
i recall them saying it was a costly business move, but they wanted to do it for the sake of the game?

[quote=“t4, post:17, topic:420104”][quote author=Frell link=topic=522663.msg3803220#msg3803220 date=1320227661]

They said it didn’t really affect them
[/quote]
i recall them saying it was a costly business move, but they wanted to do it for the sake of the game?[/quote]

I think they said they took a hit, but they were fine with it. I think the “for the sake of the game” argument was more for losing 60% of their active ‘userbase.’ Otherwise, it might’ve referred to the goldfarmers, which probably had way more members than the botting community.

[quote=“Taharok, post:18, topic:420104”][quote author=t4 link=topic=522663.msg3803620#msg3803620 date=1320264314]

i recall them saying it was a costly business move, but they wanted to do it for the sake of the game?
[/quote]

I think they said they took a hit, but they were fine with it. I think the “for the sake of the game” argument was more for losing 60% of their active ‘userbase.’ Otherwise, it might’ve referred to the goldfarmers, which probably had way more members than the botting community.[/quote]
goldfarmers never have memberships.

[quote=“Miss Silabsoft, post:19, topic:420104”][quote author=Taharok link=topic=522663.msg3804693#msg3804693 date=1320356651]

[/quote]
goldfarmers never have memberships.[/quote]

Normally I’d argue for your sources, but seeing as you’re in china, I’m presuming you know. :stuck_out_tongue: